Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times

Advertisements

Microslop has really been pi$$ing me off lately. First the dumb Outlook problem I posted in another thread and now I have an Office install that refuses to cooperate. Error 1935 blah, blah - HRESULT: 0x800736FD. As far as I can tell MS doesn't know what to do, or doesn't care. There are tons of suggestions about what to do, but few work, and even fewer work for me.

HP isn't any better. They no longer send a Windows CD with their computers. I called them wanting a Windows 7 CD so I could run Repair (as suggested by MS) and they don't sell them. You have to go buy one for full price. Excuse me, didn't I just buy it with this damn computer?

The first twit I talked to told me I HAD to buy it because their computers come with a 60 day trial of Windows 7.

The second twit kept telling me I could fix it using the restore in the second partition. I got hoarse trying to explain to this person why that wouldn't work. She then proceeded to tell me I could repair anything in the OS using programs supplied in the OS and didn't need a CD.

Seriously, I get sick and tired of having to deal with stupid people.

I'm off to see if I can run a repair using an upgrade CD, uh DVD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Wow, I wouldn't buy an HP computer if the OS disk didn't come with it!

But I think they sell the OS disk for laptop HPs.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM

269 posts, read 910,758 times
Does your Windows Modules Installer service run? Check if it's running, if not try and start it, if you get an error then change the following reg key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xFFFFFF (4294967295)
Reboot, run windows update, then try again.
------
I'm definately not a fan of companies not offering CDs/DVDs with their new laptops/desktops. But they should all have the ability to create the restore CDs. Of course you can't uninstall that "bloatware" before running it.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
The HP computers we buy on a bulk contract come with several disks, 2 OS disks, a Restore disk, an apps & driver disk and a Roxio disk. These are Elitebook laptops and Elite Convertible Minitower desktop machines.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Does your Windows Modules Installer service run? Check if it's running, if not try and start it, if you get an error then change the following reg key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l
Key: RegistrySizeLimit
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0xFFFFFF (4294967295)
Reboot, run windows update, then try again.
------
I'm definitely not a fan of companies not offering CDs/DVDs with their new laptops/desktops. But they should all have the ability to create the restore CDs. Of course you can't uninstall that "bloatware" before running it.
I've been through the registry edit. Thanks for that! I have also discovered (unless I'm missing something) that I can't do a Repair from this CD like I used to for XP. All I find is "Startup Repair" and those options that force me back to factory default.

HP does give the option to create Restore and Repair CDs, but I doubt they would do what I need. Well, needed. Since I'm retiring I've decided to turn this client over to the new guy ahead of schedule. This is being done for a number of reasons, with the main one being my stress level. At the end of the day today I will no longer be fighting this particular problem.

Less than a month from now I will be retired, and I am ready. The new guy is going to kick me a percentage of the business he gets from my client base, which was his idea, and I'll gladly take. My end is to be on call if they hit an odd setup (and they will!). Some of my client have some "different" equipment and it's not easy to install or maintain.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
This is one of the things I hate about Windows computers - with the OS owner and hardware component owners being different, they often pass the blame around instead of focusing on the issue. It doesn't help that many Windows computers you buy anymore don't even come with the OS disk so you can't even do reinstalls yourself. Your computer came with a license for Windows, so you can call and see what it would cost to get a disk sent to you, although it doesn't sound like support is being very helpful. One problem is MS sells various licenses to the hardware companies so depending on what license you have, you might have to get the disk from HP or MS. You already bought the license - no need to buy a second. Of course, you'll also need a disk with the drivers for the rest of the hardware on your computer, hopefully you have that, or you'll have to track down all those drivers if you do a full reinstall.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM

269 posts, read 910,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Since I'm retiring I've decided to turn this client over to the new guy ahead of schedule.
Best answer out there, screw it I retire! Congrats and enjoy it.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
..... Less than a month from now I will be retired, and I am ready. .....
Well, good luck in your retirement, Tek. I hope you'll use your spare time thinking up witty things to say here and finding bargains for us to drool over.

I'll join you in retirement land in a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers