Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:28 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The call I got for the FakeAV yesterday was running AVG.
Exactly. Since the FakeAV is NOT a virus, it is a bad idea to expect an antivirus product to remove it or prevent its entry into the PC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Yep!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Sorry to hear about your dilemma. One more caution for you...don't use your (new) debit card to order on-line. Use a credit card only as a debit card allows access to your checking account. Even though the bank will give your money back, it may take some time and can lead to other problems such as NSF's before you notice your account is empty.

I don't have any credit cards...only a debit. I love to shop online, too. Am I better off using PayPal?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
I would strongly recommend getting an actual credit card for your online shopping. There are more protections against fraud and scams than with a debit card. A debit card is a direct line to your bank account and should only be used where you would normally use cash.

A credit card will be safer and give you recourse and protection when an online deal goes bad.

I hate Paypal myself, I think they are crooks and liars. But some people like them.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I don't have any credit cards...only a debit. I love to shop online, too. Am I better off using PayPal?
I started using PayPal about 6 years ago when using eBay.

Pros: Secure way to pay bills and buy/sell on eBay

Cons: Not everyone accepts PayPal (I would guess maybe 1/4th or less of businesses use PayPal)
Like other scams you could/will get phishing emails trying to get account information through bogus websites

A credit card would be the way to go. You could get a $500-$1,000 limit credit card through your bank. If needed, you can use money in a savings account as collateral.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
I like using PayPal. Using it, I don't have to enter my credit/debit card number at the merchant web site. I always use it at ebay and at drugstore.com.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Okay, I'll admit it; I use PayPal.

It's convenient, secure and I've never had any problems with it (I'm willing to pay a little extra for that).

Almost everything I've shopped for on the Internet takes PayPal.

Some people like it and some people don't.

And as stated prior I use MSE and Malwarebytes. They're both free and work well.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
i use pay pal too, it's a great middle man

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
As a Buyer, I don't mind using PayPal since Seller/Recipient of the money pays their fees. So as a consumer, it is safer and easier than using your debit or CC.

But I am with Scarmig when it comes to using PayPal to receive money, I wouldn't want to use them ever again.
A few times I sold stuff on eBay and by the time eBay fees and PayPal fees were deducted, I almost ended up owing money!

JerseyGirl, since you do a lot of online shopping, make sure your system is clean. Run multiple online scanners on top of the ones you might have installed (but of course temporarily disable any active ones if you are going to use another scanner online or otherwise).

Protection should be your highest concern/priority. Keeping your system is always a lot easier and better than disinfecting it!

Make sure the browser you are using is up-to-date and configured in a secure manner. If the browser itself doesn't have a phishing filter integrated, get one of the freely available ones:
Free Anti-Phishing software, Download phishing freeware

Get BrowserDefender add-on (available for Firefox and IE) which warns you of websites that are known to contain malicious software.

Install Spybot Search and Destroy and use its IE blocker and Immunize features for additional protection. Immunize works with IE, Firefox and Opera.

Download and install SpywareBlaster. Similar to Spybot's Immunize feature, this program doesn't run in the backgound, it simply injects known malicious web addresses/domains in the Zones list in registry. It also works with Firefox. This program also warns/corrects about any issues it sees with your browser's security settings.

Remember legit or not, never ever click a link in an e-mail or on some third party web site to log in to your bank's or credit card company's web site. Open your browser and type in the URL manually. If you have already done that in the past then you could save it in the favorites/bookmarks list as well.

If you are using Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. Scroll all the way down to this setting:
"Do not save encrypted pages to disk" and check it.
By checking this option, the secure sites you visit do not save their decrypted secure files to your computer where a Trojan or a hacker can read that info and use it to hack into your accounts, etc.
It might also be wise to check the option that reads:
"Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"
But if you are using a temp file cleaner like CCleaner or ATF-Cleaner then it is not necessary. After each sessions make sure to delete cookies and temp internet files. CCleaner has a nice feature where you can specify which cookies you would like the program to keep so when it deletes the cookies, those cookies for sites you frequent do not get deleted: CCleaner > Options > Cookies

Before you click on a link, move your cursor over the link and in the status bar of your browser (left bottom corner), it should show you where that particular link is actually pointing at. Read the link and make sure it makes sense, if the link shows or starts with an IP address, it'd be an automatic red flag! Mostly phishing sites use IP address to disguise themselves.

These are some of the things that come to my mind at the moment that could make your online shopping a tad safer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers