Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 4,943 times

Advertisements

We have recently moved from Dallas as husband's firm transferred him to NY.
I have two questions and would really be grateful if someone could guide me.

1. We want to buy a home in in fairfield county.

We had a 5000+ sq ft living area home on an acreage lot in Dallas. Hoping to have similar place here. However our budget is less than $1 Million.

Would really appreciate if someone could guide us as to which areas in fairfield county would be the best bet for us.

It should be at a commutable distance to NYC. My husband mostly works from home and will visit the office in manhattan twice a month. Therefore we are flexible on that front.

2. I have recently left my management consulting job to accompany him to east coast. I would be soon looking for opportunities in CT as I donot want to commute to NYC. My question is how are job opportunities in fairfield county or near by area? I know my question is very broad but any insights would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 06:01 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,152,771 times
I can't be of much help except to say be prepared for all the taxes you pay here that you don't pay in TX.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Fairfield County is extremely expensive, especially for a house the size of which you are looking for. What is your budget?

Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Fairfield County is extremely expensive, especially for a house the size of which you are looking for. What is your budget?
However our budget is less than $1 Million

Old 07-05-2010, 07:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
However our budget is less than $1 Million

Thanks, I missed that. I'm slow to wake up today.

It will be hard finding a home equivalent to what the OP is used to in that price range and still be commutable to NYC. I did a Raveis search for Westport, but the largest homes I could find were about 3000 square feet. Fairfield only has a handful of homes over 3000 square feet. Trumbull is less expensive, but the commute would be long. There are a few more homes with over 4000 sq. feet, but still not a lot. Other towns to consider would be Stamford, Wilton, New Canaan, and Darien, but those towns (and Stamford is a city) are generally even more expensive. However, they would be closer to the city. The OP might still need to sacrifice size, although there are some homes available in that size. The OP will also have to bear in mind that the homes here will likely be a lot older than what they are used to, and might need some updating.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:50 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeedks View Post

We had a 5000+ sq ft living area home on an acreage lot in Dallas. Hoping to have similar place here. However our budget is less than $1 Million.
Weston, Easton or Redding.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It really depends on how far you want to be from the city and what type of town you want to live in. The Town of Fairfield is nice and you will get a pretty nice home for under $1 million. Also consider nearby Trumbull and Easton.

Another option would be towns in the Danbury area. Bethel, Ridgefield, Brookfield and New Fairfield are very nice.

An even more interesting option would be living in the shoreline towns east of NEw Haven. Branford, Guilford and Madison are wonderufl towns with a lot of charm and offer train service into New Haven where you can catch a train into New York. Jay

Old 07-05-2010, 10:21 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It really depends on how far you want to be from the city and what type of town you want to live in. The Town of Fairfield is nice and you will get a pretty nice home for under $1 million. Also consider nearby Trumbull and Easton.

Another option would be towns in the Danbury area. Bethel, Ridgefield, Brookfield and New Fairfield are very nice.

An even more interesting option would be living in the shoreline towns east of NEw Haven. Branford, Guilford and Madison are wonderufl towns with a lot of charm and offer train service into New Haven where you can catch a train into New York. Jay
It would be hard to find a 5,000 square foot house, with an acre of land, for under $1 million in Fairfield. I think the OP would have to go further out than that with those requirements. Maybe parts of Trumbull or Monroe, or Newtown. Or further up the coast, like Milford, Orange or Branford. All that means it takes longer to get into Manhattan, but if the OP's husband only has to go in a couple of days a week, it may not be that big an issue. 5 days a week would be a big issue from most of those places.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I did not say they would get 5,000 square feet. I said a nice home. If they want 5,000 square feet they would have to go further out which may not be a bog deal since the OP said her husband would be go to New York twice a month. Jay

Old 07-05-2010, 10:40 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeedks View Post

Easton, Redding, Newtown, and Monroe would be the best bets. You might find a few for sale in Trumbull and Huntington(the Berries) also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut