Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM

47 posts, read 122,789 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We have been searching for towns or cities that have homes that are walking distance to schools and shopping...So far, the only town we have come across is stratford, paradise green...Anyone know of any areas in Trumbull, Milford, Danbury or Bethel that has walkability to both schools and shopping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayopac View Post
Hi,
Anyone know of any areas in Trumbull, Milford, Danbury or Bethel that has walkability to both schools and shopping?
I don't know of too many towns in CT that have all their schools on one campus (elementary, middle and high)? Weston does...but other than the small mart in their town center, there isn't any other shopping.

I would suggest the Frenchtown area of Trumbull where you could walk to the mall and down Main St for shopping. But then the middle school is not in walking distance. You would face that problem in Stratford, as well. The Frenchtown area would also be on a bus line.

Good luck...let us know what you find.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I don't know of too many towns in CT that have all their schools on one campus (elementary, middle and high)? Weston does.
New Canaan sort of does. South Elementary, Saxe Middle, and New Canaan High are grouped together. They're not on a contiguous campus though.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Bethel has their public schools located on one contiguos campus about 1.5 miles northeast of downtown.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:46 PM

47 posts, read 122,789 times
Actually I was just concerned about having an elementary school and shopping area to walk to...IF we could find a middle school that would be a plus but it is not mandatory...

Old 07-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
Bethel has their public schools located on one contiguos campus about 1.5 miles northeast of downtown.
Yes, they do, I forgot about Bethel..but the only way I know to downtown is 302 and I don't remember it having sidewalks. I love that route for its beauty but I wouldn't walk it. Is there bus service in Bethel?

Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Veteran's Park Elementary is in downtown Ridgefield.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayopac View Post
Actually I was just concerned about having an elementary school and shopping area to walk to...IF we could find a middle school that would be a plus but it is not mandatory...
Have you checked out Danbury? I know the magnet school (AIS) is top rated in the state. It's located on the edge of the WCSU campus..not sure of what shopping is in that area...but at least there should be sidewalks and buses.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Quote:
Have you checked out Danbury? I know the magnet school (AIS) is top rated in the state. It's located on the edge of the WCSU campus..not sure of what shopping is in that area...but at least there should be sidewalks and buses.
Danbury is possible, but logistically things might be too far in different directions to want to walk everywhere constantly. The big box chains being on Federal Road and Newtown Road - certainly doesn't help, since neither have sidewalks. A&P stores are walkable, S&S not so much (again: out of the way, sidewalk-less roads.) Lots of ethnic stores downtown, but not sure if that's what the OP is looking for. The more walkable areas are also in less desired areas, which could be a problem.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,161 times
Quote:
Yes, they do, I forgot about Bethel..but the only way I know to downtown is 302 and I don't remember it having sidewalks. I love that route for its beauty but I wouldn't walk it. Is there bus service in Bethel?

The sidewalks in Bethel don't extend to the school campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut