Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1) Who the hell defrags anymore?
Everybody except Mac users.

Quote:
2) If you don't have antivirus, you're a severe liability. You do realize that the only reason Apples are so "secure" is because they have such a small market share, thus making them worthless to code malicious code for, right? I always get a kick out of guys who just go off talking up the joys of Apple who don't realize that if Apple were to gain market share, their primary means of protection would be lost. The "precautions" you need to take with a PC are "don't be a moron with your computer, and exert a little common sense".
Aw, the sky is falling, the sky is falling. My Macs could someday get a virus. I can't stand the anxiety of it. Thats it, I'm going to sell them right now, and buy a PC, with a *wore operating system that already has a half a million viruses. Then I wont have to live with the fear that someday my computer could get a virus.

Quote:
3) My guess is you're comparing your $2500 Apple to your friends $400 Dell. You Apple guys always do that. You never compare your $2500 Apple to a $1500 laptop, because at that point the Apple gets smoked in every possible way.

Actually I was comparing my 3 year old $1050 MacBook to friends Sony Vaios, HPs, and some crap Dells. I believe they are all comparably priced machines. The Sony Vaios and HPs slightly more. Dells slightly less.

Quote:
I mean really, your entire post was "hey, with my Apple I don't have to have any security, so that makes it better". Not only is that a strange argument on its own merits, but it also shows you have a severely huge false sense of security with regards to the Mac platform.
I'm scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
For starters, you don't have to defragment a PC anymore. Those who do are just wasting their time.
Thats not what Microsoft says.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...your-hard-disk

Quote:
Second, my PC laptop boots up much quicker than my apple laptops.
That should not be the case. Post the specs for your Mac, and I'll be happy to tell you what you need to do to fix it. Also I hope you understand that I was talking about the time to load all the software, including anti-virus crap.

Quote:
PC's running modern Windows OS, with modern hardare (ie SSD, etc) don't slow down over time.

I have nothing against macs, as I love mine. But PCs don't have nearly as many problems as that poster indicated. And they are certainly not slow! Modern PC bootup time is near instant with modern hardware.

Sure, PCs lack some intuitivity, but macs lack software... especially games. Each of them have their ups and downs but neither is better than the other.
You do know that any game or software that you can run on your PC, you can also run on your Intel Mac, right?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 PM

422 posts, read 789,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I've been pretty happy without a laptop. Now I'm considering taking the plunge. I use a Mac Mini at home and a Dell at work, so I'm "batting for both teams" on the platforms and am comfortable with both.

I basically need a laptop (if I DO need one) to connect to my work computer, which runs on Windows. I can do this on a Mac because of the free remote connection software that Microsoft has. But it's obviously easier to do from the Windows environment... slightly less hassle.

Now that I'm in a position to maybe buy a laptop, I find myself hesitating to get a Macbook. First, the price - at least $1000 for a basic model. Then I feel like I've heard so many complaints about Mac laptop performance - overheating, battery life nowhere near as long as claimed, bad Apple service. I've stopped at an Apple store a couple times to look, and... well.. I just don't feel in LOVE with Mac laptops for some reason, in terms of how they feel to use. Even though I love how Macs work.

But then when I consider buying a cheaper PC based laptop, I find myself leery of having virus-prone Windows software and I don't even know what the latest or best Windows OS to look for...

ARRRGH. Are there any Mac users out there who have a PC laptop and are happy with it? Which kind are you using, with which OS?
Buy a PC. Macs are limited and expensive. Only a fool will buy them. And normally they tote them everywhere to show them off. Behind the screen they ALWAYS have windows running in some form. There are a dozen apps for running windows on a mac, not one for running mac on a PC. Why? Because there isnt a need if you have a PC. Mac users always need windows anyway.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,016,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats not what Microsoft says.

Improve performance by defragmenting your hard disk

That should not be the case. Post the specs for your Mac, and I'll be happy to tell you what you need to do to fix it. Also I hope you understand that I was talking about the time to load all the software, including anti-virus crap.
Your link is for defragmenting a hard drive. Modern PC's in the same level of as Macs have SSDs. My Mac book pro is brand new (as of october). It's the fully loaded 13"... nothing is wrong with it except that it has a stupid hard drive.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM

534 posts, read 2,401,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Buy a PC. Macs are limited and expensive. Only a fool will buy them
This from someone with the word tech in their username surprises me.
Incredibly inaccurate.

p.s. But yes, buy a pc, i need more $$$ housecalls to clean up viruses. Some months it literally pays my mortgage. So yes, buy a pc!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,571,476 times
And Kaaboom personifies your typical Apple user to a T: Knows next to nothing about the actual technology or devices, but wants to feel as though he does. My thanks for providing the requisite demonstration.

For the record, I have no less than 2 dozen pieces of malicious code that are geared directly towards Apple products which would penetrate your little Mac without issue without some form of AV on your machine. So yes, they ARE out there.

Again I say: There's a reason why techies loathe Apple products, and why they have such a non-footprint in professional environments. Apples cater to a certain kind of person/market, and a professional environment or a person who actually knows something about how to leverage technology is not the target market.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
This from someone with the word tech in their username surprises me.
Incredibly inaccurate.

p.s. But yes, buy a pc, i need more $$$ housecalls to clean up viruses. Some months it literally pays my mortgage. So yes, buy a pc!
As someone who claims to be a techie, this surprises me. You of all people (I'm assuming you're simply an A+ tech that spends his days fixing granny's 8 year old desktop running 2000 ME) should know that the only people who acquire viruses on Windows boxes are the ones who don't have any common sense when it comes to technology.

For those people, Apple products are great. For those who don't need to wear a helmet to get out of bed or who don't need technology with training wheels attached, they're anathema.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:31 AM

422 posts, read 789,097 times
Quote:
As someone who claims to be a techie, this surprises me. You of all people (I'm assuming you're simply an A+ tech that spends his days fixing granny's 8 year old desktop running 2000 ME) should know that the only people who acquire viruses on Windows boxes are the ones who don't have any common sense when it comes to technology.

For those people, Apple products are great. For those who don't need to wear a helmet to get out of bed or who don't need technology with training wheels attached, they're anathema.
Exactly. Macs are great for people who want to be limited. I prefer to get the full experience with a PC.

Macs are like Tonka trucks. Pretty to play on, but try to do anything more and you cant.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
For the record, I have no less than 2 dozen pieces of malicious code that are geared directly towards Apple products which would penetrate your little Mac without issue without some form of AV on your machine. So yes, they ARE out there.
Do it, I dare you. I invite you to try and infect my Mac with your malicious code. Come on you can do it, you can do it. You're not chicken are you? Do it or S*T*F*U.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Do it, I dare you. I invite you to try and infect my Mac with your malicious code. Come on you can do it, you can do it. You're not chicken are you? Do it or S*T*F*U.
And you further exemplify the Apple user who thinks he understands tech but doesn't.

In order to infect your specific machine, I would not only have to hack this particular site, but also in all probability the web host behind the site, then ferret out your specific IP address (and hope that it's not dynamic), and work through the entire network chain leading up to your machine going the other direction, seeing as how I don't have access to certain other avenues of exploiting you (email addresses, torrent shares, etc.)

The point I was trying to make, oh dear Luddite, is that there is code out there that is targeted for Apple products and a widespread blast of said code would infect your machine and give me the same ability to compromise your data as would a malicious piece of code written to exploit a hole in some piece of PC software.

Really, you shouldn't be entering in a conversation when you lack even a rudimentary knowledge of how things work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers