Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM

23 posts, read 28,103 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 25 year old single female moving to CT. Ideally, I would like to live in an area that is either very close to mass transit or is a mass transit area. I will be renting, so preferrably a neighborhood that has apartments at a decent cost in a decent neigborhood - and when I say decent I mean - no gangs hanging out on the street corners, no wild teenagers running around causing trouble, low police traffic, etc.

Also, I currently reside in Arizona and things are a lot different out here than on the East Coast. Can anyone please tell me what bills come along with renting an apartment on the East Coast? (ie. water, heat, security deposits) and also what are some of the best areas in New Haven to live for a single female, while keeping all of the above in mind.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 PM

34,688 posts, read 56,476,753 times
The East Rock, Westville and downtown neighborhoods would be best. Most apartments require the first months rent plus one months security. Depending on the apartment you will generally be responsible for heat, electric, cable and telephone. Around here most landlords will pay for water. Jay

Old 08-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks Jay.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:38 PM

220 posts, read 523,014 times
I moved to New Haven as a single 24 year old female - I have lived in East Rock since moving here and it is fantastic. I walk to work every day, I can easily take the bus (or walk) to the train station, and although I live on a relatively busy street, my apartment and neighborhood are still pretty quiet and very nice. I would actually say that East Rock as a whole is nicer than Westville for a single person, since there are a ton of graduate students and people around the same age in the neighborhood. There are very few teenagers.

Going rate for a 1 bedroom apartment in East Rock right now is probably about $900-1000. You can find some places that include heat, hot water, and/or electricity if you look on Craigslist. I pay for gas, cable, Internet, etc. myself. If you are willing to share an apartment with a roommate or two, you can probably find something around $500-$600.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
Also, the transit system here isn't exactly what you'd call "mass." It's more...modest. It's a modest transit system. There's the bus system. It's slow and clunky, and to get from point A to point B you usually have to transfer. If you are working and living -in- the general downtown area, you would be walking or riding a bike, not taking any kind of transit. If you live outside the general downtown area and live -on- a bus line, then you'd take the bus downtown.

If you live outside the general downtown area, and work somewhere outside the general downtown area, your best bet would be to drive a car.

I'm comparing our transit system to a more metropolitan system such as the MTA and the MBTA and the trolley system of San Francisco.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:28 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,772,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There's the bus system. It's slow and clunky, and to get from point A to point B you usually have to transfer.

And, for the most part, those riding the bus are doing so because they can't afford their own vehicle.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
And, for the most part, those riding the bus are doing so because they can't afford their own vehicle.
Buses much easier if you're connected to Yale since they have their own bus system (although really, they don't check ID when you get on so if you look like a student or a staff member no one will say anything).

There is a small car-free movement in New Haven so those people use the public buses as well - when I didn't have a car I was reliant on the public bus to get anywhere beyond a 45 minute walk. The student population tends to be very walk/bike oriented.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM

[quote=AnonChick;15638962]Also, the transit system here isn't exactly what you'd call "mass." It's more...modest.[quote]

If I lived in East Rock or Downtown, how far would I be from the Amtrack station?

Last edited by StartingOver!; 08-26-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StartingOver! View Post
If I lived in East Rock or Downtown, how far would I be from the Amtrack station?
Downtown is closer than East Rock - perhaps a 10-15 minute walk, depending on your part of downtown. There's also a free shuttle that goes to the station. East Rock is considerably longer - I'd say between 30 and 45 minutes if you walk pretty quickly. Driving - 5 minutes from downtown, 10-15 from East Rock.

Keep in mind that the walk to the station is not particularly nice and I wouldn't want to do it at night alone.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,676 times
thanks inetlom!

Last edited by JayCT; 08-27-2010 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: Deleted link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut