U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM

7 posts, read 7,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloduck View Post
I went to Roxbury Nursery School as a little kid in the late 80's. Sadly, it is one of many businesses in Stamford no longer existing. I went there when they were at the old historic church at the corner of Roxbury and Den Rd. Sadly, even that building is gone after a tragic fire destroyed it in the mid 90's. Only the sign is still there, after the city government refused to give them the permits to rebuild.

I went to Roxbury in the 1960s. I remember when they broke ground for West Hill HS. My cousin is the VP pf West Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 7,134 times
Anyone remember the original Max Trell's hobby shop where now central fire station is? When Stew Leonard's was just a small dairy store in Norwalk. Food Fair in Shippan? The King's Department Store and the Grand Central supermarket in the King"s? The Cloonan HS in the South End which is now the South End Center. The Danbury State Fair, before they built the Danbury Fair Mall over it. I use to go to the original YMCA on Atlantic Street.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

353 posts, read 212,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Stop&Shop only leased the Bongiorno building because the new store that they were trying to build on the Cytec property was in legal limbo. They wanted to establish themselves in the neighborhood because they knew that the new ShopRite would be built before they would get the Cytec property approved for a store.
Oh so THAT'S why Stop & Shop was in that space.. I walked in that store one day and it was a unpleasant feeling (old Bongiorno space)

Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,809 times
Hi All,

I lived in Stamford between 1961-1973. I haven't been back since the early 1980's.
Some of my Stamford memories include:

Greenbergs Clothing - Got all my Cub/Boy Scout clothing there. Remember "Greenbergs Bucks ?"
Ferguson Library
Caldors
Gimbles
Cousin Shaprio's

Zantow Ferguson - Sponsored the "Musical Gems" segment on WSTC.
St. Mary's - Went there from grades 1-4. I remember the new Cadillacs they used to raffle off each year.
Grade A Market - Sam Cingari was our neighbor.
Joe The Barber - On Shippan Ave. Got all my childhood haircuts there.
Candy Kitchen - Walked by there almost everyday on way home from school. Bought my Beatle cards there.
Shippan Drive In - I think it was called the Starlight Drive In at one time.
Good Guys Hamburgers - Advertised 10 cent hamburgers in mid 60's.
Cianciola's "Flying A" gas station - Corner of Magee and Shippan Ave. Dad bought most of his gas there.
Sabini's Furniture
Our Lady Star Of The Sea - Remembered when it first opened. Father Hussey...great guy, great sense of humor.
Stamford Yacht Club - I remember 10 cent "chits" would buy a box of Cracker Jacks.
The "Old Look" Connecticut Company GM busses - Many had the Pepsi bottlecap ad under their windshield.
Oceanview Beach Club - Was also called the Clearview Beach Club at one time.
Springdale Animal Hosp. - Melvin Grove DVM took care of our dogs. Compassionate guy.
Bartley A. Fahey DDS - Could always understand what you said, no matter how much cotton was stuffed in your mouth.
Stamford Museum and Nature Center
Hoffman Oil - Their oil trucks always dragged those anti-static chains behind them.
Good Humor trucks

Just some of my Stamford memories.

John

Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,502 times
Default "Old Stamford" 1950's to 1960's

Saw many of your posts. Brings back memories.I know quite a bit of Stamford from 50-60 years ago, growing up in the Summer St. area. Ask any questions you want, particularly about the old Gimbels store at Ridgeway....used to work there...can give quite a lot of detail about that , plus Ridgeway shopping center, in general. Fire away!

Old 01-26-2013, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
All those who went to Ryle School there is a page on Facebook with hundreds of class pictures...take a look you might find yourself or someone you know
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/groups/416006488486840/"]Ryle School, Stamford CT - Waterside[/URL][URL="https://www.facebook.com/messages/conversation-id.156444861171928#"][/URL]

Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
Does anyone remember the private beach club next to West Beach in Stamford in the 50's or 60's?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
Hi,
I remembered! It was Scofield Beach Club! They were good days!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
If anyone has pics of the southfield village houseing projects please email me at juchem1014@hotmail.com....thank u

Old 05-04-2013, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,111 times
Default Southfield Village

I am also from the "v" or southfield village and i remember drugs and shootings. I remember the eight year old girl that was shot by the park. I remember Tomahawk lane, free blocks of government cheese, powder milk and heroin addicts for parents.I am a product and lost soul of Southfield Village, Stamford, Ct. Born and raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut