Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times

Advertisements

Woodstock does get a bit of help due to the Academy - parents from neighboring towns helping pay for the school operations there. Volunteer fire departments + no local police force also contribute, so you don't pay as much in services. There are a couple larger businesses in South Woodstock, which help the tax base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Woodstock does get a bit of help due to the Academy - parents from neighboring towns helping pay for the school operations there. Volunteer fire departments + no local police force also contribute, so you don't pay as much in services. There are a couple larger businesses in South Woodstock, which help the tax base.
Interesting because last I checked it was crazy low. Something like 8 or 10.

I figured it was the "Greenwich factor" due to the farms there that are worth a ton so they have a low mill rate to not totally soak the people with 30K tax bills.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Not that low. It's 17.92 right now, according to the town website.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Low mill rates don't necessarily mean low taxes.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:24 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Hey JV,

I like your plan, but like others have mentioned, NH is slowly (and gathering speed) turning into a MA or CT.
One thing you might do is to wait until November to see what happens in the NH elections this year. You'll have a better picture then if the trends are more likely to accelerate or slow down or even turn around.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Not that low. It's 17.92 right now, according to the town website.
I think the list I saw was from 2006. That would explain it. Oh well, I knew it was too good to be true. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Low mill rates don't necessarily mean low taxes.
I agree, that's why I was looking for the "surprise".

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
One thing you might do is to wait until November to see what happens in the NH elections this year. You'll have a better picture then if the trends are more likely to accelerate or slow down or even turn around.
EEEXCELLENT point.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,609 times
I don't know enough about NH to say whether it's good to move there, but I want to say that I think asking for opinions and suggestions is a fabulous idea. So many times, it can be a total stranger who points something out to you that you hadn't considered. There are so many things to consider when moving that you can't possibly think of everything.
I wish the state could get a grip on taxes so it didn't make people feel like they had to move. The taxes remind me of the housing boom. Home prices kept going up, up, up years ago that they had no place to go but crashing back down. The taxes have got to slow down at some point. This state has town that are over 200 years old, some towns over 300 years old. Yet most people will tell you that it's been in the past 10 years that taxes have doubled. So town expenses doubled in the past 10 years?
But anyway, keep asking around. I don't know how people moved to a new state before the days of the internet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut