U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:25 PM

6,860 posts, read 5,250,694 times

Advertisements

So...

I am currently in Vernon and my lease is about to expire in November, so I need to start thinking about my next move. I actually don't know anything about East Hartford. I've never really been inside it; only driven through it on I-84 or Route 15, etc. I *think* it might be more affordable, but prove me wrong (or right).

I am tired of paying $1,150 for rent for a 1 bedroom in Vernon, and want to cut costs. I am hoping to find a decent rental for under $1,000, with washer & dryer included in the unit, and either a 2nd bedroom or private basement for my gym equipment. Is this possible in East Hartford? Is East Hartford sketchy or safe?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,347,738 times
Given your posts about Manchester - I wouldn't bother looking in EH. The two towns are not that different. Although 50,000 other people call it home and manage to live there. Besides, with your dads real estate connections I'm sure you shouldn't have any problem finding a rental somewhere suitable to your needs.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM

8,156 posts, read 13,117,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Given your posts about Manchester - I wouldn't bother looking in EH. The two towns are not that different. Although 50,000 other people call it home and manage to live there. Besides, with your dads real estate connections I'm sure you shouldn't have any problem finding a rental somewhere suitable to your needs.
LOL I was just going to say the same thing.

Well at least we now know why he thinks Manchester is South Central.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Well, my dad only does commercial real estate now, no more residential, so I'm pretty much on my own. I'm *okay* with Manchester, but like I've said...I just think there are many better options than it.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM

8,487 posts, read 9,895,543 times
Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth...........

Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM

7,223 posts, read 5,139,964 times
It's very easy to find a one bedroom rental in Vernon for under $1,000. I have an older but clean and up to date condo for well under $1,000.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It's very easy to find a one bedroom rental in Vernon for under $1,000. I have an older but clean and up to date condo for well under $1,000.
This is true, but I don't want a 1-br unless it has a basement. I need the extra room to fit my gym equipment, which requires space about the size of a mid-sized bedroom.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:14 PM

12,060 posts, read 12,886,944 times
I heard from my sister's friend's brother-in-law's mom that someone broke into an East Hartford house in 1998. They stole a TV, so this makes the town really dangerous. Stay away!!!!

Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,347,738 times
I'll post what I posted months ago about EH - frankly, not because I am trying to help the OP because I personally think he started this thread just to incite another 8 pages of why xyz town sucks - I'll post just in case someone else comes across this thread and is actually looking for info...

PROS
Home are relatively affordable
Nice neighborhoods still line the southeast corner and extreme northeast corners of town.
Close/central to everything, hartford, mall, etc
Decent town services - trash, leaf collection are included in your taxes. EH also has a huge inititative/funding in place to repave almost all town roads in the next few years.
Plenty of parks, most have pools, tennis, play areas.

CONS
There are some shadier/run down areas so certainly look around and get a feel for the neighborhood before you buy.
Crime sats are skewed for the town as a whole based on these areas.
Image - EH has a horrible image. I don't think it merits the image it has, but if image of where you live is important to you, don't buy in EH.
Limited retail/restaurants that i would qualify as places people "go to".
School system is failing - if you have kids or plan to, move or send them to a local catholic/private school.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:15 PM

207 posts, read 253,475 times
The only thing I can say about EH is it has an amazing family run Italian restaurant named Al Fresco. The best place I have found since moving to CT and that is saying a lot bc IMO there is some really good food here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut