Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
rs1

41 posts, read 135,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Side note: that's the second time you mentioned something along the lines of "I wasn't replying to you". This is a forum - we all reply to each other.
Huh? I was trying to point out that I was answering about the OP's requested towns and hadn't considered Ansonia, which you just admitted you inserted mistakenly. And somehow I've done something wrong?

And the first time I did it, it was to someone who was defending himself against what I wrote, despite the fact my criticism wasn't meant for him. Perhaps I worded poorly, but my point was simply that I wasn't criticizing him.

Not too active here, but been on forums for many years. Never seen anyone ever raise this issue.

Last edited by rs1; 06-13-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 06:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwije View Post
I am married and have a little girl. Looking to move to CT for a new job and will be working in Norwalk, CT. My plan is to buy a Single family home and doing some research on Oxford, Derby, Shelton and Seymour areas.
Why would you want that commute?...Oxford, Derby and Seymour are too far to commute to Norwalk if you ever want to see your little girl awake!

Look at Fairfield, Trumbull and Shelton. There are homes of all prices in each of those towns, schools are good, and each town has a variety of amenities.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:52 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
The links below will give you information on schools in Connecticut. Shelton is the closest to Norwalk and has good schools but also would be pricier. Oxford too has good schools but it too is not cheap. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times
Thank you all for your sincere advice! After reading your responses I have narrowed it to either Trumbull, Shelton and the last choice being Oxford. Could you be able to advice the areas within these cities I should avoid?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:34 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Trumbull, Shelton, and Oxford are all very different from one another. Trumbull is very suburban, Shelton is a small city with both urban and suburban areas, and Oxford is rather rural. So you should take this into consideration. I personally prefer Oxford of those three, but that is because I'm more of a country girl.

I can't think of any area of Oxford to avoid. In Shelton, the downtown area is rather sketchy, although not everyone would be bothered by it. In Trumbull, most people prefer to avoid the area south of the Merritt Parkway. For schools in those areas, you can check Jay's link for specifics.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
I would look more South of Norwalk if you plan on commuting--the AM rushhour moves South towards NYC so living in Greenwich and working in Norwalk would be less stressful.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:43 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Why would you want that commute?...Oxford, Derby and Seymour are too far to commute to Norwalk if you ever want to see your little girl awake!
That's being a little melodramatic. From Derby to Norwalk is 24 miles and there are many people in the Valley who commute daily to both Norwalk and Stamford.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheodensQueen View Post
I would look more South of Norwalk if you plan on commuting--the AM rushhour moves South towards NYC so living in Greenwich and working in Norwalk would be less stressful.
Greenwich and most towns south of Norwalk are very expensive. Unless you have a very large budget, most people can not afford living there and that is why they are most likely looking further north and east. Also, if they could afford Greenwich then I would much soomer recommend neighboring Westport, Weston Wilton, New Canaan or Darien first. The commute would be a breeze and these are just as nice of communities. They may even be a bit less expensive. Jay

Old 06-26-2010, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,991 times
Greenwich is out of my league. That is why I am looking more towards Trumbull, Shelton, and Oxford.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Greenwich is out of most people's league. It is a wonderful town but very expensive, as are many other lower Fairfield County towns. I think the towns you are looking at are very nice. Good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut