Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:59 PM

8 posts, read 22,974 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to CT. I work IN Armonk, NY and noticed Stamford is only about 25 minutes away. What can anyone tell me about downtown Stamford? I am looking at a 1 bedroom on Prospect Street at Bedford. Is the area OK safety wise? Nightlife? Anything would help, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 AM

83,304 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrabadi View Post
I am looking to move to CT. I work IN Armonk, NY and noticed Stamford is only about 25 minutes away. What can anyone tell me about downtown Stamford? I am looking at a 1 bedroom on Prospect Street at Bedford. Is the area OK safety wise? Nightlife? Anything would help, thank you!
Another thread? I thought you got your answer with the other exact same thread.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 22,974 times
That was about a place in Norwalk, but thank you for being so helpful

Old 07-17-2010, 03:04 AM

155 posts, read 549,388 times
If it's prospect street, yes it's safe, as long as you're not near the west side (like around the west main street and beyond). There are a couple decent spots for nightlife, but this ain't NYC

Old 07-17-2010, 05:39 PM

854 posts, read 1,231,801 times
OK Listen. I used to live in Prospect Street at 65 Prospect Street which is called Town House apartments, along with the taller 77 Prospect Street. There's an older pre-war building next to them at 53 Prospect Street with this old elevator where you have to swing open the door. Anyway, 65 used to have cockroaches when I lived there but they've renovated it so maybe the problem's gone. There are no safety problems or anything in that part of downtown or any part of downtown (West Side is not downtown; neither is South End nor East Side though "South End" is often lumped into downtown in the local rag The Advocate).

However on Prospect Street there are parking issues. Unless you get a garage space, it will be difficult to find parking on the street, though you can park at Chase Manhattan Bank lot at night if you can find a spot.

This area of downtown Stamford is densely populated and it is nice and diverse with a park nearby. There are many Indians who live there and there is a yeshiva up the street, so there are Orthodox Jews there as well, and people of many other nationalities.

There is no supermarket within walking distance, but soon they will open a CVS/pharmacy on Forest Street, and the mall and library are a 5-10 minute walk away.

There isn't much nightlife in Stamford to speak of. There are some bars on Bedford Street and nice restaurants on Summer Street. Downtown has 3 movie theaters. If you feel like going to a dance club you should take the train to NYC.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM

34,650 posts, read 56,427,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
There isn't much nightlife in Stamford to speak of. There are some bars on Bedford Street and nice restaurants on Summer Street. Downtown has 3 movie theaters. If you feel like going to a dance club you should take the train to NYC.
I just saw one of those lists that I really do not put much value in and Stamford was listed as one of the 25 best places to be single. The writeup talked about the great nightlife for professional singles. Jay

Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,942,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I just saw one of those lists that I really do not put much value in and Stamford was listed as one of the 25 best places to be single. The writeup talked about the great nightlife for professional singles. Jay
Professional singles, yes. But great nightlife can easily be beat by Milford and South Norwalk. I don't find Stamford's nightlife to be anything special.

I don't put too much value in those lists either. In fact, I think they're a bit ridiculous.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:42 PM

418 posts, read 1,405,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
There is no supermarket within walking distance, but soon they will open a CVS/pharmacy on Forest Street, and the mall and library are a 5-10 minute walk away.
Actually, a Key Foods is opening on Prospect Street in the former Family Dollar store. Should be a nice little grocery store for all the folks who live in this neighborhood. I don't known when the open date is but I've heard that registers are being installed so it should be soon.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:55 AM

34,650 posts, read 56,427,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't put too much value in those lists either. In fact, I think they're a bit ridiculous.
Yeah, I know. Jay

Old 07-26-2010, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 8,987 times
Hi

I just moved from Westchester (Ossining) to Stamford this July.

So far I have been enjoying what this small town has to offer, plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from and a nice crowd of people outside enjoying the summer evenings.

My building is Ok it’s not the Ritz but I’m happy paying $1600 a month for 918 SQ feet of space (Includes Heat and Gas)

Coming from Westchester and growing up in Brooklyn I find Stamford to be a nice middle ground, My building is quite yet I can walk 2 blocks and be in the heart of Stamford enjoying drinks and social activities.

The train is a quick 1.1 mile walk from my Apt and so far I have not had any trouble during my walk to or from the station.

Plenty of shopping in the area (Target is walking distance) plus a 24hr laundry Mat up near the police station.

-D

Hope this helps a bit IrabadI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut