Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:51 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Until there are no hackers or other bad guys/stuff out there I will stay with "Job's Box" thank you.
Because Job's box is immune to such things?

As far as a universal OS, sure, as long as Apple doesn't control it, because you won't be able to run anything on it if Apple controls it.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Until there are no hackers or other bad guys/stuff out there I will stay with "Job's Box" thank you.
So you shifted the point of reference from the future of interfaces to the present uncommon usage of Apple in order to try and score a point.

You do realize this actually speaks against your point in the long run, because for all of Apple's innovation, they still do not get market share, and that is what drives "universal" adoption of standards.

The very point that there are fewer viruses and attacks on Apple proves that Apple is not poised for a monopoly on computer interfaces.

Look, I don't have anything against them. I'm all for everyone finding what works, and if Apple works for you, awesome. But this brand devotion to the exclusion of all else doesn't speak to an objective view of the industry.

I think you might be biased in your assessments.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
So you shifted the point of reference from the future of interfaces to the present uncommon usage of Apple in order to try and score a point.

You do realize this actually speaks against your point in the long run, because for all of Apple's innovation, they still do not get market share, and that is what drives "universal" adoption of standards.

The very point that there are fewer viruses and attacks on Apple proves that Apple is not poised for a monopoly on computer interfaces.

Look, I don't have anything against them. I'm all for everyone finding what works, and if Apple works for you, awesome. But this brand devotion to the exclusion of all else doesn't speak to an objective view of the industry.

I think you might be biased in your assessments.
There are technical/design reasons why Apple computers are less susceptible to attacks. See answer 2 below

What's the technical reason Mac's don't get a Virus? - Yahoo! Answers

nb. not saying they don't get problems just that they are more resistant.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:20 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There are technical/design reasons why Apple computers are less susceptible to attacks. See answer 2 below

The user is the weak link in any computer system's security. Windows has UAC, requiring a user to pause for a moment before giving an application permission to install or make changes to the system. The mac has the same thing but it requires even an admin to enter their password to continue. An idiot will continue either way.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Which has nothing to do with Apple becoming the "universal" interface as some may fantasize about.

Ideally, the OS itself will take on the job of identifying authenticated code before executing it, essentially moving virus and malware checking inside the kernel and validating against itself without opportunity for external interference or interception.

What some may truly fail to realize is that the universal interface is already here (we're using it right now!), and while Apple is attempting to influence it from behind the ball, it will never control it exclusively.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-29-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The user is the weak link in any computer system's security. Windows has UAC, requiring a user to pause for a moment before giving an application permission to install or make changes to the system. The mac has the same thing but it requires even an admin to enter their password to continue. An idiot will continue either way.
You can never guard against morons

Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I'm looking at it from a different angle. My first thought when I read the title (after the foobar was fixed) was, "So what? If I want to use a Word 2007 document in Word 2003 I have to run a conversion. Why not have one for using files across platforms?" Next it was, "Apple doesn't supply a converter for their files so the majority of the computing world can read them? That's dumb."

After reading some of the posts it became clear that, in order to run a mac and get along with everyone else, I had to create a second partition and run Windows in it. What the Hell?

And for myself I dislike working on an Apple computer. Not because of anything other than I'm not familiar with them and get tired of trying to figure out the convoluted mindset that places things where no sane person can find them. Wait, I said that wrong. My sanity is suspect, so....

Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And for myself I dislike working on an Apple computer. Not because of anything other than I'm not familiar with them and get tired of trying to figure out the convoluted mindset that places things where no sane person can find them. Wait, I said that wrong. My sanity is suspect, so....
I had an old macbook once and looked into upgrading the hard drive. I abandoned the idea when it appeared that I'd have to remove approximately 14,000 screws of 9,000 different sizes and practically disassemble the entire machine to get to it. Whereas the typical PC laptop's hard drive is replaceable with the removal of 1-4 screws without taking anything else apart. I also wanted to add a wireless card to it, something that would have been trivial on a PC, but the only card that would work on it had been discontinued by apple for this 3 year old machine. Apple really seems to make it as difficult as possible to NOT buy a new machine every couple of years.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
I am a MacBook Pro user. It was worth the extreme amount of cash I paid for it. Here's what I do with mine.
- If I need to create a presentation, I use Keynote (iWork). It turns out a better end product than PowerPoint, and I'm no PowerPoint slouch.

- If I need to create a document that I am not going to distribute, I use Pages (iWork), because it's faster to deal with than Word 2008.

- If I need to create a document that I need to distribute, I use Word 2008, and it seems to handle Word 2007 (PC) documents just fine.

- For spreadsheets the only option for me is Excel 2007. Period. There are features that I require that only Excel offers me, but I don't use Excel 2008 and I don't use Numbers ; I run Excel 2007 inside a VM instead.

If I'm just checking email, browsing the web or downloading pictures or something I just use the built-in Mail and Firefox on the Mac and it works well for me.

The key to a happy medium with a Mac is to understand when to use Mac OS and when to use a VM and/or Bootcamp. If you try to get Mac OS to do everything a PC can do, you will frustrate yourself. It can't and won't be able to do all that Windows allows you to do. Get VMWare or Parallels, set up a simple XP VM and use that when you need to get access to the "full experience". Use Mac OS for the "simple experience". Learn to balance the two. The real benefit of the MacBook is its hardware, period. Snow Leopard is a frustrating operating system. But once you accept that it's not a Swiss Army knife, it'll be an easier experience. I actually have an XP VM that I use to sync my Zune media library; it holds all of my music. I have two Windows 7 VMs, one is for demos, the other is a migration from my old Big Poppa Gateway laptop. I have a Server 2003 VM that is used for demos of a product I support. Had a Bootcamp setup but since the VMs work so well I trashed it.

Worst case you can just set up Bootcamp and just use that and completely ignore the Mac OS side unless/until Windows crashes and burns.

For upgrading hardware, the latest MacBooks take a few screws to remove the back panel, and a few more to remove the drive and/or memory. All can be upgraded as you see fit; Apple even provides instructions on how to do so.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
. I tried to use a Mac once. I could not find anything. Didn't know how to do anything. And I couldn't even get to a command prompt to do things the easier way. I was lost, and gave up in frustration, and took a fail on that paper that required me to use a Mac.
When you try to operate a Mac like a Windows machine of course nothing will work like you are used to since...... it's a Mac.

I've used both systems finding that Windows XP & Mac OS are very close in operation but Vista is just crap.

The sad part is rather than lean the Mac you gave up to earn exactly what you deserved.......a failing grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers