U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

My job is along the 84 from Middletown, NY to Danbury, CT to White Plains, NY.

I am moving from CA with 2 small dogs and want to find a fun town that is safe, friendly and has single men of the white collar variety. Any recommendations on where to move?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM

24,720 posts, read 40,323,562 times
Your use of the word "the" before 84 gives away you being from California. Here in the east we usually just say I-84 or 84, No big deal.

To answer your question though, the area you are ccovering is kind of suburban to rural in character. To find and real single action, you need to be near a city. I would probably say White Plains then. It is a nice small city with a lot of white collar professionals and a decent nightlife. Note though that White Plains is in affluent Westchester County which is some of the most expensive parts of the country. You might want to try to get more information on the New York Boards for it.

Danbury is an even smaller city and is surrounded by mostly suburban and rural areas. There is some single life there and many professionals, but by CA standards it could be considered pretty quiet. Jay

Old 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM

Default My cali tell

Thanks Jay - any particular towns that you recommend or even areas to avoid?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

24,720 posts, read 40,323,562 times
It depends what you are looking for and how much you can afford. Since this is the Connecticut forum, I will only comment on Danbury. If you want a more affordable location and want a more urban area, then look in Danbury. there are many nice condos and homes. If you want more suburban or rural, look into Brookfield, New Fairfield and Bethel. If you have a lot of money to spend, Ridgefield is a beautiful town with a very nice small town center. Jay

Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 PM

2,081 posts, read 4,133,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npragmove View Post
My job is along the 84 from Middletown, NY to Danbury, CT to White Plains, NY.

I am moving from CA with 2 small dogs and want to find a fun town that is safe, friendly and has single men of the white collar variety. Any recommendations on where to move?

Thank you!!!
Danbury or Newtown.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,316,587 times
What is your budget, and do you plan to rent or own? Being a city, Danbury is likely the cheapest in that area of Ct. You would want to be careful of which areas you were looking in though, especially if you are looking for "white collar" men. Also, be aware that if you are renting with dogs it will be more difficult, as a lot of landlords will not allow dogs.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 PM

I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom apt for $1600 or less. I def. need to be careful about the area as I want to walk my dogs at night without fear and hopefully to meet some nice neighbors (not just single men, though that wouldn't be bad).

I like a moderately urban feel. Which parts of Danbury should I focus on or avoid? Thank you!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:51 PM

65,348 posts, read 47,622,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npragmove View Post
I am looking to rent a 1 bedroom apt for $1600 or less. I def. need to be careful about the area as I want to walk my dogs at night without fear and hopefully to meet some nice neighbors (not just single men, though that wouldn't be bad).

I like a moderately urban feel. Which parts of Danbury should I focus on or avoid? Thank you!
Danbury is nice, very mountainous but far from ocean/coast. Many lakes and rivers nearby. Lots of shopping. And you will find a decent 1 Bedroom for less than 1400 a month with some utilites included. Type in Danbury rentals on craigslist or hire a realtor to help you look. Realtors dont charge the tenant...the landlord pays for the commission..

I would also suggest ridgefield. As far as areas...each town has the weeds of society... once you pick a city to live in try to find out which areas are safe to be around.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:11 PM

65,348 posts, read 47,622,949 times
I put a blue box where you mentioned your travels would be. Try Monroe too...

Old 06-28-2010, 03:15 PM

2,187 posts, read 5,778,946 times
I recently rented a nice 1 bedroom to a client for $1100 a month plus utilies in a nice townhome community. For your budget, you can should be able to get a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or