Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
get the Windows key. Then download the ISO image of Windows XP Professional. Burn it to a CD. Then you can either run it from Windows or you can bootup and your computer should prompt you to boot from the CD (that is if your BIOS is set to boot from CD before booting from Hard Drive).

Then you should do a clean install which will format the drive and install windows. You'll get to a screen that asks for your key, you enter it in, and you're done.
OK - I've got the key and the ISO CD but it asks what program to open with. Can I change the BIOS to boot from the CD....after that's all done and I get a clean install I'm assuming I won't need to CD to boot up every time, it will just over ride the boot from hard drive when that particular CD is inserted, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 07:20 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
You have the ISO CD. You need to burn the ISO image to the CD as an Image, not as a file. Repeat, you need to burn the ISO "Image" to CD. You need to find a CD program that will burn ISO images, google search it. Because after you burn the ISO image, you can test it by putting the CD in the drive and then a popup should come up asking you if you want to run the setup program.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
You have the ISO CD. You need to burn the ISO image to the CD as an Image, not as a file. Repeat, you need to burn the ISO "Image" to CD. You need to find a CD program that will burn ISO images, google search it. Because after you burn the ISO image, you can test it by putting the CD in the drive and then a popup should come up asking you if you want to run the setup program.
Oh Man....THANKS...Now I got it, I decided to wait until tomorrow to reinstall but it did open!!! I d/l'ed an ISO image burner and it worked great.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:29 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Are you sure that you want to reinstall Windows? I mean, you have not exhausted repair options, and you're about to wipe everything off your computer. For example, nobody asked you what is listed in Add/Remove programs. Nobody asked you what is set as your IE home page. Nobody asked if there was a local tech you could consult. Nobody asked if you have ever installed Windows before. Are you comfortable doing that? Do you have drivers for all your hardware? Did I ask if there is a local tech?

Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM

Default Thank You All

I want to thank all that helped me with my stubborn re-direct. I finally did have to go to one of the tech support sites and it took days to analyze. With a lot of red tape and dozens of different scans/logs it finally has been removed.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,989,489 times
What exactly was it that was causing the browser to redirect?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What exactly was it that was causing the browser to redirect?
I just had to send another ComboFix log that I'm still waiting on. But, there was something called "police pro" buried hard & deep. I'm sure there were others as well. When I get the final "all clear" I can update you if you would like?

So far IE search is fast and smooth, sure hope it's finally clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers