U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM

1,581 posts, read 4,769,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I really wish my rep points weren't so limited all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 AM

112 posts, read 207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yep, it's the poorest place on earth. They have burning cars in the streets and you better be out by dark.

I think I'm just going to make this a memory function on my keyboard: Hartford is very small landwise, less than a mile wide and 4 miles long.

I would challenge you to get accurate statistics from any medium sized city in the nation using a similar land mass.

The metro as a whole is one of the wealthiest in the nation. Period.

Hartford was also ranked 26th in the nation for arts and culture.

I mean I don't know how you live in Vernon and point at Hartford. The per capita income in Vernon for the CDP was $17,896. About 12.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.7% of those under age 18.

The ratio of sex offenders is 596:1.

It's #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of unmarried partner households (population 5,000+)"

#61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in homes for abused, dependent, and neglected children"

#17 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that drank alcohol in the past 30 days"

#20 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (8-hour) air pollution readings in 2005 (ppm)"

#31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2005 (ppm)"

Of course you realize, I'm using the dowtown area (Rockville) for the statistics only.
To use ONLY the Rockville area of Vernon is not a fair representation of Vernon as a whole. It would be like using only Downtown Manchester as opposed to Manchester as a whole. Again, skewing the facts. And WHERE are you getting these statistics?? I would love to see links to these "numbers" as they are waaay off from what C-D and other sites report. As for Vernon on C-D the per capita income is $32,960, 21 registered sex offenders and the crime rate is 86.5 (as of 2008). If you want to compare, Manchester per capita income is $33,242, 57 registered sex offenders and the crime rate is 228.9 (as of 2008).

Remember, when you point a finger there are four pointing back at you.

Oh and by the way, Hartford is 18 miles.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM

11,034 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomakeitinCT View Post
To use ONLY the Rockville area of Vernon is not a fair representation of Vernon as a whole. It would be like using only Downtown Manchester as opposed to Manchester as a whole. Again, skewing the facts. And WHERE are you getting these statistics?? I would love to see links to these "numbers" as they are waaay off from what C-D and other sites report. As for Vernon on C-D the per capita income is $32,960, 21 registered sex offenders and the crime rate is 86.5 (as of 2008). If you want to compare, Manchester per capita income is $33,242, 57 registered sex offenders and the crime rate is 228.9 (as of 2008).

LOL I don't even live in Rockville. I live in just plain old Vernon, which isn't bad at all. But yes, I do acknowledge that Vernon in general isnt one of the more desirable towns to live in, but IMO it's a lot better than Hartford!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 AM

8,155 posts, read 18,200,053 times
Quote:
To use ONLY the Rockville area of Vernon is not a fair representation of Vernon as a whole. It would be like using only Downtown Manchester as opposed to Manchester as a whole. Again, skewing the facts. ...

Sometimes I wonder if people are just slow or what.

That's my point, you can't judge the entire Hartford region...a major city on the small borders of Hartford which ends up being the "city center". Most metros such as Charlotte have MUCH larger land areas (174 square miles in it's case) that in comparison would include places like West Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor, Glastonbury etc in it's statistics.

Get it now?

You should learn the difference between distance and square miles. Hartford is 18 square miles.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 AM

181 posts, read 477,631 times
Quote:

Personally this whole post had me rolling on the floor laughing, just before I started throwing up because I can't stand hypocrites.

That whole episode aside; I think, like a couple others have said, that just about every area in Connecticut has its ups and downs. There are beautiful mid-sized cities, small cities, New England country towns, affluent suburbs, beach communities, old mill towns with lots of history, breath taking vistas in the seclusion of rolling hills, just about anything you could want except for mountains or completely flat terrain. Let us know what you do want if you know; and if you don't know, let us know what you don't want and we can help you figure out what you do want.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
He didn't. I'm simply elaborating upon his comments. Why are you constantly trying to criticize my posts in a negatively charged manner? You are not a moderator. It's like every single post I make, you're waiting around the corner to come out and criticize it.
Because "it's like" every single post you make, you're complaining about something. Since when is pointing something out criticizing?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,853 times
Regarding the OP's question, my vote goes to coastal lower Fairfield County. You have the benefits of living on the water, great public & private schools, beautiful homes and neighborhoods with character (ie not sub-divisions), shopping, excellent restaurants (not chains like Applebees), proximity to NYC and several metro-north stops, allowing you to avoid sitting in I95 traffic each day.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

722 posts, read 1,700,841 times
I think u have to break it down to what u like

my favorite rural area in CT is Roxbury/Bridgewater
my favorite suburban place would be Stamford (if u wanna consider it a suburb of NYC)
my favorite urban area is, of course, Waterbury.

I'd like to say Bristol is a nice urban/suburban area but it has too many suburban neighborhoods for it to be a city (I think). Plus when u drive through Bristol in the summertime, barely anyone is outside. I can only imagine what it looks like in the winter.

Connecticut has alot of friendly post-industrial towns, too.
Seymour, CT (#1), Plainfield, Putnam are all really friendly.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM

11,034 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Because "it's like" every single post you make, you're complaining about something. Since when is pointing something out criticizing?
I get this vibe that you're constantly out to get me. Not once have you agreed or positively elaborated on any of my posts.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM

15,742 posts, read 21,996,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Not once have you agreed or positively elaborated on any of my posts.
Because we usually disagree. Now let's get back on topic, shall we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or