Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

I blame this whole "Earl coming to CT" thing on my father-in-law.

My father-in-law lives in South Florida -- hurricane central!

He flew into Long Island yesterday to visit his brother, and is coming to CT tomorrow to visit us.

Coincidence??? I think not!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-02-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
[LEFT]Definitely! Be a great experience...waves will be crashing, breezy...I'd love to see that out there.

Referring to Cape Cod. Nope, as a person who was there in the '50s for a few hurricanes, it is NOT a pretty picture. I remember my Dad drove up to Coast Guard Beach to see the waves crashing. We couldn't get out of the car, the wind was blowing so hard. The sea was all gray and thrashing and ugly.

Our vacation (complete with no electricity) had to be extended for a few days due to power outages and tree limbs across roads. Not roads near where we were staying, but there are only a few roads off the Cape so we were stranded until it all got cleaned up.

I also experienced whatever that was in Torrington CT around 1955. Oh, it was fun for us kids but the adults weren't too happy with it. No power, no water, houses swept away--and then we tried to get away and visit someone who had an artesian well so we could get water. When we tried to get back home, the bridges were GONE and so was the ROAD! I saw it-no ROAD anymore!!

I don't think you'll get this one in CT but if I were going to the Cape I would wait until Saturday and even then, make sure the roads are passable. Control your urge to look at the ocean -- it's not a pretty sight during a hurricane anyway. I think you'll be fine by Saturday on the Cape--even if you have a power outage there, the weather will be nice and you'll be fine. WATCH OUT for dangerous rip tides if you go in the water once the hurricane is gone. Someone around where I live in MA was already swept out to sea and drowned due to rip tides. Some Cape beaches have been closed for a few days already.

[/LEFT]

Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 PM

207 posts, read 452,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So to be consistent, you don't rely on the government for emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance services? You fend for yourself if your house catches on fire and your neighbors assist with their garden hoses?

Really? This is what you believe? Or is this just what you believe for poor, mostly African American folks in Louisiana?

Seems to be this is exactly where the government should step in. The fact is the government response was inept and tragic...
Alright lets play your game...(Qualifier)As a trained firefighter life safety is priority #1 I would get my family out of danger myself before calling 911 and then have someone else worry about calling while I help my neighbors get out to safety. If you want to just call for help and wait for someone to come save you that speaks volumes.

I would also know that in times of natural disaster like that the local emergency services personnel are most likely attending their family and neighbors first. Also I know that resources are limited and you can not depend on the hope alone. Ever hear of the fable "The Ant and the Grasshopper"?

To insinuate racism because I commented on a particular mentality only shows me that you have a bigger problem with race than most people. I was speaking specifically about a particular mindset. You can assign it to race if you want but I disagree. What happened in New Orleans had nothing to do with race and everything to do with a society that is becoming more and more reliant on the govt in all aspects of their life. Now 1/6 of all Americans receive some sort of financial assistance from the federal govt. they are white black asian hispanic etc. It is a growing entitlement mentality. That IMO is scary... even more than a hurricane.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Lets keep to the topic and not flame each other. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-02-2010, 04:12 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Lets keep to the topic and not flame each other. JayCT, Moderator
Thank you.. but it kinda reminds me why not to have kids. lol

Earl has Weakened and jogging slightly North North East...I dont think we'll see much here... Like I said from my very first post last week...."ITS GOING TO BE CLOSE, WE NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT"

Man was this close...but things can change tonight...these things have a mind of their own. Its weather, its nature, not even technology can predict an exact landfall spot. So if it hits or not, so be it...it should be fun watching these powerful course of nature and it should be a way to prepare people for a possible natural disaster......not to make yourself "look right". Period.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Earl has Weakened and jogging slightly North North East...I dont think we'll see much here... Like I said from my very first post last week...."ITS GOING TO BE CLOSE, WE NEED TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT"

Man was this close...but things can change tonight...these things have a mind of their own. Its weather, its nature, not even technology can predict an exact landfall spot. So if it hits or not, so be it...it should be fun watching these powerful course of nature and it should be a way to prepare people for a possible natural disaster......not to make yourself "look right". Period.
Its going to sea?? Really? Noo....... what a shock

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,715 times
Quote:
Man was this close
Snowman....have you learned not to panic and get hysterical with every weather event yet??? Do you know the story about The Boy Who Cried Wolf????

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:

I guess what will be interesting from this point forward…will be the visual and sensible weather effects as Hurricane Earl approaches the Connecticut area and passes to the east. Looks like the core of the Hurricane will pass about 50-miles east of the Cape and Islands. So we'll see what the next 36 hours holds.

The first interesting thing is that since this is a very large cyclone, I noticed on satellite that the first few sprial bands are really not that far off Long Island/southern Connecticut. Everyone in most areas of Connecticut early on Friday morning should be able to see these signature clouds of tropical cyclones. So here comes the humidty folks:

Sprial bands from a tropical cyclone in Connecticut? Is this the Tri-State area or Brisbane? - lol.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:26 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
WaveHunter! I just took this at sunset from my roof. Earl's Outer band clouds. Georgous isn't it? Now I heard the radius of Tropical Force winds will be larger in NorthEast then in North Carolina..If thats the case then the worry is back on. Gees.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
WaveHunter! I just took this at sunset from my roof. Earl's Outer band clouds. Georgous isn't it? Now I heard the radius of Tropical Force winds will be larger in NorthEast then in North Carolina..If thats the case then the worry is back on. Gees.
Nice picture! Looks like the first banding curris overriders in a tropical cyclone to me. Hey, where are you, Islamorada, Florida – lol.

I guess you and I are the only weather geeks who are in awe of nature…so observationally we might as well enjoy it for better or worse. I just hope it sticks to the forecast track…I can’t afford any damage financially or mentally – lol. My area (coastal southeastern Connecticut) is under a tropical storm warning (winds 40 – 74 MPH). I went through Hurricane Bob in 1991 at this location with gusts to 50-mph and only had a few branches down and lost three roofing shingles, so it wasn’t too bad. My power was off for only half a day. Bob made landfall fall in Newport, Rhode Island… much closer to me than where Earl is supposed to make landfall (maybe Nantucket?)…but Bob was a much smaller cyclone. So hopefully I will be as equally lucky this time. Just as you say…the expanding wind field with latitude is still a huge concern. This is still a 947 mb cyclone…which is still close to a record where it is right now.

I just came back from a walk on the beach…and the ocean has that look it gets when a strong ocean storm is offshore. The water looks like little pieces of cracked glass, like its quivering or something. It always looks so strange no matter how many times I see it. I think tomorrow will see the first spiral bands with showers, gusty winds, and very humid air. I’ll keep you posted from down here on the southeastern coastline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut