Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'd rather Apple keep the OS consistent and high quality than become a real Windows rival. If Apple can do both, great, but trying to gain market share at the expense of quality is what got MS where it is today. As for the OP question, there are plenty of people here on the CD forums that use Macs, but when you look at the threads asking for computer help, they are 99% Windows related. That should tell you something about what OS has less problems and is easier for users to work with.
You're correct, very seldom that you will find someone on here saying my Mac wont do this or that.....

My daughter used a Mac to take her state RN license exam and no problems... (She Passed With Flying Colors) Matter of fact it was the one I'm using right now...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Over the past few years, I've assisted in the conversion of six PC/MS-using people to Apple computers. And yes, there was a bit of a learning curve - some took bit longer, based on their own desires, perseverance, and/or past usage... but after those initial 1-4 weeks, each of 'em has no issues - especially if you don't try to 'think' and 'do' per the MS methods. Apple OS is indeed different... some say better, some say not... but at the end of the day, thing to recall - it is different, and once the "mindset" of the Apple OS is understood, it can indeed be easier, faster, more enjoyable. Again, based on the person's own mindset too. I've used Windows-based PC's since the days of the Radio Shack Trash-80's [and still do at work], and Apples for past 6 years, and honestly there are pros/cons for both systems, but I do much prefer the OSX world. Quick story - what got me going into the Apple world was back in college, I was struggling to get some tasks done, when buddy who was a grad student and Apple fool, pulled me reluctantly into the Apple dark side, and after ~1/2 hour, had shown me the light and the ease of what it was I was needing to get done... and since then, I've been a convert. And besides, playing Mortal Pongbat was awesome too

Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Over the past few years, I've assisted in the conversion of six PC/MS-using people to Apple computers. And yes, there was a bit of a learning curve - some took bit longer, based on their own desires, perseverance, and/or past usage... but after those initial 1-4 weeks, each of 'em has no issues - especially if you don't try to 'think' and 'do' per the MS methods. Apple OS is indeed different... some say better, some say not... but at the end of the day, thing to recall - it is different, and once the "mindset" of the Apple OS is understood, it can indeed be easier, faster, more enjoyable. Again, based on the person's own mindset too. I've used Windows-based PC's since the days of the Radio Shack Trash-80's [and still do at work], and Apples for past 6 years, and honestly there are pros/cons for both systems, but I do much prefer the OSX world. Quick story - what got me going into the Apple world was back in college, I was struggling to get some tasks done, when buddy who was a grad student and Apple fool, pulled me reluctantly into the Apple dark side, and after ~1/2 hour, had shown me the light and the ease of what it was I was needing to get done... and since then, I've been a convert. And besides, playing Mortal Pongbat was awesome too
It's a matter of taste. I use a MacBook Pro, my second actually, and yes I do like it...but I maintain Windows VMs. The fact of the matter is, there are plenty of things where I have no choice but to go to Windows because Mac either (A) charges for something that's free on Windows; (B) does something less effectively than Windows or (C) requires significantly more steps to do the same simple task than Windows.

A good example: Video creation. GarageBand lets you create video tracks, and add music. But it won't let you set still images as the video stream (unless I'm missing something, and I tried everything). Nor will any free application that I can see. Yet, Windows (Live) Movie Maker does this without a hitch, costs nothing, and is quite easy to export to different formats and resolutions.

Another one: Video editing/slicing. iMovie requires way too much set up to do what VirtualDub does natively.

Another one: Video conversion. The president of my company needed to view a QuickTime MOV file on his XP box and couldn't. I could have loaded QuickTime Alternative, sure, but it's a company computer and that's not a good idea. So I figured that Apple, or specifically, MPEG Streamclip would allow me to do this? No. It converted to WMV - dropped the audio even though I told it to keep it. Converted to AVI, no video. Same file I moved over into Windows, ran it through Movie Maker, had my WMV file perfectly processed in seconds.

For the simplest of tasks, yes, Mac can do the job. For those oddball one-off things that people need done, I'm constantly going back to the Windows world. It's fine, since I'm an MCSA and MCTS and all, and I've learned to appreciate that the Apple hardware is the best for me and the demands I place upon it, but Mac OS surely does not replace Windows. There are things it can do and things it can't. As long as one understands that, they'll be fine making the transition.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I only use computer for personal use, typing correspondence and sending resumes. I used for microsoft programs for at least 10 years, just bought a mac a few months ago. I have had issue after issue. whenever I try to send a resume online, the other party can't open it. I can't print Avery labels the way that I used to,etc Are these problems common using the Imac?
Make sure you're using Word for Mac to make your resume, NOT the Word processing program from iWork. If you are using Word, make sure you convert the doc into a 2003 version, if you're using a later version. If you are using iWork, you can convert the document into a Word doc.

The Avery labels will be different, you just have to play around with it a bit.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
It's a matter of taste. I use a MacBook Pro, my second actually, and yes I do like it...but I maintain Windows VMs. The fact of the matter is, there are plenty of things where I have no choice but to go to Windows because Mac either (A) charges for something that's free on Windows; (B) does something less effectively than Windows or (C) requires significantly more steps to do the same simple task than Windows.

A good example: Video creation. GarageBand lets you create video tracks, and add music. But it won't let you set still images as the video stream (unless I'm missing something, and I tried everything). Nor will any free application that I can see. Yet, Windows (Live) Movie Maker does this without a hitch, costs nothing, and is quite easy to export to different formats and resolutions.

Another one: Video editing/slicing. iMovie requires way too much set up to do what VirtualDub does natively.

Another one: Video conversion. The president of my company needed to view a QuickTime MOV file on his XP box and couldn't. I could have loaded QuickTime Alternative, sure, but it's a company computer and that's not a good idea. So I figured that Apple, or specifically, MPEG Streamclip would allow me to do this? No. It converted to WMV - dropped the audio even though I told it to keep it. Converted to AVI, no video. Same file I moved over into Windows, ran it through Movie Maker, had my WMV file perfectly processed in seconds.

For the simplest of tasks, yes, Mac can do the job. For those oddball one-off things that people need done, I'm constantly going back to the Windows world. It's fine, since I'm an MCSA and MCTS and all, and I've learned to appreciate that the Apple hardware is the best for me and the demands I place upon it, but Mac OS surely does not replace Windows. There are things it can do and things it can't. As long as one understands that, they'll be fine making the transition.
GarageBand is designed for music, and it's basic at that. For basic video such as a simple movie clip taken with your camcorder, use iMovie. But if you want professional video editing, then you have to buy and use Final Cut Pro. Movie Maker can't hold a candle against Final Cut Pro.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:25 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
FCP is the best editing app I've ever used hands down. As for video playback, you need to understand codecs (both hardware and software) and save in the correct codec for universal use.

Quote:
For those oddball one-off things that people need done, I'm constantly going back to the Windows world. It's fine, since I'm an MCSA and MCTS and all, and I've learned to appreciate that the Apple hardware is the best for me and the demands I place upon it, but Mac OS surely does not replace Windows. There are things it can do and things it can't. As long as one understands that, they'll be fine making the transition.
I just want to point out that just because you haven't found the easy solution for those "oddball one-off" things on a Mac, that doesn't mean that they don't exist. You are in that situation where you know of a Windows solution so you use that because it is easier than the Mac solution you know.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:32 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
How about we think back to when we got our first Windows box... was it easy to use?

NOPE

Took me a couple of weeks to get used to my Macbook, so what?

I also had a hard time at first when I bought my Accura, bazillion things on the dashboard, a couple of weeks playing with everything.. so??????

How about when the industry went from C/PM to MS-DOS, same problems )(*&*%^% can't find it, how do I?

If you have an open mind the switch to a Mac is well worth it.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM

11 posts, read 18,466 times
To solve this you can partition your hard drive [/quote]

he's tryn' to learn the format to send a resume .....and your telling him to " partition his hard drive " and load/install 7even differnt things poppycock

hahaahaaha.......lolz

Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
GarageBand is designed for music, and it's basic at that. For basic video such as a simple movie clip taken with your camcorder, use iMovie. But if you want professional video editing, then you have to buy and use Final Cut Pro. Movie Maker can't hold a candle against Final Cut Pro.
Garage Band is pretty basic, but it can be fairly powerful if you know what you are doing (you know, all of those odd-ball things). Ironically, the latest version of Garage Band is still not up to par with the first Soundtrack that was released back in 2003. In its defense, Soundtrack was released as professional software, were-as GB is not. Final Cut Pro (any version) is the schtiz, but Final Cut Express is no slouch either and offers more functionality than the average computer user is going to use, let alone even think about using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post

Steve Jobs founded Pixar to make the movie Toy Story, so Macs were used. In fact, something to the tune of 100 Macs ran 24/7 for three months straight just to render the film alone. And this was back in the archaic times of 1995. I would hardly call that an easy task.

And, what does Apple charge that is free on Windows?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Yep, 7 very helpful links that helps the OP to have two OS in one machine but you missed that point to be a smart pants.
And...? That isn't amazing. I've ran 3 OSes on a machine before (PC). It isn't impossible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers