Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

I think I need to buy a new computer, and I am concerned that I will need to figure out how to remove the bloatware. I had planned to wait a few months, and then be guided by the "last used on" date displayed in the uninstaller. But, it seems that since XP was sent to the crusher, that useful information is now being denied forever to Microsoft users. Or is there a way I can still get that display?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 01:50 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
That information wasn't accurate anyway so its no loss. It wasn't going tell you anything useful anyway. If you want to remove the bloatware on your new PC, uninstall it. If you don't know what something is, either don't remove it or Google it to figure out if its an important part of Windows or something that other programs depend on. Most of it is pretty easily identified as junk.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 AM

Thanks. The reason I think I need a new PC is because my hard drive is occasionally groaning loudly, which stops when I reboot. But getting more frequent. Only ab out a year old. Easier to just plug in a new PC, than to find a new hard drive, plug it in, reload Windows, etc. Or is that easier and cheaper than I think it is? My new PC would be around $250.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
A brand new $250 PC is going to be a piece of junk unless you're somehow getting it for 1/2 - 2/3 off. I'd have to hear this "groaning" noise and run some diagnostics to have any idea what's going on. Are you sure its the hard drive and not a fan? Does the computer get very sluggish when you hear the noise?

First, you should always have a backup of your data on some external media, such as a USB hard drive. That way, if you drive were to die, you'll have your data. A one year old PC isn't old at all so I wouldn't replace the whole thing even if you had a bad hard drive. Hard drives are relatively cheap.

Getting a new drive up and running can go several ways. If the existing drive is still working, the simplest thing would be to clone it onto a new drive. That way you don't have to deal with reloading Windows and programs and restoring data. That's the most painless solution.

If you can't clone, the question would be if you have a Windows DVD or restore discs from the computer maker. Either one will work but I prefer a Windows DVD (Dell supplies these but many other OEMs do not) since it reloads just Windows and no bloatware. You'd then have to install drivers and apps.

If your computer came with restore discs, or you made them yourself using a utility on your PC, then you just boot the PC from the DVD with the new hard drive and watch while it reloads everything, usually including the bloatware.

If your computer didn't come with any discs (only a restore partition) that's where it gets tricky. If you can't find a utility on your PC to make them, you'll have to buy them from the OEM or borrow a generic OEM Vista DVD from a friend.

Another option is to buy a Windows 7 upgrade DVD and install that on the new hard drive. Instructions for installing it on brand new drive are here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp (broken link)

I can install a new drive, load Windows from scratch, load drivers, updates, apps, anti virus, acrobat reader, etc in 1-2 hours. The time to backup/restore the data depends on just how much data you have. Its likely that you have a much better PC now than you'd get for $250 if you replaced it. Even if you replace the whole computer, you'd still have to spend the time installing programs on it and getting your data onto it. So replacing a bad hard drive doesn't really take that much longer and it a lot cheaper.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 05-31-2010 at 02:36 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 09:01 AM

The one I've got only cost $250, and I'd rather pay that every year, than to pay three times as much and get power and apps that I don't need and would have no use for. I have no data in it that I need to save, so that's not an issue. Whenever I have a small file that I want to save, I just email it to myself and let Yahoo save it for me. It's not the fan, but it also does not slow down my processing while it is groaning (yet). I don't even have the savvy to diagnose the problem, so trying to fix it is out of my league.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
You say it's not the fan. Is there a fan at the front or rear of the case? If yes, and this is the one you tested, then how about the CPU fan? Have you checked it? If you haven't, then you should. Open the side of the PC turn it on, wait until it "groans" and place your finger in the center of the CPU fan. Apply some pressure and see if the noise changes.

A simple test that could save you money...

Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You say it's not the fan. Is there a fan at the front or rear of the case? If yes, and this is the one you tested, then how about the CPU fan? Have you checked it? If you haven't, then you should. Open the side of the PC turn it on, wait until it "groans" and place your finger in the center of the CPU fan. Apply some pressure and see if the noise changes.

A simple test that could save you money...
It might be a week before it groans again.

I opened the side when it was groaning, and the sound seemed to be emanating from a large square box, about 3 inches square x maybe 5" long, mounted on the back of the board, with an outward circular grille facing the back. The main PC fan, located near the center of the computer, seemed to be running quietly. The computer never heats, the top is always the same temperature as other objects in the room, even when left on for days. Although right around the abovementioned grille, it can feel slightly warmer to the touch. The fan behind that grille is not accessible, it is sealed inside that box.

I can hear a cyclical variation in the groan sound, about one per second, and that can be influenced by pressing on the back of the computer, where plugins are, or putting angular stress on the plugins. Nothing I can do stops the noise except rebooting.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:24 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
Sounds like the fan in the power supply. Is it where the plug goes? They're cheap and easy to replace.
If you want a computer minus the bloatware, buy a Lenovo refurb. (AKA IBM). I got one as a backup for $170 a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. I threw in some more memory and added a couple of cards, but it works fine.
It comes with no bloatware whatsover. At least mine didn't. Not even AOL. Most have Windows XP. Shop for the operating system you want.
Desktop Computers Guided Search at TigerDirect.com
I got mine from Tiger Direct. Other companies sell them, too. They're a good deal.
Then buy a large external hard drive and case and use that for backup.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:20 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think I need to buy a new computer, and I am concerned that I will need to figure out how to remove the bloatware. I had planned to wait a few months, and then be guided by the "last used on" date displayed in the uninstaller. But, it seems that since XP was sent to the crusher, that useful information is now being denied forever to Microsoft users. Or is there a way I can still get that display?
This free program Welcome | The PC Decrapifier will automatically do most of the cleanup for you. Then you can come back here and we'll help with any issues you have left.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This free program Welcome | The PC Decrapifier will automatically do most of the cleanup for you. Then you can come back here and we'll help with any issues you have left.
Yes, I've googled and read about that, but one never knows if its a good deal or not. Thanks. Best Buy charges $40 to decrap the PCs that they sell.

How does decrapifier work? Do you just download it and sit and watch the little bar while it decraps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers