Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 28,332 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

We need help! We've had this discussion between us so many times, we want to see what strangers think!

Where might you suggest a married couple in their early 30s looking to buy a home while simultaneously starting a family live if (i) the husband works in Westport, CT (his hometown) and the wife currently works in NYC, is actively looking for a job switch in Westchester or lower Fairfield, but still wants to stay close to NY b/c her family is on Long Island, (ii) the couple makes about $425K a year and has a budget of about $900K to spend on the home and (iii) the couple is looking for a good community to raise a family (we do not want to buy a place just to have to move again in 5 years b/c of the school district), with a town that also offers access to some culture, dining, beaches etc.

We sort of got our hearts set on Old Greenwich b/c it seems really community and family oriented and still close to Westport/NYC and all of the flash and glamour of Greenwich Ave. But man are the prices high!! We'll have to resort to a shack in that area with our budget :-(

Any other ideas? We've thought about but have yet to really get serious about houses in Cos Cob, Riverside, Rye, Rye Brook. Will we do better for our money in any of those areas but still be happy? Westport is sort of ideal price/community-wise but just way too far from my family and my current job. Oh and I'm familiar with Stamford but I'm not sure how the public schools are there and we can't afford private school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
You might want to check out a town like Wilton. Prices are a little less than Greenwich/Darien/New Canaan but you still have easy access to Metro North (out of Norwalk) into GCT, and just a short drive from Westport. Schools are excellent there, too.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
The eastern side of Greenwich, especially Old Greenwich, is wonderful. For $900k in OG or Riverside, you can buy an older home, 3 bdrm, approx 1/4 acre. If you want more land/bigger house, you need to look in Cos Cob, North Mianus, Glenville and Byram (these are all parts of Greenwich). Alternatively, try Darien or North Stamford (if you don't mind sending kids to private or Catholic school) or Rye, Bronxville, Larchmont or Bedford in Westchester -- all upscale towns with good schools (but taxes are much higher).

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Unfortunately, you are right in the middle of some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Greenwich is pricey but it is a beautiful town. You might check Darien or New Canaan where you get a bit more for your money. Wilton too is nice but also consider Weston.

If you don't mind a bit of a commute to New York, check Fairfield and Easton. Both are beautiful towns with excellent schools. You would get a very nice home for your money there. Jay

Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 AM

113 posts, read 325,864 times
Move to Greenwich. You pay more but the mill rate is low so your taxes are nil.

NY you do get to write off more property tax than CT. At your income you get $0.00. I'm a CPA, however analysis has to be done.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mla19 View Post
think!

Where might you suggest a married couple in their early 30s looking to buy a home while simultaneously starting a family live if (i) the husband works in Westport, CT (his hometown) and the wife currently works in NYC, is actively looking for a job switch in Westchester or lower Fairfield, but still wants to stay close to NY b/c her family is on Long Island, (ii) the couple makes about $425K a year and has a budget of about $900K to spend on the home and (iii) the couple is looking for a good community to raise a family (we do not want to buy a place just to have to move again in 5 years b/c of the school district), with a town that also offers access to some culture, dining, beaches etc.
You just described Westport! Look there...you will love it!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Unfortunately, you are right in the middle of some of the most expensive real estate in the country. Greenwich is pricey but it is a beautiful town. You might check Darien or New Canaan where you get a bit more for your money.
Not sure about Darien, but New Canaan is not cheaper than Greenwich, it's even more expensive.

To the OP, I would suggest Westport or Wilton, or possibly Darien. Stamford is not known for having a good school system.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Not sure about Darien, but New Canaan is not cheaper than Greenwich, it's even more expensive.

To the OP, I would suggest Westport or Wilton, or possibly Darien. Stamford is not known for having a good school system.
The average price of a home is higher in New Canaan and Darien, but I think it's because they don't have the smaller homes on lesser property that you see in Cos Cob and Byram.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Maybe not as many, but then again New Canaan is smaller than Greenwich. Most of the neighborhoods in downtown New Canaan consist of small homes on small lots. Years ago we came close to buying one of them, I wish we had, investment-wise.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe not as many, but then again New Canaan is smaller than Greenwich. Most of the neighborhoods in downtown New Canaan consist of small homes on small lots. Years ago we came close to buying one of them, I wish we had, investment-wise.
True. But I agree, I wouldn't say NC or Darien are any cheaper than Greenwich.

Regarding buying a home long ago - my grandparents passed years ago and left their small house in New Canaan to my parents. The price they paid in ~1960 vs what my parents sold it for a few years ago was unbelievable. In 20 years New Canaan went from a sleepy, laid back town in the woods to an uber-wealthy bedroom community of NYC.

Even though the schools are excellent, I think your kids are better off growing up in your current community than New Canaan. Lots of competition down there, and people don't think they're better than you - they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut