Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 AM

43,281 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here is a list of the cheapest for basically every type of laptop. It is updated real time.

Pricewatch shopping comparison | Find and Buy all types of Notebooks at the lowest prices

That might be too complicated for our original poster.

Lately, for my basic computing needs, I just go to the dell refurbished website. I like the filterable interface. It may not be the cheapest or the best but it is pretty dependable, often free shipping, and easy downloads of drivers if I ever update the OS.

Dell Outlet - Refurbished Computers - Refurbished Laptops - Refurbished PCs | Dell

So, as an example, for $529 (and I've seen this a little cheaper on other days), here's a four gig 17 inch laptop. I think it would meet all requirements and with four gigs can handle Windows 7 (which I would use to replace the installed vista, or I'd go back to XP).

System Specification

Here's the filtering tool:

Dell Factory Outlet
I agree with the Dell Outlet approach.

And if you follow Dell Outlet on Twitter, you can occasionally collect a 10%-15% coupon for various systems and components to make it even more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
I would like to buy a laptop. On my current computer - I search the internet, have my itunes library, and manage my photos from my digital camera of my family, sometimes I watch tv shows. Thats it... nothing too fancy... Which laptop should I buy and how much should I pay? Thanks for your help.
Since your needs are simple I don't imagine that you'll want to fuss with all the anti-virus junk that is required when you own a PC. That said a refurb Apple 13" MacBook is the best way to go since virus risk for any Mac is zero.

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

While a Mac might cost a bit more upfront they last a long time with few , if any, breakdowns.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:27 AM

269 posts, read 911,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Since your needs are simple I don't imagine that you'll want to fuss with all the anti-virus junk that is required when you own a PC. That said a refurb Apple 13" MacBook is the best way to go since virus risk for any Mac is zero.

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

While a Mac might cost a bit more upfront they last a long time with few , if any, breakdowns.
I don't disagree that a Mac may be the way to go, but if you do buy a Mac go into it with your eyes open. It's not perfect and they do break, however, they have excellent service and always seem to be in the top 3 if not the best. I won't comment on the virus issue.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
I don't disagree that a Mac may be the way to go, but if you do buy a Mac go into it with your eyes open. It's not perfect and they do break, however, they have excellent service and always seem to be in the top 3 if not the best. I won't comment on the virus issue.
I've had 5 Macs over the last 10 years ant the only thing that killed them was lighting hits that kill anything electric. I've had not one other problem with any of them and all were refurbs from Apple!

Now I know that not everyone will want, or need, to spend the extra money a Mac cost but IMO you DO get a huge bang for the buck when your needs are simple, or complex with the right Mac but that's another story, by the avoidance of all the grief virus and such cause PC's. The peace of mind is worth something and that something ,to me, means no virus's or other crap that comes with PC's

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers