Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:59 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Please return to the topic of this thread and stop debating off topic subjects. If you wish to keep discussing this, there are other Boards on this forum to do that. JayCT, Moderator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 12:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Please return to the topic of this thread and stop debating off topic subjects. If you wish to keep discussing this, there are other Boards on this forum to do that. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Very funny. Jay

Old 11-16-2010, 02:26 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Very funny. Jay
I wan't trying to be funny, just confirm your request. LOL

Old 01-01-2011, 12:51 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchoeffler View Post
WOW..so many great replies! Thank you to everyone. It sounds like CT in general is a very accepting state. Such a contrast. Surprisingly we had posted a similar inquiry regarding Orange Coounty Ca, ONLY because of the weather out there ( aand we have some family there), I received such a negaive response in general compared to all of you. We currently live in MA and like the people in the northeast, now we just need to make all the numbers work, and scope put many of the towns you suggest. The one other area we will consider is the Lambertville NJ area, along the Delaware river, as we have friends there, but CT seems like a real possibility. We are taking a trip in Sept)Anyone have any imput relating to property taxes in CT?? Are there towns that are better than others??? I realise they are high everywhere.
Hello! I wish I had seen this thread earlier. First, if you are thinking of the Lambertville, NJ area, be aware that NJ taxes are HIGH!!! For a small, 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath circa 1970's raised ranch style home on no land, the taxes are....over $5,000!!! Hey, it's Jersey, land of high taxes. If you want to be in that area, try just 1/2 mile right across the bridge in New Hope, or Doylestown. Keep lookin' 'cuz' you could def find a home in the 400 K range, probably in Doylestown. That area (Bucks County) tends to be very tolerant, and New Hope definately is, as it is an artsy get-away for upscale folks from the city. I don't know if I could say that about all of PA, though. As for antiques, well, be prepared to be OVERWHELMED when you come to Bucks County, PA regarding antiques!!!! I never saw anything like this up in CT. There is some kind of flea market or auction nearly daily! The flea markets are ancient, some have been around since the earlier part of the 20th century. Many antique malls, many antique shops in the local part of NJ, and throughout Bucks County and nearby. Drive to the middle of the state, and you will find lots.

Back to CT. Folks keep talking about east of New Haven, but I didn't see much mention of Niantic, Waterford and New London. New London has (last I knew, I left 10 years ago) 2 gay bars, one is called Frank's Place, and the other is across the parking lot from there, can't remember the name. There is another one in Willimantic. Check the usual guides for that info. There are several in Providence, RI, another area you may want to check out. As for antiques, PA is better for that, but you will find them in SE CT as well. One big antiques place in Old Saybrook, near the train station.

Anyway, New London has a much higher property taxes because so much of the land is off the tax base, or at least that is what I always read. Waterford is cheaper because of the power plant being there. The beach in Waterford is very nice, the one in Madison is better but I digress. You could certainly find a home in New London county in SE CT near the water (but not on it) in your price range. Forget about Old Lyme, very expensive for the same thing anywhere else. Old Saybrook has some possibilities, but I think you would like Waterford better, or even Niantic/East Lyme. I always found Old Saybrook to be, well, too isolated, too far away from anything, and lacking in shopping.

Back to real estate. I would suggest going to Trulia.com or, even better, zillow.com and search for what you want where ever it is you are thinking of purchasing a home. I remember the prices of homes in Niantic SOARED after I left in 1999.So, I should be careful about quoting prices and such. I did recently look on-line at houses in New London,and found several very near the water for very reasonable and not all run down. I was familiar with the neighborhoods and, in some cases, even remember the houses in question. They were in desirable neighborhoods. Some parts of NL are not nice,and should be avoided. This is true of upper NL county as well. Niantic/East Lyme and Waterford are pretty much very nice, suburban areas. This is true esp. of Niantic/East Lyme.

I hope all this helps.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM

21 posts, read 44,314 times
Hi Katnip Kid
WOW, thank you very much for all the detailed info!! We are somewhat familiar with the lambertville/ Bucks CO area, as I lived outside Princeton years ago, and my partner lived in Bucks before we met and moved to New England. We love the NJ/PA area, but it is a challenge in many ways. NJ, Lambertville would be great, we are even "OK" with the prop taxes, however only being in our 50's when we retire we become vulnerable to the "individual" health insurance market. NJ, b'cause of "guarantee issue" the rates are astronomical ( I think like 25K per year for the two of us!!) PA, Doylestown wud be really great, EXCEPT being a gay couple, PA has zero protections for us as a married couple as we are in New England. Also since we are "single" in the eyes of PA, if one of us were to pass away, the inheritance taxes are horrific, and would leave little for the surviving spouse. ( In PA a hetero couple can leave unlimited amts of money to a spouse tax free). SO thats why we were reluctantly considering CT.

That being said, do you have any insight into Farmington, Avon or Southbury??

You seem to have great insight into the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut