Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
There's nothing racially motivated about this incident.
Actually they're now saying on the news (on NYC Channel 7 it was the first story and they ran it for a good 6 or 7 minutes) that he called his mom right before killing himself and told her it was racially motivated. But they also said that his union rep said he never every came forward to complain about anything racial. But most importantly, while it may explain his "boiling point", it doesn't justify what happened at all........

Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
You are deluding yourself. tell me why are most workplaces in cities that are not predominantly black like Baltimore, Atlanta, DC etc, so segregated and usually in an environment you really have 1 or 2 AA, and the rest of the employees are caucasion, latino and asian. I am telling you race is still a huge issue in america.

I doubt none of you have ever been to Atlanta or DC. Great place where we see many young black youth succeed in environments similar to where this unfortunate incident happened. Race had everything to probably push this man to his boiling point. People hurt other people for retribution, rarely because they are psycho, and this was a case of man who was pushed to his boiling point because of the color of his skin.
Please show me where there were any documented cases of racism regarding this incident. I'd like to know how you're coming to your conclusion - I'd hate to say your comments are a case of reverse racism before I hear you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually they're now saying on the news (on NYC Channel 7 it was the first story and they ran it for a good 6 or 7 minutes) that he called his mom right before killing himself and told her it was racially motivated. But they also said that his union rep said he never every came forward to complain about anything racial. But most importantly, while it may explain his "boiling point", it doesn't justify what happened at all........
IMO, this is a case of one who refused to take responsibility for their actions (stealing beer) and made it about race. Happens all the time.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 PM

250 posts, read 563,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yep, 8 dead 3 in the hospital including one of the owners (Family business) who was shot in the neck.

Omar Thornton 34, was a resident of Enfield, and complained about being racially harrassed at work. No word on if that was his motive or not.

The rifle was a small caliber long range varmant rifle. A .223 which is a *touch* larger bore than a .22 - "Twenty Two" which are pop guns but they contain more powder in the shell for longer range and velocity but with a small impact when they hit. A very accurate long range weapon. One of my favorite guns for coyote.

High capacity is a matter of swapping clips.

This could have happened with a $100 Walmart 22, so please lets not make this about the gun, it's about a sick individual.
Absolutely!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,222 times
Lightbulb Ohhh Boy...

Quote:
You are deluding yourself. tell me why are most workplaces in cities that are not predominantly black like Baltimore, Atlanta, DC etc, so segregated and usually in an environment you really have 1 or 2 AA, and the rest of the employees are caucasion, latino and asian. I am telling you race is still a huge issue in america.

I doubt none of you have ever been to Atlanta or DC. Great place where we see many young black youth succeed in environments similar to where this unfortunate incident happened. Race had everything to probably push this man to his boiling point. People hurt other people for retribution, rarely because they are psycho, and this was a case of man who was pushed to his boiling point because of the color of his skin.
Hello---I'm black, and I think that 'boiling point' stuff is pure bull-hockey...

First of all, though, let me get on-topic, and say that my heart goes out to the victims and their families...I know this might sound corny to most, but I never leave the house for work in the morning without telling my wife that I love her, because tomorrow isn't promised, and I don't know if I'll be coming back through that door in the evening...the victims of the shooting aren't coming back, and that saddens me to no end---as in there but for the grace of God, go I...

Now...to say that jabroni grabbed a gun and killed 9 people, all because his a** got caught with his hand in the cookie-jar, so to speak, and instead of manning-up and facing the consequences (termination and possible theft charges), said 'I'ma get my rifle!' and took the cowardly way out and killed himself and 9 others, behind some 'racial' BS, is absolutely ludicrous...

I wish I had a nickel for every time I got mad about something---I'd have been retired at 30...but I WOULDN'T have grabbed a gun a started spraying lead, because I was having a bad day, or because I lost or was about to lose a job over some dumb stuff that was MY fault and nobody else's...and I ain't about to use race as an excuse for anything...you, my dear, are delusional if you think race had anything to do with this...dude snapped because he couldn't face the music, so murder-suicide was his parting gift to the world...end of story...

Old 08-04-2010, 03:03 AM

28 posts, read 36,476 times
Amazing how quickly the media is reshaping the story and refining the narrative. Most elements (Snaggle-tooth girlfriend's mother, Joanne Hannah, saying "Everyone has their breaking point," claiming Omar had been harrassed) are in place to defend the killer's conduct. Already neatly packaged, and ready to be consumed and forgotten.

Perhaps he drew those images on the bathroom walls himself, and then took the picture with his cell phone to show his girlfriend in order to garner sympathy from her.

It must be frustrating for the controlled media bosses, to not be able to get away with a total media blackout. All they can do is mitigate the damage by accusing the victims of racism. Imagine having a loved-one smeared in this way, postmortem. The murder victims are being called the worst thing you can possibly be, according to the media. Maybe the media should request they be buried in a special cemetery set aside for those whites who were not racially sensitive when alive. Over by the landfill.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
There is no excuse for these killings, short of self defense. ANd this was not a case of self defense. This guy clearly had major issues within himself and chose the wrong way to deal with them. I hate to condone suicide, but if life offends someone that much go for it. Just don't take others with you. These killings were all about revenge and then self pity.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:25 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
There is no excuse for these killings, short of self defense. ANd this was not a case of self defense. This guy clearly had major issues within himself and chose the wrong way to deal with them. I hate to condone suicide, but if life offends someone that much go for it. Just don't take others with you. These killings were all about revenge and then self pity.
Exactly. This was about revenge and self pity, couched in racism. I do feel sorry for his family, however. This has to be an incredibly hard thing for them to go through as well. So sad.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Dinner? Where's my plate?
You are welcome to my home anytime...seriously, in fact I owe you lunch since you moved up here. I'll DM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seriously. I'm pretty disgusted that people are now debating about guns. Can't say I'm shocked that another poster who regularly backs up certain conservative points of view decided to post in defense.

Take it to the Great Debates forum and try to put your damn agendas aside.
Well since we are offering advice, how about you stop fanning flames with comments that frankly started the whole debate and snipes like above. All I said is I wish someone there had a gun and was able to stop the guy because it makes me sick of the thought that a 60 year old guy who yelled to others to "flee" was hunted like a dog by this monster, run down and shot in the head. That's it.

Just say nothing or don't phrase it in a combative, snarky or accusatory tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewardbounder View Post
Perhaps he drew those images on the bathroom walls himself, and then took the picture with his cell phone to show his girlfriend in order to garner sympathy from her.
It's waaaay to soon to accept those things as fact. There is way to much conjecture going on.

Right now the ONLY source we have for these racial accusations is the mother of his girlfriend. I find it suspicious that his own mother or his girlfriend havn't said a word, yes "chatty mom" is all over the media.

Perhaps because she's saying what they want to hear. I smell something rotten.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
Quote:

The union indicated that there were no racial complaints filed by the shooter. Bottom line, the guy got caught stealing and got caught red handed. He had been written up for poor performances in the past.

So as to your assertions that race had something to do with this incident, you are wrong. He took the lives of innocent people and that had nothing to do with his race but it had everything to do with his failures and transgressions.

Seems like a classic case of blaming others for your own issues or problems.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM

2 posts, read 15,370 times
http://nhregister.com/articles/2010/...8987992782.txt

After shooting his co-workers, Thornton called his mother, who tried for 10 minutes to talk him out of killing himself, his uncle Will Holliday told reporters.

“He said, ’I killed the five racists that was there that was bothering me,“’ Holliday said. “He said, ’The cops are going to come in so I am going to take care of myself.“

Joanne Hannah, of Enfield, said her daughter, Kristi, had dated Thornton for the past eight years and had told her daughter he was being racially harassed. Kristi Hannah did not return calls for comment.

“Everybody’s got a breaking point,” Joanne Hannah said.

Thornton, who was black, had complained of racial harassment and said he found a picture of a noose and a racial epithet written on a bathroom wall, Hannah said. Her daughter told her that Thornton’s supervisors told him they would talk to his co-workers.

http://nhregister.com/articles/2010/...8987992782.txt

This was racially motivated. He complained about being racially harassed (which I wouldn't doubt for a second in this state), and none wanted to do anything about it. The supervisor said he would talk to his co-workers about it. What happened? There is no record of these complaints, and most likely at this point no one in that warehouse will go on record to admit there was a complaint or problem.

People will try to bury and deny this race issue and say that this was about stealing and is being turned into a race issue, when it is the opposite. It is a race issue that now people are saying it is about someone who stole and was getting fired.

He was black, was getting harassed at work. Complained, no one did anything. He probably started making more waves about it and then people started trying to find any reason to get rid of him. He probably knew this and was working in a "hostile", environment.

They got him on tape stealing beer. I would bet my bottom dollar he was not the first nor will be the last to steal beer from there. And I wouldn't doubt if he knew of others doing the same thing. But he was singled out in this case because of the "tension", at the workplace. He knew it and it put him over the edge. The comment he made to his mother that he "killed the five racists that was there that was bothering me", says it all.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch or tries to dismiss my logic with attack or diversion (as is so frequently the case around here), I am not condoning this nor justifying this in any way shape or form. This killer needs to face the death penalty, just like the guy that killed the teen in Waterbury (holyland). Just like the guy that stuffed the girl in the ceiling in Yale. Just like the Cheshire home invaders should have gotten.

I believe the racial segregation, intolerance, and tensions to be a REAL issue in CT which has been and continues to get worse. People hide in the closet about it, deny it, ignore it, or divert attention from it.

Take a look at the comments section at the bottom of this article. I can't tell you from yesterday to now, how many anonymous comments have been deleted. The racial hatred spewed (and still being spewed), has been rampant. Same with the Courant, Republican American, etc...

There is no quick fix. Especially since there are multiple generations worth of closet racists and prejudice. As well as multiple generations of a welfare state and entitlement mentality. It's a double edge sword and vicious cycle. Things will continue to decline on all sides after this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut