Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,950 times

Advertisements

TLDR in bold.

I've recently applied to a software development company that was looking for a computer technician. The posting didn't mention much about the actual work involved. During the interview, the employers mentioned several times that the work involved is beyond tier 1 and is more of a tier 2 and 3 level of technical work. They then went into server administration, installs, hardware work, and various other acronyms, some of which I didn't quite understand.

Because I'm really hoping to get this job (I have a significant amount of tier 1 knowledge and experience), I'm curious as to what a tier 2 technician actually does on a day-to-day basis. I've never handled server side administration that I know of, but hardware replacement and installs are no biggy. I've done a little bit of networking, but nothing extensive (and nothing technical). Is there a list of "must knows" for Tier 2 work? Something I should be studying up on immediately if I do get the job? Something that I shouldn't really bother with? I'm a quick learner, so on-the-job training is easy for me, but I would prefer to go in prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Can you figure things out on your own?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Can you figure things out on your own?
I learned to breath on my own--that's pretty special.

I'm self sufficient. I've broken a lot of things in my life and decided it's important to learn how to put them back together. I've done this with computers for at least 10 years and technology since I was six.

But--It would be preferable to know what I'm getting into so that I don't come off as a completely incompetent--just a smidgen of incompetent.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 PM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
The first must knows would be the acronyms you weren't familiar with. It really depends on what the company uses, your biggest keys are what they mentioned during the interview. I'm guessing by tier 2 and the other items you mentioned that you are referring to server builds, racking, troubleshooting hardware/os and maybe some apps. A lot of what you should learn depends on what you use, I'm guessing it's a smaller company/shop and so it varies widely.

What OSes would you be supporting?
Hardware types?
Anything else that sticks out from the interview that you can post?

Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 PM

It isn't that I'm not familiar with the acronyms--he threw out things like SSL and talked a little about various RAID configurations--I just have never worked with SSL and I can't tell the difference between a RAID 1, 0, or 10 (or 5) because I've never worked with them.

The company has about 85 people spread out over five locations internationally. It's small company (there looks to be about 10 or so in this building) but they are international.

They said they provide some Tier 1 support for a few local business when they have the time, but most of it is spent on server work. They have their own VOIP phone servers, email servers, their web servers, etc. I've personally never worked on servers before--so I'm unfamiliar with them.

I've worked with OS X before, Linux (but I'm not proficient), and various Win OSs, (but not Win Server). They asked if I've ever built a computer before--which I have--but I get the feeling building a machine is a bit different from admin'ing a server.

The company stated they work a lot with bleeding-edge hardware and software, so I'm going to always be learning about new stuff (sometimes before it comes out to market). However, learning something entirely new is going to be difficult when I haven't even started with the basics.

The employers mentioned a couple times about it being "advance" and "Tier 2 or 3 level work." A quick searched turned out to show this was mostly administrative level technical work, and not the normal "my keyboard stopped working" style of stuff.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
I just have never worked with SSL and I can't tell the difference between a RAID 1, 0, or 10 (or 5) because I've never worked with them.

I've worked ... various Win OSs, (but not Win Server).
It doesn't sound like you're ready for level 2. Get your foot in the door at level one, learn the specific technologies this company uses, and go from there.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It doesn't sound like you're ready for level 2. Get your foot in the door at level one, learn the specific technologies this company uses, and go from there.
The company isn't hiring at level 1 according to the OP.

OP, if you have the chance to speak with them (a second interview?) stress your ability to learn quickly and that you are a self starter. If the pickings are slim for an already qualified level 2 tech that just might get you in.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:55 AM

269 posts, read 910,937 times
Still didn't give any specifics. I'll give this one more shot, are they mostly a Windows based shop, linux based shop, mixed? I'm guessing we won't find a lot of unix, mainframes, etc. What hardware manufacturer do they use for servers? Do they have other hardware they mentioned that you aren't familiar with like SAN, NAS, etc?

If you are looking for specific things to help you out with this specific job we would need specific details about what this job entails to tell you what skills to learn. Windows/Linux completely different. Hardware manufacturers are different and have diffferent tools. I can give you general things but they might not help you at all for this job.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Best thing to do if working tech support is to make sure you get an American sounding first name, it makes customers feel more comfortable.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Still didn't give any specifics. I'll give this one more shot, are they mostly a Windows based shop, linux based shop, mixed? I'm guessing we won't find a lot of unix, mainframes, etc. What hardware manufacturer do they use for servers? Do they have other hardware they mentioned that you aren't familiar with like SAN, NAS, etc?

If you are looking for specific things to help you out with this specific job we would need specific details about what this job entails to tell you what skills to learn. Windows/Linux completely different. Hardware manufacturers are different and have diffferent tools. I can give you general things but they might not help you at all for this job.
Sorry, Slippi, i'm trying to be as specific as possible.

The company called themselves a "technology integration \ custom solutions" business. They said they work with all sorts of cutting-edge technology. They are running Windows Server, but I didn't hear them say which one. They stated they run their own email server and VOIP server off it. Again, didn't catch any real specifics.

Perhaps it might be easiest to describe what exactly goes into server maintenance? I get the feeling I'm going to be working a lot with those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers