U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:02 PM

10,432 posts, read 7,481,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klunk View Post
i am going back to
rhinebeck ny to live
scuse me for butting in. but i think stamford cares more for money then the people that pay its tax. it went up so high people lost there homes.
while the rich dont get taxed acording to what they cant pay like the middle and lower class. they get taxed on the same scale as the non rich.
its descusting how it can take somones home knowing the home owners intake and taxing them beyond what they can pay. so stamford can have a trolly car on main street that will raise tax there to. its not my fault we mooved to stamford when i was a kid and couldent stop it.
Wait, you're moving back to NY for lower taxes? In what sense? CT is bad, but NY is worse.

Stamford has a VERY low tax rate for a city. The mill rate for property taxes is under 20.

Also, property taxes are based on property values. Period. It's no different anywhere else. It can be worse in NY due to the fact that towns don't levy property tax rates, rather counties do (Westchester has crazy taxes!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM

47 posts, read 35,406 times
Default gov mally

gov mally of syamford ct is going to lay off state workers this driday

which is worse. raiseing tax which he does every year or loseing jobs for expense of his own agenda

Last edited by JayCT; 04-28-2011 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Removed unusable link

Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Wait, you're moving back to NY for lower taxes? In what sense? CT is bad, but NY is worse.

Stamford has a VERY low tax rate for a city. The mill rate for property taxes is under 20.

Also, property taxes are based on property values. Period. It's no different anywhere else. It can be worse in NY due to the fact that towns don't levy property tax rates, rather counties do (Westchester has crazy taxes!).
It all depends upon WHERE in New York State. Some areas are high, some lower. But to say Stamford has a low tax rate is just ridiculous. Over $6,000 on a 1500 sq ft Cape? Give me a break.

You can't compare anything based on mill rate, you must compare based upon the tax cost itself. For some strange reason Stamford (maybe it's all CT, I don't know) assesses property at 70% rather than 100% of fair market value. If they can do that they can assess it at 500% of fair market value...in which case the mill rate could drop to 4 or under...and still produce the same amount of tax.

And as to New York: Property taxes are levied by three governmental entities. There is a county tax (set by the county) and a town tax (set by the town). The two are combined into one tax bill, payable in January. Then there is a separate School Tax, also based on property values, that is assessed separately and payable in September. Just to clarify.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM

79 posts, read 111,146 times
I took a time trip back to Stamford in 1948 Sunday. BOOMERANG -- a movie by Elia Kazan -- was shot in the city, based on a murder that actaully accured in Bridgeport. Saw it at the Historical Society.

The film opens with a 360 degree shot of downtown Stamford, shot from the Old City Hall. You can see the other side of Atlantic where the Town Center now stands, and where Main Street (Highway 1) continued its uninterrupted route to Boston. Down Atlantic there are shops on either sides, the Palace on the left, and the Furgeson Library at the corner before Bedford.

Amongsr shots: the Main Street Bridge over Mill River, West Park Place (there was gas station not too far from Curlie's), the Advocate offices, etc.

Stamford comes off as a vibrant and busy All American small town ... and I can see why some people miss that. I'm sure Bridgeport was even more so then. But time has not been so kind to it, New Haven, or Hartford. I'm with Jay. Without growth and change there is stagnation and disintegration.

Most films back then were shot in studios and backlots and this was one of the few on location movies that are so commonplace now. Producer Louis deRochemont, the director of the faux newsreel, March of Time, was a NY guy who did little studio work, so he really used Stamford (and a couple of shots in White Plains) to tell the story and give it verite. The movie starred Dana Andrews, Lee J. Cobb, a young Karl Malden, and Jane Wyatt, who was yet to marry the pro-union libral actor, Ronald Reagan. Yes, indeedie, Times do change.

For those who want to board a filmic time machine, Boomerang is available for purchase from Amazon and for rent from Netflix.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:25 AM

5 posts, read 5,720 times

Boomerang was a great movie. I agree. In addition to points you note there was also a shot of the old Plaza Theatre on Main Street. If memory serves me right (and it's been YEARS since I saw the flick) in the film the priest was shot dead across from the theatre. Stamford was used for location shots because Bridgeport, where the murder actually took place, refused permission.

And just a quickie: Reagan married Jane Wyman, not Jane Wyatt.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 PM

7 posts, read 6,625 times
No one has posted anything since April 2008. I am from Stamford. I was born in 1960 at Stamford, Hospital. I'm sure those that posted here know me or someone in my family. Even though I moved from Stamford in 1973, I returned in the early 1980s, and yes there were big changes. I remember Stamford before the massive urban renewal of the late 1960s. It was like BC and AD. Stamford Urban renewal and Stamford after urban renewal. Stamford was transformed from small autonomous New York suburb to the center of a new corporate sterile enclave. I remember before FD Rich built the GTE corporate center and when Landmark Square was built. My neighborhood was the South End and prior to 1971, we could leave our windows down in the summertime on the family car without fear. Does anyone remember Rice School? i attended 1st and 2nd grades there. How about CO Millers Department Store. The original Atlantic Pizza House on Atlantic Street next to I-95 across from the old Post Office. Anyone remember when Caldors was built in downtown Stamford and Oil City on the Stamford, Old Greenwich border?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, I too, hope Bridgeport could have the same fate as Stamford someday. I really like the potential of Bridgeport. I'm rootin' for that city! I'm even going to invest in it very soon--buying a multifamily house.

Bridgeport use to be a kind of Detroit of the east coast. Prior to the mid 1960s it had a very healthy an prosperous working middle class, due to the amount of factories. In the International Harvester use to make US mail trucks there. GE use to make their major appliance there. And there were many more. They left in order to escape the strong unions New England was famous for for the Midwest and south. GE moved to Louisville and built Appliance Park. Probably the only manufacturing not to leave the Bridgeport area is Sikorsky. Of course in the 1970s Bridgeport became the largest city at that time to declare bankruptcy. I think Bridgeport will become the next big thing. With the price of real estate in lower Fairfield County at astronomical price, normal incomes can only afford to move further out. As my dad says, they are not making any more land!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themusicman View Post
Hi,

My dad owned a music store in stamford with his parents. Economy Music Shop on the end of Summer Street. Building doesn't exist anymore. But, my dad was also a musician and played tenor sax at Laddins Terrace for many many years. He was a friend of the Daly's of Stamford who owned the Palace and Plaza Theater as well as many other buildings. My mother was one of the singers in the swing band and get this, my great uncle joe, who passed away a couple of years ago was the guy who made the pink tents and rented them to the city for the Pink Tent Festival! Many more great memories of Stamford I have chemistry with both Greenwich and Stamford, as my parents were from each. My wife lived 1/2 block from the Dairy Queen and was friends with the daughter of the owner. Free ice cream for the kids in those days. How about Curly's Diner with the sign on it during the energy crisis that said, "Need Gas? Eat Here!"

Those were the days. Now I go back there, and my heart aches. Such a great place to have grown up, and now Jerry Springer and Maury Povich are headed there. Just when you thought things couldn't get worse.

I think I remember that music store. Was it near Bob's Sports?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I can't forget to mention Sol's toys and 40 Boutiques in the old Ridgeway shopping center, and when Southfield Beach was open for swimming.
My aunt retired from Sol's. I bet you don't remember Prince Hill Toy store in Glenbrook. Closed down around 1969?

How about the every Christmas, Bloomingdales use to have this incredible toy department on the top floor. First at the top, east side of the store and then when they increased the size of the store on the top west end of the store. They only had the toy depart during Christmas. Of course now the building is UCONN.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdevito View Post
I loved Sol's Toys and 40 Boutiques. There as also the Passage Shops...which if I remember correctly was at 1 Landmark Square.

It really is a shame that Stamford decided to grow so much. I suppose that it's better but it breaks my heart to think of all of the places that are gone now. I have such fond memories of the "old days" in Stamford.
Remember the Grand Central Supermarket next to Gimbel's Department store and the Sears next to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut