U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2010, 11:00 AM

19,115 posts, read 10,974,172 times
Default Need dvd install help

This is my first time.
I mistook a FDD1 port for a IDE port, and there is only one IDE port.

The current port has a dvd writer and the hard drive. I want to install another dvd writer as a slave, and there is no port.

Can I buy a IDE ribbon cable with another plug?

The tower is a no name with AMD 64 Athlon X2 the HD is 125 gig
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:31 AM

2,893 posts, read 3,473,487 times
Yeesh,you're still using IDE?

Short answer, no, you cannot have more than two devices on a single IDE channel.

I'm surprised your system does not have a second IDE plug. It should be near the first one. If it does not, then you are out of luck, and have maxed out the available drive slots for that computer.

Does this motherboard not have SATA on it? It should be a small l-shaped plug. Looks like this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:J...s_101/sata.jpg
http://images.tomshardware.com/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/sata.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM

2,507 posts, read 4,143,497 times
On new systems, IDE is a legacy connection, and actually not even supported by the motherboard chipset. Even my C2D system built in 2006 doesn't have IDE provided by the Intel P965 Express chipset. It uses a JMicron JMB363 to provide the single PATA connection (two devices supported). Same is true of the Core i7 system I built last year. So a single, or no PATA support at all is more common now.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 PM

LOL I am on a year 2000 Dell XPST-750 with win 98 on it. This system is dying off fast now.

Friends gave me a tower with xp pro in it, a no name brand, might be a home build.

At this point I understand what I wanted to do can't be done. You guys are way over my head too.

If all SATA connectors are orange then no.

Probably this is a way out of date mother board. And like I said there is no name brand on the case anywhere.

The mother board at the top says K9N6SGM-V. I have no idea what that means but the letters are big.

Below center it says MS-7309 VER:1.0 in the biggest of all letters.

near the IDE1 there is a sticker that has a date. It says AMI Bios 1999 below the date it says VD (that can't be good ) 23, and below that 0558.

Naturally this is made in China.

All I use a pc for is to muck up my life on sites like this, e-mail, music, and dvd movies. I don't do banking or any transactions on line ever.

Who ever owned this before me caught a first virus in 2009, which is a date i assumed the pc may have first been used. I have no other way to date this no name system.

I make cars, bikes, trucks and the like go, boats and chainsaws, and work in the woods a lot. A pc helps pass time when I eat lunch, and after dinner. I stay in touch with other people I don't get to see day to day and I don't get to see just about any one day to day, so for me it is a past time.

This old Dell has tons of issues starting up and shutting down and the monitor is foggy. This old dell is my first hunk of junk, and no doubt every system i ever get will be as it seems in 90 days cutting edge is yesterdays junk.

When I bought this top shelf Dell in 2000 for waaaay to much mucho, I had the idea it would last me the rest of my life. I ain't complaining since it isn't a bad thing to have out lived this junk, but it was junk with in 90 days.

The dvd in the xp system isn't listed in system properties as a writer/burner, and so I bought a burner, but as it turns out that dvd is a burner, so I have one to put on a shelf, since sending it back will cost more in shipping than the dvd is worth.

I made a mistake seeing the empty FDD1 port as another IDE port. There is no A drive in this tower at this time, but I think there was once. It says the A drive is working in 'My Computer' but there sure isn't any A drive unit in there, and I have no use I know of for A drive, unless you guys know better.

Maybe with the info above if you want you can ID what ever the mother board is for something to do. I don't know what to tell people this xp sysem is with no brand name.. The price was right... free.

Thanks.... LOL Mediocre, I haven't got a clue what you said at all.. it looks like English is all I understand on that...

Old 05-14-2010, 02:14 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,002,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
This is my first time.
I mistook a FDD1 port for a IDE port, and there is only one IDE port.

The current port has a dvd writer and the hard drive. I want to install another dvd writer as a slave, and there is no port.

Can I buy a IDE ribbon cable with another plug?

The tower is a no name with AMD 64 Athlon X2 the HD is 125 gig
Something like this might help:

Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM

2,893 posts, read 3,473,487 times
Your bother board has TWO SATA plugs.

Take a look at the picture here: http://www.msi.com/uploads/prod_8579...421cde9978.jpg

You will see two small blue plugs near the bottom right of the board. Those are SATA.

You should be able to get an SATA DVD drive and plug it into those. There may be some configuration you have to do to enable it, but it should not be that hard.

If you don't have the manual for the motherboard and how to configure it:
MSI Global – Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM

scarmig, that looks very close if not exact, and yes there is 2 blue ports. I have no paper, and no cd's for this tower.

Thank you for the time, the picture, and the link which i haven't seen yet, but will in a moment.

Can you tell me anything else the manual might not say? Maybe a date anything at all to discribe what this is, for when I need to ask another about any problems.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 PM

TL it might, but I don't know what it is.. This is my first time to want to install any hard part in a pc. If it were a 6 wire acv stator on a bike, I would know what I was looking at and why, but it isn't.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 PM

The manual has odd names Do I need one or both?
VersionLanguageSizeDownload1.1Multi-Language2831KBM7309v1.1.zip1.0Multi-Language187KBRAID_Floppy.zip

Old 05-14-2010, 04:58 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,002,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
TL it might, but I don't know what it is.. This is my first time to want to install any hard part in a pc. If it were a 6 wire acv stator on a bike, I would know what I was looking at and why, but it isn't.
It was just an adapter I was suggesting as a workaround IF you already had the IDE drives and didn't want to buy new ones.
The picture shows an IDE to SATA adapter which means your device has an IDE connector yet the motherboard doesn't have any or another available, so you connect this $10-$12 connector in the back of your DVD/CD drive and then using a SATA cable you connect it to the motherboard like you'd a SATA CD/DVD drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers