Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 10:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My favorite thing about the Merritt wwas a quote in Engineering News Record Magazine on the old Sikorsky Bridge's metal grate deck. A state engineer was discussing the use of metal grate decking on the bridge and noted that it had been used before and worked well for "cars and horse drawn carts". Like I said it was a very different world back then. Jay
...except that that bridge is part of the Wilbur Cross Parkway which was the second phase of the project (and almost wasn't built).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
No offense folks, but i'm wondering what you're smoking if you feel that Rt.8 is more aesthetically pleasing than the Merritt.

There's a mile stretch prior to Exit 12 north that is treed and there's a stretch just beyond Seymour around Prospect/Beacon Falls that is pleasant looking, but beyond those areas, i don't see what you're seeing.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
...except that that bridge is part of the Wilbur Cross Parkway which was the second phase of the project (and almost wasn't built).
Technically you are correct. ConnDOT designated the begining of the Wilbur Cross as the west abutment of the Sikorsky Bridge because they knew the old bridge had to go and did not want to deal with a possible Historic Structure Designation. When it was built though, the name Merritt Parkway ended at the county line which is in the middle of the bridge. If you look at offical ConnDOT road maps, the section of the bridge in Stratford is named Merritt Parkway. The section in Milford is named Wilbur Cross. Jay

Old 06-22-2010, 01:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
I like to pull to the side of the road on the Merritt and fish in those little streams that run parallel to it. I back my car into the brush where nobody can see it from the road. Like I little kid when I pull out back into the road I pretend I'm Batman exiting the Bat Cave. Crazy huh?

Last edited by Rich Cabeza; 06-22-2010 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: clarified

Old 06-22-2010, 02:37 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
No offense folks, but i'm wondering what you're smoking if you feel that Rt.8 is more aesthetically pleasing than the Merritt.

There's a mile stretch prior to Exit 12 north that is treed and there's a stretch just beyond Seymour around Prospect/Beacon Falls that is pleasant looking, but beyond those areas, i don't see what you're seeing.
That's exactly what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think the stretch of Route 8 in Beacon Falls is absolutely breathtaking as the highway snakes along the river through the Naugatuck State Forest.
Personally I think the Merritt is beautiful, but it's getting uglier by the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut