Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

The CT general assembly Democrats just gave democrat Dan Malloy 6 million dollars of your tax money to run for governor. WHAT? Yea, it's true.

We just gave an individual 6 million dollars of tax payer money, in a recession, with HUGE state deficits, to run for office...That happened yesterdat. I hope you all support Malloy, because you just did with your wallet, LIKE IT OR NOT

The governor vetoed the bill, but because there is a democratic majority they were able to overide the veto.

I'm just shocked right now that we gave an individual 6 million dollars of tax payer money to run a campaign. Do they not see our budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
It's .1% of the total budget. The whole programme. Also, the vast majority of the funds are not from taxpayers, but rather sale of abandoned/uclaimed property, so the "you paid for it" is not entirely accurate.

Fedele also got money, and lost. Is that money wasted? In a way yes, but I honestly feel it is a small price to pay so that we know this guy isn't just coming in to make donors happy (although I doubt nepotism would cease entirely) and give away the house for pennies.

~Cheers

Old 08-14-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
It's .1% of the total budget. The whole programme. Also, the vast majority of the funds are not from taxpayers, but rather sale of abandoned/uclaimed property, so the "you paid for it" is not entirely accurate.

Fedele also got money, and lost. Is that money wasted? In a way yes, but I honestly feel it is a small price to pay so that we know this guy isn't just coming in to make donors happy (although I doubt nepotism would cease entirely) and give away the house for pennies.

~Cheers
You can't spin it...the state giving away millions to an indvidual, any individual to further their career is wrong. Thousands of honest politicians fund their own campaign through various means. If Malloy or Fedele or whoever, can't run a successful campaign, then maybe they don't have what it takes to cut the mustard.

Bottom line: We gave an individual 6 million dollars of tax money in a time of recession and huge deficits. (Not saying if we were not there, it would make a difference.) That's wrong.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,635 times
Elections are expensive, particularly when people are willing to shell out 10, 20, even 50 million dollars just to get the job. How does someone from the working or middle classes want to compete in government when they heavily get outspent?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Elections are expensive, particularly when people are willing to shell out 10, 20, even 50 million dollars just to get the job. How does someone from the working or middle classes want to compete in government when they heavily get outspent?
Malloy is none of those and beyond that, what about the other candidates now running? Just because Foley is a successful businessman and can fund his own campaign we the people should pony up and give Malloy tax money? Really? (For the record, I don't like Foley but reality is reality.)

Giving an individual 6 million dollars of TAXPAYER money is wrong. Dead wrong.

How does a "regular Joe" do it? Ask this guy:

About | Official Scott Brown for United States Senate site

95% of his campaign funding was individual contribution.

BTW there is never been a governors race in CT that has spent what you posted above.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Lets be fair, what Scott Brown accomplished was good, but in had many things in his favour. A surprise opening with Ted Kennedy passing away, a short campaign, national press based on his statements (trying to push the "Tea Party" narrative, for right or wrong), and a wildly unprepared and unenthusiastic opponent. While all good things, and really good on him, to say that this political rags-to-riches story can be the norm unfortunately seems unlikely.

~Cheers

Old 08-14-2010, 03:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Shoot I'd register as a Democrat and run for office and it'll only cost them $1 million. I'll use it to live on while me and my sister make signs out of old cardboard boxes and fat magic markers that read "Anon For President!" and duct-tape them to the side of my car and ride up and down I-91.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 AM

47 posts, read 157,000 times
The issue to me is trying to prevent wealthy people from "buying an election". We are seeing much too much of this in CT and across the country. What percentage of Congress is made up of millionaires? Do they represent the average joe? Should we really be surprised that they can't reign in their spending?Personally, I have to question the fiscal smarts of someone who will gladly spend $50million dollars to land a $175,000/year job. I also question the implication (McMahon, Foley, Lamont) that they are inherently fiscal conservatives because they "ran their own business'". The amount of money being spent doesn't scream fiscal conservative to me. Most CT citizens won't see $50 million in their entire lifetime. It kind of puts you out of touch, kwim? Malloy has offered to cap spending if Foley will agree and I sincerely hope that both men agree to run a clean, inexpensive campaign that focuses entirely on the issues. That would be a refreshing change for Connecticut.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
This is just another reason to dislike politicians. How they have any friends is beyond me.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The trouble with the line of thinking re: the average joe, is that the government isn't about placating the average joe. It's about serving the entire state, as a whole. What does the average joe know about fiscal responsibility? If he knew so much about it, he probably wouldn't be average. Unless you're winning lotto or inheriting from a rich uncle, it takes financial smarts to BE a millionaire. That includes, having the smarts to surround yourself with people who are also financially responsible. We're not talking about knowing how to make a car payment on time. We're talking about the kinds of finances that average joes wouldn't ever experience and know absolutely nothing about.

I'd rather have a Warren Buffett running the government, then the guy who installs my neighbor's air conditioner. Buffett has already proven he knows what it takes to amass funds, and keep it amassed, and spread it around so others can have it too. The AC guy has proven that he can keep the bank from taking his home. The AC guy is a swell guy, likeable, loves his family, always has a nice word to say. But no, I wouldn't vote for him to represent the state. I've never met Buffett, don't know much about him other than what I read in the papers. But if he lived in CT and was running for office, I'd vote him in, regardless of his stance on issues, based solely upon the fact that he knows how to run a business. And that's what government is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut