Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 27,768 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a home in CT, the area I am interested is New Fairfield. I hear the schools are great and the people are really friendly (most from NY supposedly), and the taxes are low. So far I have not come across anything great in NF. The realtor keeps suggesting Brookfield, but the taxes are pretty high. The feedback that I am getting is that New Fairfield is down to earth and that Brookfield is more snooty or keeping up with the Joneses. So what is the truth? I also geographically like where NF is, at least the part closest to Westchester NY, as I will be commuting. Any advice would be lovely. Also, schools are important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Actually New Fairfield has a higher median income ($109,000) than Brookfield ($102,000) so I would say they are about even economically. The comute to Westchester would be a bit easier from New Fairfield. It is all a matter of personal taste. Both are great towns. I would visit both and see which is more to your liking. Jay

Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTboundIhope View Post
The feedback that I am getting is that New Fairfield is down to earth and that Brookfield is more snooty or keeping up with the Joneses. So what is the truth?
Feedback from who?

Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM

222 posts, read 854,510 times
Both towns are comparable. I believe the taxes in Brookfield are lower than New Fairfield as there is a bigger commercial base in Brookfield and the mill rate has always been lower.

On the snooty issue, that's crap! I just mind my own business and it is fine. I do not pay attention to that garbage. There is going to be people like that everywhere. Schools are fine in both towns. NF school buildings are newer. NF probably has a better commute to NY. I work in Harrison NY and commute from Brookfield and it is ok, with the exception of Fridays in the summer, which can get a little crazy sometimes.

You can't go wrong with either one, it's going to depend on where you find the house you like the most.

Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply's. Well, the feedback has been from a friend who lives in CT and a few of her friends. Oddly enough from some property owners whose houses I've looked at, & from searches done on city data and the likes. So far, the taxes have been much higher in Brookfield. Relocating is hard, decisions decisions

Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Default New Fairfield vs. Brookfield

So what are the pluses to each town?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTboundIhope View Post
Well, the feedback has been from a friend who lives in CT and a few of her friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post

On the snooty issue, that's crap!
I agree with gomets comment!

Brookfield and New Fairfield are great places to live. But, if I was given advice from a friend...well I would trust a friend over the internet...and I wouldn't consider a new town unless they recommended it. I'm curious where your friend would recommend?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:00 PM

Well, you know how it is, people have opinions but than don't really suggest anything. Although I have heard more about New Fairfield and Bethel. It was only the realtor that suggested Brookfield, which I know nothing about. Oddly, I did find a home I love in New Fairfield and made an offer. Unfortunately the seller is sticking to his asking price. The realtor says the house is way overprice and it will not appraise out by the bank. Why do people put their house up for sale and leave no room for negotiating? And I don't want to be foolish and overpay

Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
You definitely don't want to overpay for house, especially these days. Keep looking, there is bound to be something out there for you. Brookfield is a lovely town and you should investigate it more. Take a ride around and I am sure you will like it. Jay

Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM

83 posts, read 277,406 times
BROOKFIELD! Love it love it love it!! It's REALLY friendly - very small town - the dry cleaners know you by your first name, the pharmacist, etc...very small town so easy to meet people. Schools are fantastic (both public and private)...I don't know of anyone snooty - and I live in a nice part of town. Very family oriented and lots of community things going on. People go out of their way to help you out. We moved out from Ridgefield, CT because Brookfield is so much more relaxed and normal. Lots more facilities than NF. Send me a private message if you need any more info. Cannot recommend it more highly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut