U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM

4,874 posts, read 5,656,771 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

My computer survived a 3,000 mile trip via Fed Ex. When I got it set up I noticed a * No connection * type message on the monitor and I got the right wires in the right place and it was fine .

Then in the last 2 days , the Monitor ( newer flat screen type ) began flashing colors until it appeared there were only greens and yellows. The red was gone. It would go in and out. Presently its just fine. ( very normal )

So I called a Computer place and Staples. The computer place told me Video Card and began to tell me the price to come over and blah blah.

Then I called Staples. He said it could be the Computer , the Monitor or the Cord. He too quoted a high price for everything.

I believe in my gut its the wire connecting the monitor to the Tower. If I jiggle the wire , like magic its acting funny , color changes..

So from what I said does it sound like a Monitor problem related to wire connection ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,425,096 times
Look at the pins inside the end of the monitor cable. Are any of them bent out of place? The only way to really troubleshoot it is to connect the monitor to another PC or connect another monitor to your PC. See if you can find the faulty component.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Look at the pins inside the end of the monitor cable. Are any of them bent out of place? The only way to really troubleshoot it is to connect the monitor to another PC or connect another monitor to your PC. See if you can find the faulty component.
Thank you I will do that ...

Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 AM

11,659 posts, read 26,758,670 times
It is the wire. I've seen that problem dozens of time and it is ALWAYS the wire or connector.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
It is the wire. I've seen that problem dozens of time and it is ALWAYS the wire or connector.
Sooo... what do you think of the Computer Store saying it was the Video Card and quoting me an insane price to come fix it ? They never even looked at the computer , lol...

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,425,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Sooo... what do you think of the Computer Store saying it was the Video Card and quoting me an insane price to come fix it ? They never even looked at the computer , lol...
A lot of places, especially major chains, will just think of an expensive thing of the top of their head. Most people don't know squat about computers so if a tech sounds like they know what they're talking about, most people will believe them. Even if someone did need to replace a video card for you, it shouldn't be too expensive unless you have some crazy powerful gaming card. The time required is maybe 20 minutes, including uninstalling the old driver and installing the new one.

Video cards typically don't do what you're seeing. They'll usually just go out completely or their memory starts to fail and you'll get weird lines and patterns through your display. Having the whole thing change color usually means one of the red, green, or blue signals is not making it from the video card to the LCD. It *could* be a bad connection on the VGA output of the video card but more likely its a bad cable. Luckily, the video cable on most LCDs is easily replaced in 30 seconds.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 AM

11,659 posts, read 26,758,670 times
<shrug> I'm not surprised or particularly outraged. I've spent time repairing computers that some techs have scruwed up, and I've seen some techs fix problems I couldn't figure out in a month of Sundays.

A tech who is used to work in a shop has a totally different perspective from someone who has to visit on-site, spray the computer for roaches, remove the dust bunnies, and replace the cables pinched or scraped or cut by the users before starting to diagnose the problems.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
A lot of places, especially major chains, will just think of an expensive thing of the top of their head. Most people don't know squat about computers so if a tech sounds like they know what they're talking about, most people will believe them. Even if someone did need to replace a video card for you, it shouldn't be too expensive unless you have some crazy powerful gaming card. The time required is maybe 20 minutes, including uninstalling the old driver and installing the new one.

Video cards typically don't do what you're seeing. They'll usually just go out completely or their memory starts to fail and you'll get weird lines and patterns through your display. Having the whole thing change color usually means one of the red, green, or blue signals is not making it from the video card to the LCD. It *could* be a bad connection on the VGA output of the video card but more likely its a bad cable. Luckily, the video cable on most LCDs is easily replaced in 30 seconds.
I agree with you on the bad video card problem in that I checked on-line and NONE of the pictures looked anything like my monitor problem. Also for the record , since I called them and jiggled and played with the wires , my MONITOR IS VERY NORMAL , for the last day or two now. Cross Fingers *** I am a McGyver at heart ....cheaper to investigate ...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Default problm

my pc is not showing good colors.some times colors are pale nd in next moment turn into blue,green,red etc...i am worried about it.wire connection is accurate.speakers r away from PC. and i have also change settings into 32 bits.
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...help meee...

Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM

5,128 posts, read 6,180,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasam View Post
my pc is not showing good colors.some times colors are pale nd in next moment turn into blue,green,red etc...i am worried about it.wire connection is accurate.speakers r away from PC. and i have also change settings into 32 bits.
pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez...help meee...
When you have multiple suspects, always start with the simplest, cheapest one to check/replace.

Also consider the possibility that the monitor might have been damaged during the shipment but my guess is that, it is a loose or bad connection.
It may be the video card or the video cable since it worked fine for a while.

Here is what I would do:

Examine the video cable whether it is the kind with the blue ends (VGA) or white ends (DVI). Make sure the cable is not damaged in any way (cut, crushed or even discolored at certain parts). If cable looked OK, disconnect it from both the monitor and the PC. Make sure the connections and female screws on the monitor and on the PC (video card) ends are tight and secure.
Next, make sure the PC is powered off and the power cord is disconnected, remove the case cover, side panel, etc. so you can access the video card. Make sure it is firmly seated (if it is an add-in type). If unsure, I would remove the card, glance the card to make sure there are no burnt, discolored components on the card. Smell the card away from the PC to see if you catch any burnt smell. Look at the capacitors and chips on the card without touching them, make sure the capacitors are not burst or ready to burst or the chips have any damage on it. If the card looks dusty, even a little bit, get a compressed air can and blow some air holding the nozzle at least a few inches away. While the card is out, you might also blow some air in the case, more specifically on the fans and on the slots where the video card was placed. Do not hold the tip of the can perpendicular though, hold it with a 45 degree handle that way if there was some crap in there, it will get pushed out. Carefully re-insert the video card and make sure it is properly and firms seated in its slot. Tighten whatever brackets, screws, etc. might be. Close the case and plug the power cord back in.

Reconnect the video cable as well and make sure it is firm, do not over-tighten the screws though, barely snug is good.

Take a deep breath and give it another go. If the result is the same:

Replace only the video cable, if the monitor and video card accommodate another card (you have VGA cable but both monitor and video card has DVI connection), then try that as well.

If still no dice, then it might be either the monitor or the video card, leaning more towards the monitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers