Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times

Advertisements

I think package stores will deliver a large order of alcohol if you ask. Is there a law in place that prevents home delivery of alcohol by someone who doesn't have a package store?

I always thought it would be a good idea to do home delivery of alcohol (just like pizza), but never seen anyone doing it. I can only imagine there is some kind of law against it or one would need to hold a liquor permit.

One thing I came across on the internet regarding liquor permits in Conn is that permits are limited to 1 for every 2500 residents in the town/city. More specifically that is 1 package store for every 2500 residents according to the towns population. (I don't think bars\restaurants are counted in this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I believe there is some kind of ordinance regarding transporting of alchohol for sale, only allowed if you are a licensed distributor. That's why package store owners can't drive to (for instance) Kentucky and bring back a few cases of Jack Daniel's Special Reserve. They are only legally allowed to get the alchohol for their shop from a distributor authorized by the state to do the actual distributing.

As far as I know there are very limited exceptions to this and I can't recall the law itself but it's probably somewhere in the CT General Statutes.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM

327 posts, read 1,118,970 times
You definitely need a liquor license for this. Also the profit margin isn't there for just delivery of liquor. Most stores do it as a goodwill benefit or to outshine their competition.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
That's a good point, but that rule is in place to protect Conn's tax stream more than anything else. I am aware that if you own a package store you must buy alcohol from the distributor assigned to your area. This is why when Bud goes on sale, it's on sale at every packie in your area.

Maybe to clarify I don't own a packie. However, I could buy alcohol from a packie then deliver it. That would take care of the distribution part at least.
The fact I've never heard of someone doing this probably means there is a law in place preventing it.

Always seemed like a no brainer to me, but with the way everyone is afraid of alcohol it doesn't surprise me. This could help reduce the number of drunk drivers on the road as well.

It's strange to see how different states deal with alcohol sales too. In Michigan for example they have drive thru windows at the packie. Talk about encouraging drunk driving LOL.

I am interested in the answer, so I will try calling the state liquor board and try to get some clarification.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's a good point, but that rule is in place to protect Conn's tax stream more than anything else. I am aware that if you own a package store you must buy alcohol from the distributor assigned to your area. This is why when Bud goes on sale, it's on sale at every packie in your area.

Maybe to clarify I don't own a packie. However, I could buy alcohol from a packie then deliver it. That would take care of the distribution part at least.
The fact I've never heard of someone doing this probably means there is a law in place preventing it.

Always seemed like a no brainer to me, but with the way everyone is afraid of alcohol it doesn't surprise me. This could help reduce the number of drunk drivers on the road as well.

It's strange to see how different states deal with alcohol sales too. In Michigan for example they have drive thru windows at the packie. Talk about encouraging drunk driving LOL.

I am interested in the answer, so I will try calling the state liquor board and try to get some clarification.
Yeah, no. That would be illegal. You cannot distribute alchohol without being either an employee of someone licensed to do so (such as a bartender working for the guy who owns the bar and is the "permitee"), or being licensed to do so (the permittee). Or, you can be a licensed distributor (such as the wholesaler who sells the bottles to the package store).

Transporting alcohol for the purpose of distribution requires a license. Transporting alcohol for the purpose of your own personal use does not.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 9,267 times
Smile Liquor store which deliveries

Hi,
Meadowbrook Wine & Spirits in hamden has been delivering alcohol for over 2 years now. Its only $20 minimum and the delivery gets there within 40 mins. Recently they expanded their delivery radius. Now the go to other towns too, like Cheshire, Wallingford, North Haven, Meriden and more. Check out their website www.meadowbrookspirits.com. Their phone no is 203-248-WINE(9463) or 203-248-5236.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Peapod, Stop and Shop's home delivery service will deliver any beers carried in the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut