Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Why are so many people leaving?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
For a school assignment, I analyzed the population growth of individual Connecticut towns, and thought the findings were really interesting so I thought I'd share it on the forum. I used CERC as a source, and I considered the population growth between the 1990 census and their 2014 population projections (a 24 year span!)
Quote:
I don't get Stratford at all! I always thought it was a nice/affordable town?! Why are so many people leaving?
You did a school assignment about population growth and didn't have to provide any explanation for the growth or decline in numbers?

So many people leaving Stratford? .... I guess if you consider 1.2% of the population in a 24 year span so many...and what about demographics to consider...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
You did a school assignment about population growth and didn't have to provide any explanation for the growth or decline in numbers?

So many people leaving Stratford? .... I guess if you consider 1.2% of the population in a 24 year span so many...and what about demographics to consider...
The assignment didn't cover individual towns in detail...but anyways, yes, 1.2% of the population even in 24 years is A LOT. You have to question why more people are leaving a town then moving into it. Usually not a good thing.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:39 PM

457 posts, read 905,016 times
26/169. A year ago I would have scored 2/169!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
My theory on Stratford losing people: people from Bridgeport move in, more people from Stratford move somewhere else.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
My theory on Stratford losing people: people from Bridgeport move in, more people from Stratford move somewhere else.
Bridgeport's population is also declining...

Stratford's decline is likely due to deaths in an aging population...we are talking less than 2% of population.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:21 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
I feel like FFC/NHC have been maxed out. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule, but I'd argue that growth in Connecticut is going to be concentrated in New London Cnty., Middlesex Cnty., and Tolland Cnty., in the coming decades! People are discovering Eastern Connecticut!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:42 AM

112 posts, read 243,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Who or what the hell is causing people to have to move to cheaper places? Where are all these rich people coming from that can easily afford Greenwich or Scarsdale, etc? Last time I checked, the economy was in the toilet.
The seperation of have and have-nots is growing in CT. IMO, most are moving because the cost of living is OUTRAGEOUS and getting worse. IMO, you either have to be wealthy or dirt poor in this state. Honestly, there arent many "middle class" left in CT. Those who were are once considered "middle class" are now struggling just to get by...IMO.

As for the rich people? Look at the board at all the people from NYC posting about how they are making the move into CT and looking for houses in the range of $500k and above. Seems to me a lot of companies in NYC are offering telecommuting and the workers are moving to CT. When Im on the road now, I find it funny to look and see how many NY liscence plates I can count and Im in Northeast CT!!! Every year there are more and more NY plates. And the COL will continue to sky rocket in CT as long as there are people who move here who can afford the expensive real estate, etc. They may as well just make CT an extension of NY.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:11 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
As for the rich people? Look at the board at all the people from NYC posting about how they are making the move into CT and looking for houses in the range of $500k and above. Seems to me a lot of companies in NYC are offering telecommuting and the workers are moving to CT. When Im on the road now, I find it funny to look and see how many New York license plates I can count and Im in Northeast CT!!! Every year there are more and more New York plates. And the COL will continue to sky rocket in CT as long as there are people who move here who can afford the expensive real estate, etc. They may as well just make CT an extension of NY.
This has been occurring for 25 years. This was partly why areas in northern Fairfield County and New Milford had large bursts of construction (especially condos) in the middle '80s. The second ripple effect was western New Haven County experiencing growth as displaced FFC residents found this area cheaper.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Trying,

Unfortunately it isn't just CT and NYC. It's all over: California, Texas, the good parts of AZ, MA, and I'm sure dozens of other metros. As one of my favourite bands (INDK) puts it in their song about the changing scenery of the Lower East Side during the 2000's "I've got a problem with the nation, whoa whoa It's called gentrification." It's a shame, but I think it's going to slow as the economy becomes more balanced.

~Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut