Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
If I want Microsoft Office, I need at least the Professional version or better, so I can have Access. The problem nowadays with Office is their greedy Licensing - before if you had Office 2003 you could install it on any amount of computers you own. So I'd put that on my two desktops and laptop computer. But Office 2007 changed that; you have to have a license for every install so it got too expensive so I just abandoned MS Office. No hope in getting a working bootleg version either. $480 for every computer install is just too expensive! I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops!

So now I just do everything with the free Open Office 3.2. Has old Office 2003 compatibility. Thank God Sun offers this software.

Did Microsoft experience a drop in sales of Office 2007 because of their greedy licensing?

How about you? What do you use?

Another greedy company is Adobe. The Master Collection costs $2599 for CS5. That's maybe why a lot of people get the bootleg version...

Look at the comments on this web page - Microsoft’s Vista and Office 2007: bad news for pirates | The Blade by Ron Schenone, MVP
try openoffice.org

http://www.openoffice.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
As usual, a bit of research will go a long way.
Just go to the Microsoft Website, and down load Microsoft Office 2010 as a beta and you will have *Office Programmes* for a long time.

From what I gather, Office 2010 will be almost free (if not totally free) if things will go the way they are going now.

Go here and read:
Microsoft Office 2010 Beta Professional Plus - Free Download

You can also google for Microsoft Office 2010 and make your own mind what to do.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I always get a kick out the number of posters that don't actually read the entire OP.

Office Professional 2003 OEM: Buy Office 2003 Professional (CD w/Key), 269-06738-DVD

Since you need Access.

You ask what I think. I think this is the best price for a Microsoft solution to your problem.

Edit: I have ordered numerous times from this company and have had no problems. The free shipping option takes about 7-10 days and comes US Post Office.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I always get a kick out the number of posters that don't actually read the entire OP.
I read the OP post again, and now I wonder ..
What does he really want ??

Old 04-17-2010, 12:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,905,304 times
The MS Office Suite I purchased last summer came with three separate license numbers on the box so that it could be installed on more than one computer.

And it is very easy to get Adobe CS at cheaper rates by using a student discount. You don't have to be a full-time student or enrolled in for-credit courses.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I read the OP post again, and now I wonder ..
What does he really want ??
Opinions, which they didn't get, even from me. Well, maybe, since I obviously came down on the side of Office with my link. OO is a great program though and I will recommend it to anyone not wanting (or needing) MS Office.

What I got a chuckle out of was the repeated suggestion to use Open Office when the OP stated in their post that they already used it.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM

OK, so the OP uses OO. Does not OO have some kind of data base programme ? (Not familiar with OO)

Old 04-19-2010, 01:13 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,889 times
People who don't have the brains to ever create intellectual property have a hard time understanding why software is expensive.

I can get one copy of MS Office Enterprise 2007 directly from MS for about $10 through the MS "Home Use Program".

Old 04-19-2010, 02:57 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,520 times
As an aside, I've seen some resumes from job applicants that were deleted by the HR folks because they were the MS Office 2007 .docx format. Even those that came in .pdf format too.

The reason: "we specifically asked for MS Office .doc format. Even .rtf would have been acceptable."

I said: "You know, there's a ton of people who are desperate for a job these days. How would you feel if you were one of those you just deleted.....".

The answer: "Well, we're drowning in resumes. And they're applying in an IT related job. They should be more detail oriented, and smart enough to know, ... NOT to assume that everyone has upgraded or will upgrade to MS Office 2007..."

She had a point. I still didn't agree with it, though.

Me personally, I'm an open source convert and I donate happily to those companies/individuals whose products I like.

Microsoft has excellent software products. I just don't need them now.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:29 PM

269 posts, read 911,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
People who don't have the brains to ever create intellectual property have a hard time understanding why software is expensive.

I can get one copy of MS Office Enterprise 2007 directly from MS for about $10 through the MS "Home Use Program".
I'm pretty sure the Home Use Program is only available for government employees. Even if it is open to non-government employees it requires the company to sign up, make enough purchases, and supply a code. Most people won't have access to the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers