U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,175,931 times

Advertisements

Not too resurrect a common theme here, but, my home taxes went up by 200 bucks, all while my value dropped 70K! I don't get it. We did the re-eval in 2008 and saw the increase then, but why is it going up now?

In my town we have NOTHING in the way of services, very rural and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 PM

1,581 posts, read 4,773,189 times
Assessed and market value are two seperate things. It doesn't matter anyway, a town will just adjust its mill rate if it needs to. Mine went up $300. Since 2003 they have gone up almost $1300.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:49 PM

24,615 posts, read 40,185,826 times
Call the Tas Assessors office for an explanation. Does not sound right to me. Jay

Old 07-03-2010, 09:39 PM

2,102 posts, read 6,811,082 times
Here's a quick explanation. For simplicity's sake, say your town's budget for last year was $10,000,000. Assets, real and personal, on the grand list were $1,000,000. The mill rate would then be 10 ($10 per thousand dollars of assessed property). This year, your town's budget is $10,500,000 but assets on the grand list are only valued at $800,000. The mill rate must jump to 13.125.

How does this impact you? Say your property was valued at $100,000 last year. Therefore, your taxes were $1000. This year, your property was valued at $80,000. With the new mill rate, your taxes are $1050.

In a nutshell, your taxes will mirror the town budget: if the town budget goes up, so will your taxes unless there is a substantial increase to the VALUE of assets on the grand list.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
In a nutshell, your taxes will mirror the town budget: if the town budget goes up, so will your taxes unless there is a substantial increase to the VALUE of assets on the grand list.
That's what I wish more people would realize when they complain about taxes...it's directly tied to the town budget and what they spend on "stuff", salaries and pensions. Period.

Less of any, equals lower taxes. Duh!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 AM

786 posts, read 3,435,365 times
I get that the taxes mirror the town budget, but we just got our vehicle property taxes and the assessed value of our older cars went up. Hmm. Explain that one to me. No they are definitely not classic cars!

Old 07-04-2010, 02:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 4,186,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's what I wish more people would realize when they complain about taxes...it's directly tied to the town budget and what they spend on "stuff", salaries and pensions. Period.

Less of any, equals lower taxes. Duh!
Thats what worries me. The town budget includes government employee payroll, correct? Does that include union pensions as well? If so, that is what gets me upset. Many, but not all, government employees are over paid. Look at the average government salary compared to civilian.

Talking with a few people who know what their relatives make in city/town positions, they are clearly over paid for the jobs they do. Ill never understand why the government spends they way it does. They seem to over pay for almost anything. In my time in the Navy, I seen what we spent on parts, inventories, etc and it was just ridiculous what the government pays for things. Sure some things are going to be more expensive than others, but theyll over pay for even office supplies. So much waste in our government from top to bottom hurts all of us and im sure we see some of this in our property taxes as well as other taxes. All because many in government who are in charge, are not responsible at all.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,390,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
I get that the taxes mirror the town budget, but we just got our vehicle property taxes and the assessed value of our older cars went up. Hmm. Explain that one to me. No they are definitely not classic cars!
Thats because they are taxed according to the value placed on them by NADA. New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site

Values in NADA went up on most used cars since when the new car market slows down used car prices generally INCREASE slightly..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,209,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Values in NADA went up on most used cars since when the new car market slows down used car prices generally INCREASE slightly..
Well, I disagree somewhat. A lot of that had to do with the government getting into the car business and starting the "cash for clunkers" program and took a very large portion of perfectly drivable and saleable used cars off the road.

Protect the borders, deliver the mail and get the hell out of the way...

Old 07-05-2010, 08:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,669,759 times
BucsLoose, the reason municipal employees are paid so well, is because the unions demand it and the AFLCIO is MUCH more powerful than the local Town Hall or the Mayor's office.

If the Union says its people aren't takin out the trash, then the trash is gonna sit there and rot at your curbside. If the Union says its people all need to take next Tuesday off, and anyone who works next Tuesday gets triple-time with a 6-hour minimum pay for the day, for two hours' work, minimum of 3 people on the workforce, then on Tuesday, the town will be paying three people $360 EACH to work 2 hours on Tuesday at a whopping total of $1080 for 6 man-hours.

If you REALLY want to know where the overpriced, overpaid, corrupt, out of line, wasteful, greedy people are and why everything costs so much, go to your union's Local office and make an appointment with their President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut