U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 PM

11,651 posts, read 11,565,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't know too much about Fairfield county, but I do know that the more affordable towns are Danbury, Bethel, Fairfield, Monroe, Trumbull and Stratford. I would say Bridgeport, but you don't want to live there lol. For $350K you cannot find anything decent in Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Westport, Weston, Ridgefield or Easton. Forget it.
Good suggestions and I agree that $350k won't get you much, if anything at all, in lower FFC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I wouldn't do Danbury. It's not really a family town. It's one of those towns that attract lower income people with numerous apartment buildings everywhere.
But I disagree here (surprise!). I lived in Danbury and there are a few sketchy areas (Spring/Beaver/Rose) but most of Danbury is middle class with a handful of affluent areas (Deer Hill/Aunt Hack) etc. The sketchy areas are just that - sketchy. They aren't dangerous. I wouldn't feel too unsafe walking down Danbury's worst neighborhood (probably Beaver St?) at 1am. Can't really say the same for Bridgeport, Hartford or New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 AM

4,706 posts, read 7,237,715 times
I'm not a fan of Danbury. We had friends that used to live in Danbury, but they left because of the schools. There is a high population of illegal immigrants there. Also, they commuted to Stamford and said the traffic was a nightmare. The OP might want to look a little further south. There are a lot of affordable homes in the OP's price range in towns like Trumbull and Monroe.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:23 AM

22,486 posts, read 11,343,785 times
"Starting from scratch"--not many can say or do this...so I respect that..best of luck..Fairfield near the Merrit is a nice area but for $300-350k you'll find more 2BR than 3 or nice deals on bank owned properties which there are plenty of.

When you say "40 minutes" from Stamford..you can expand your search to a wider range of towns. You can live as far as Stratford or Danbury...So many towns in between.

As far as happening towns with nightlife or things to do... One thing about CT...it's not like a big city where everything is centralized...each town has it's own cool thing to do... You got downtown Stamford, SoNo in Norwalk, Milford Strip, ..I prefer the relaxed atmosphere so I dont really know where else there is "a lot to do"..

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 AM

560 posts, read 1,230,744 times
Danbury has changed a lot over the last 10-12 years. It used to be you knew exactly the areas to stay away from (High Ridge, Laurel Gardens, Eden Drive, Beaver Street). Now with the the huge amount of illegal immigration, much of the downtown and surrounding areas are much more sketchy than they used to be.

That said, by no means is it any Bridgeport or Hartford (crime wise), but I feel the schools there these days leave somthing to be desired.

I have friends that left the city because of the downturn the schools have taken. It would not be a choice of where I would want my kids to go.

Maybe look at Brookfield vs. Danbury (close to the Danbury border in the candlewood lake area).

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM

588 posts, read 1,050,600 times
You should be able to find a nice (but very dated) 3BR/1.5ba cape in the Fairfield Woods or Stratfield sections of Fairfield for about $350k. I know a couple of houses near my street (just off Fairfield Woods Rd) closed in the past year for under $400k. There are a bunch of houses for sale in the 300-400k range on Woodridge Ave... it's a somewhat busy road (not a major thoroughfare, but still busy), but the property is usually a good size and the houses are smaller but nice. Schools are great, very family-friendly neighborhood, and near most amenities. Drive to the train is under 10 mins, then it's about 25 mins to Stamford, depending on the train. Or you can drive to Stamford and sit in a ton of traffic.

If your plan to commute to Stamford is mass transit, stay in or close to the train towns and search on Metro North's website (mta.info | Home Page) for schedules and timing for the trains.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 795,848 times
The job market is very tight right now in many fields. You'd best look carefully into whether you two are likely to find work in the area, then look for rental housing.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 AM

5,972 posts, read 11,659,621 times
Remember that you have nationalized healthcare in England. You don't here so you need to figure out that cost in the equation.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 13,445 times
Thanks everyone for replying!

I have one child and planning on having more. I miss the American family values (the British idea of holidays is to go to the pub and get drunk and they don't like to decorate their houses!) and the good school's in CT. I know Fairfield County is very expensive to live in, but don't mind having a modest home as long as it's a nice area for family and has decent schools. Thanks for all your advice. I think we'll be renting for the first couple of years once we get a job to save up and then will probably look for a house that needs some work on it to leave us with negotiating room on the price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut