Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:34 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
About eight years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) my hubby & I spent a long summer weekend in NW Connecticut. We stayed at the Riverton Inn in Riverton, and drove around the area a bit to see this and that. During one of our days there, we went to a beach on a lake, but I can't recall the name of it. There was a small boat launch where we rented a rowboat and, although the lake itself seems pretty large in my memory, the sandy beach area was smallish (my first time swimming in a lake!) -- but there was a lifeguard on duty, and picnic tables nearby. I believe there was a reservoir on the other side of a hill or somewhere close by.

We'd like to go back to the area for another weekend and I want to go to that beach again! Since we drove around and explored much of the area when we were there, I don't recall how close it was to Riverton. I've been racking my brain and using Google Maps to try and remember where this beach was, to no avail. So I'm going to try and attach some pictures (they're not that great, but all I got) to see if anyone can identify this place. Thanks in advance for your help.

~~D~~
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to remember lake in Litchfield area...?-lake-ct3-anonweb.jpg   Trying to remember lake in Litchfield area...?-lake-ct2-anonweb.jpg  

Last edited by citychik; 06-22-2007 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 12:56 PM

49 posts, read 68,521 times
Check out the dep website with parks in litchfield county. That looks like Burr Pond in Torrington.

Here is the link.

DEP: Litchfield County - CT State Parks and Forests

Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
That looks like Burr Pond in Torrington.
Really? The satellite view of Burr Pond doesn't really show a horseshoe-shaped sandy beach area with a boat launch off to the left. I was just looking on Google Maps and was wondering if it was Lake McDonough. I know it doesn't look like Bantam Lake. I wish I could remember!

Here is another photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying to remember lake in Litchfield area...?-lake-ct-boats-anonweb.jpg  

Old 06-22-2007, 01:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
I think you may be talking about the Barkhamsted reservoir/lake Mcdonough in Barkhamsted/New Hartford.

That would be my guess.

Do you remember the resevoir having a stone tourette/castle looking thing up by it's damn and a very very pretty walking area on the lower side of the damn?

Edit: Haha, you replied while I was typing. My bet is lake Mcdonough

Old 06-22-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Lake McDonough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I think you may be talking about the Barkhamsted reservoir/lake Mcdonough in Barkhamsted/New Hartford.

That would be my guess.

Do you remember the resevoir having a stone tourette/castle looking thing up by it's damn and a very very pretty walking area on the lower side of the damn?

Edit: Haha, you replied while I was typing. My bet is lake Mcdonough
We didn't actually go see the dam (we stayed pretty close to the beach and rowed to a little wooded area), but I recall seeing signs mentioning a dam when we drove there. Your mention of a stone turret sounds familiar to me, but I don't know if that's because I've been Googling so much trying to find this place. I remember also having the feeling when we were there that the reservoir was somewhere over a high ridge close to us.

if it is Lake McDonough, can anyone recommend a nice little inn or B&B nearby?

~~D~~

Old 06-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
We didn't actually go see the dam (we stayed pretty close to the beach and rowed to a little wooded area), but I recall seeing signs mentioning a dam when we drove there. Your mention of a stone turret sounds familiar to me, but I don't know if that's because I've been Googling so much trying to find this place. I remember also having the feeling when we were there that the reservoir was somewhere over a high ridge close to us.

if it is Lake McDonough, can anyone recommend a nice little inn or B&B nearby?

~~D~~
That's the lake for sure. As for an Inn, this place is pretty much one of the best in the area...but it's more towards Hartford from the lake and not the NW Hills...but keep in mind we are talking 20 minutes here and there...and besides being closer to the Farmington Valley (West of Hartford) is surely NOT a bad thing at all.

Simsbury 1820 House - Simsbury, CT

Simsbury 1820 House (broken link)

Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM

Default The area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
That's the lake for sure. As for an Inn, this place is pretty much one of the best in the area...but it's more towards Hartford from the lake and not the NW Hills...but keep in mind we are talking 20 minutes here and there...and besides being closer to the Farmington Valley (West of Hartford) is surely NOT a bad thing at all.

Simsbury 1820 House - Simsbury, CT

Simsbury 1820 House (broken link)
Thank you for the link! Any suggestions on stuff to do in the vicinity?

Old 06-23-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello citychik, sorry for the delay - I'm not always online. I had hoped someone would answer some of your questions but I'll do what I can and maybe others can chime in too.

The Farmington River Valley is one of the most historic places in New England and is at the same time the Western suburbs of the city of Hartford. Don't let "suburb" fool you into thinking this is a tract housing and strip mall littered area.

I'm assuming a daytrip from the city brings the desire to do some "nature" things vs an art museum so some things that come to mind are the following.

Hiking up to the Heublin Tower at Talcott Mountain State Park. It's a short totally doable walk along the Avon mountain ridge to a 100 year old summer home and tower built by Gilbert Heublein (The liqour tycoon) which can be seen for miles in the area. It's a real nice relaxing and natural activity.

Friends of Heublien Tower | Talcott Mountain State Park

DEP: Talcott Mountain State Park

A half day of tubing on the Farmington river is a blast and way to kick back and just take in the nature of it while getting a scenic tour.

Farmington River Tubing - A Guide to Tubing on the Farmington River from Satan's Kingdom in New Hartford Connecticut (http://hartford.about.com/od/sports/a/aafarmrivertube.htm - broken link)

FARMINGTON RIVER TUBING --- Summer is officially here so come on down and ride the rapids!

A stop by Leonards Suger House in Canton is nice too for some fresh made maple candy and products.

If you want to take a hot air balloon ride you can do so with Windriders Balloon in Farmington 860-677-0647 or Airvertising and Airventures, Hot air ballooning and ultralights and powered parachutes. in Simsbury 860-651-4441 or 1-800-535-2473. (If you've never done it, it's a lifetime experience thing - believe me.)

The Stanely Whitman house is a great historical stop too if your into that kind of thing... The Stanley Whitman House

Action Wildlife is a one time farm come exotic animal rescue/zoo type thing that is totally unique. You basically wander around the property and get to see gazelles, zebra etc just like it was a horse farm or something. You have real access so if they want to come to the fence you can pet and touch the animals.

Action Wildlife

You can also stop by the world renowned International Skating Center in Simsbury and perhaps get a peak at one of the skating superstars doing a little workout if that interests you.

International Skating Center of Connecticut - Home Page

Of course the CT State Park system which is an AWESOME resource for all has parks all over the NW part of CT. I'll just post a bunch of links to various parks in the area below.

DEP: Mohawk Mountain State Forest

DEP: Campbell Falls State Park Reserve

DEP: Haystack Mountain State Park

DEP: Housatonic Meadows State Park

DEP: Mount Tom State Park

There's so much to do and see it's really hard to narrow it down without knowing your interests.

Perhaps others can chime in too.

Edit: And I just found the Simsbury 1820 House has this package as well.

Getting Back To The Basics
Enjoy one night accommodations

Hike up to the Heublein Tower
Relax with a personalized picnic lunch that we have prepared including two remembrance mugs of Simsbury 1820 House
Assorted brochures for local area attractions and activities.
A Full Complimentary Continental Breakfast including freshly baked pastries by our personal in-house chef
Complete package: $149.00*

Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,511 times
Thats the lake called Brown's Beach I think. Riverton Inn is my favorite

Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 65,060 times
Quote:
Go to the shops at Farmington Valley in Simsbury. Deffinetely go to Bob's Stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut