Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:16 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

Avast. I've been using it for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM

335 posts, read 1,311,232 times
I have very good results with Avast.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:58 PM

353 posts, read 552,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is free.
AVG has a free edition.
Avast, Avira, and others have free editions.
Right now, I'm liking MSE. It includes malware protection as well as antivirus.
(Did I mention that I am partial to FREE?)
These are all the free ones I know of also. I don't use MSE but have heard a lot of good things about it.
Don't use anything from Norton. They cause more problems than the Virus's themselves.
Komando.com is a good site for free, trustworthy stuff.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
Ive been using avg for a few years. I like it. Never had a reason to try anything else. Heard good things about avast though.

Old 01-22-2021, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 396 times
Using right antivirus is quite effective for routine security protection. I normally use AVG and Avast in my devices. They both perform very well in both malware protection tests and those of other software testing labs.

Specially Avast is best comparatively better option for me. While it may not have the very lightest resource footprint, it is far from the heaviest. It has also been in the top tier of security suites for several years running from multiple third-party testing evaluations. Avg is also a very good option as it offeres some extra features.Its one of the top premium internet security suites reviewed by famous editors. Compare Avast and AVG – An Honest Detailed Comparison and get to know which is the better option.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
MS Live One Care is discontinued. They now have a free version called Security Essentials that I use. I don't know of any anti-virus software that only charges once and you get free updates after that.
Steel Man: What I read somewhere is that one has to allow Microsoft to be the DEFAULT browser in the computer. Did you have to do that? And do you had to allow them to take over your email? Thank you,

Old 01-22-2021, 04:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,519,285 times
Default sasie123

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yes, free.
No fine print.
Microsoft.

Explore Windows 10 OS, Computers, Apps, & More | Microsoft

You'll need a genuine copy of Windows though.
I am not computer savvy, so please explain to me what do you mean by "You'll need a genuine copy of Windows though." Thank you,

Old 01-22-2021, 04:17 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
If there is money to be made from designed to fight computer malware, why would one spend time developing one that is to giveaway for nothing? The saying, "there is not such thing as a free lunch" is always true.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
If there is money to be made from designed to fight computer malware, why would one spend time developing one that is to giveaway for nothing? The saying, "there is not such thing as a free lunch" is always true.
A lot of companies give away limited versions of software for free. In the case of antivirus software, there's many companies that give away a version of their antivirus software without enterprise features (remote management, etc.) but charge companies for it.

The dictionaries these use are largely free so it's not expensive to develop the shell around it.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:13 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDezi View Post
I am looking for a solid antivirus software. From the limited research I've done I found Avast to be the best but I might be mistaken. Norton, Live One Care, System-works and the other commonly known antivirus have yearly subscription fee. Is there any way around this? There must be an antivirus out there that lets you pay once for the product and let you use it for as long as you want afterwards.

If you do a quick search you will find Norton so cheap it might as well be free. Just be sure to turn off automatic renewal because then it will kick in with regular rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers