Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to post an important update to my thread below, about my computer shutting down for no reason.

Well sure enough, IT WAS A VIRUS.

I was running McAfee today and my computer shut down. Now that I think about it the last time I ran it, my computer shut down.

Then I started getting new Windows icons and messages about some Vista Antivirus 2010 and how I have 30 worms and viruses on my computer. And I have to b uy this program to get rid of them, all appearing to be Windows with the icon installed on my computer and everything.

I could not get rid of those messages and that is when I realized it was a virus. I contacted McAfee, paid the $$ and they removed it from my computer.

The tech reassured me if I didn't put my CC info in then all is ok. But I am still worried, is he right? Could that being on my computer have recorded passwords or account numbers of other sites I have been to? Anyone know about viruses?

BTW, Spybot and McAfee did not pick this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
In the future you should post to your original thread for updates. Antivirus 2010 is not a data miner, it's a rogue AV app (or scareware), it's sole purpose is to get you to pay for it, it does not track keystrokes or entered passwords, unless there's a new version out that I'm not aware of.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
They have a new word for that type of malware - ransomware. It is bad stuff.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Actually ransomeware is entirely different, it encrypts files or data and prevents access to it until a fee or "ransom" is paid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware_(malware)

Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
McAfee probably can detect and remove that particular malware now, but one or two things might have happened:

1) The current definitions at the time of infection could not prevent the infection, or your definitions were not up to date.

2) Once your system had the malware installed, it prevented further updates (possibly via DNS hijacking), and prevented any scheduled scans from running.

In my experience, most people with infected systems keep using them long after their system is showing multiple signs of being infected with malware, which just makes the problems get worse.

I recently read about a new virus (turns your computer into a zombie bot-net computer) which actually detects infections of other similar viruses, and removes them, so that it alone can take over your computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers