Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 PM

576 posts, read 994,137 times

Advertisements

You all have been wonderful resources in the past on computer/techie type stuff. Figured I'd try it again.

I am likely going to be purchasing a new printer. The printer I currently have doesn't have scan capacity. I'm going to be changing from a hard phone for faxing purposes (for the business we own) to an e-fax.com or something along that line for faxing things, thus the need for a scan capable printer.

AT&T's prices for your basic hard phone line, and for a line that is solely dedicated to fax only, are absolutely outrageous. So I am going to be switching to the digital method to do so. Joining this century, I suppose you'd say.

But here's the problem. The current computer that I utilize, the CD drive is broken. Has been for quite some time. Quite costly to fix it. So I haven't done so.

Last time my computer crashed, and I had to upload programs, I had to do so thru the net by downloading the drivers or whatever you call it from the manufacturer's website. For instance, I presently have an Epson printer and I have a CD to put in, to upload the software for it, but with the CD drive being broken, that wasn't an option. So I had to go to Epson's website and download the driver so that my printer would work.

So is that still how I would do it? Go buy a new printer, one that is scan capable, and then rather than load the CD, just go to the website for the manufacturer, for instance HP or whatever it is that I ultimately buy, and download the driver for that specific printer/scanner?

Or do they even do CD's anymore for the computer to read that there's a new piece of equipment that it needs to recognize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 01:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
You can do it either way. Most printers still come with a CD, but most often there are more recent drivers available on the internet.

What were you quoted to replace the CD drive? A decent DVD, CD, burning drive costs about $25 online, and they take about ten minutes to install, so I wouldn't expect a Mom and Pop shop to charge very much to replace it for you.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
Yes if it comes with a CD then you can't use it so substitute the CD portion of the instructions with downloaded drivers. It'll be a similar process it sounds, download the drivers before you start anything and then follow what it says to do.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:17 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
You all have been wonderful resources in the past on computer/techie type stuff. Figured I'd try it again.

I am likely going to be purchasing a new printer. The printer I currently have doesn't have scan capacity. I'm going to be changing from a hard phone for faxing purposes (for the business we own) to an e-fax.com or something along that line for faxing things, thus the need for a scan capable printer.

AT&T's prices for your basic hard phone line, and for a line that is solely dedicated to fax only, are absolutely outrageous. So I am going to be switching to the digital method to do so. Joining this century, I suppose you'd say.

But here's the problem. The current computer that I utilize, the CD drive is broken. Has been for quite some time. Quite costly to fix it. So I haven't done so.

Last time my computer crashed, and I had to upload programs, I had to do so thru the net by downloading the drivers or whatever you call it from the manufacturer's website. For instance, I presently have an Epson printer and I have a CD to put in, to upload the software for it, but with the CD drive being broken, that wasn't an option. So I had to go to Epson's website and download the driver so that my printer would work.

So is that still how I would do it? Go buy a new printer, one that is scan capable, and then rather than load the CD, just go to the website for the manufacturer, for instance HP or whatever it is that I ultimately buy, and download the driver for that specific printer/scanner?

Or do they even do CD's anymore for the computer to read that there's a new piece of equipment that it needs to recognize?
You can get an external CD drive. Actually, fixing the CD drive shouldn't really be that difficult. Most big cities have stores that have used computer equipment and parts. You can replace a CD drive in about 5 minutes. Really. Google the "how to" on line and you will see it's a cinch.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Or don't even bother with getting a new dvd drive. There's not much need anymore to be able to read dvds or cds, and unless you're planning to use them for storage you won't get much use out of a burner. It will be easy for you to go online to download the software you need for your printer, and that will also give you the advantage of having the latest version of the software, and avoiding installing some of the unnecessary programs that manufacturers like to include on their install disks. You may find that Windows already has all the necessary drivers for your device and it will work as soon as you plug it in. Or if it doesn't, you just go to the manufacturer's website to download what you need.

I wouldn't replace the dvd drive unless you really feel a need to burn dvds. Chances are, your computer is going to bite the dust eventually, and the next one you buy will have a working dvd burner. If you do feel the need to replace the drive, buy a new dvd burner for $20 at newegg.com. Replacement is as simple as turning off the computer, popping off the external cover, unscrewing a couple screws that hold the old drive in, pulling it out, popping in the new drive, and screwing it in. It shouldn't be expensive at all to replace. But if you've been getting along without it for a long time, chances are you won't use the new one very much. If you want a better option for backing up data, get an external hard drive, which you will be able to take with you easily if you get a new computer.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
If you want I will get a brand/model of an all-in-one (I think it was ) from one of my clients who looked into what it costs to run a printer (ink usage mainly) and has found one that is a bit more expensive than he normally buys, but the ink usage is much less.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM

The only time I miss having that CD drive is when I have to load a program onto the computer, really. I don't use it, for the most part. And I use a lil mom and pop shop for computer repairs and they quoted me $200 plus to fix it, almost $300. I just chose not to fix it.

As long as I can get the computer to recognize the equipment, so that I can actually utilize it, I'll just download it from the net.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
The only time I miss having that CD drive is when I have to load a program onto the computer, really. I don't use it, for the most part. And I use a lil mom and pop shop for computer repairs and they quoted me $200 plus to fix it, almost $300. I just chose not to fix it.

As long as I can get the computer to recognize the equipment, so that I can actually utilize it, I'll just download it from the net.
Is this a laptop or desktop?

I can guarantee you that lil mom and pop shop is ripping you off big time at $200 for this fix.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM

[quote=Tek_Freek;13068285]Is this a laptop or desktop?

I can guarantee you that lil mom and pop shop is ripping you off big time at $200 for this fix.[/quote

This is a laptop.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:33 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
What is the brand and model number of your laptop? Yours probably isn't like mine, but on a Thinkpad, the optical drives are modular and don't require any disassembly to replace. They just pop in and out by releasing a latch. $200 is still high regardless. 1/2 hour labor and $50 for the drive seems more reasonable to me.

The earlier recommendation to buy an external optical drive was good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers