Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Probably because he isn't established yet and doesn't want to risk losing everything by overestimating his potential to succeed in a saturated market.
How do you know anything about the OP....why would you answer for him??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 37,192 times
I hadn't done much research yet on salaries of DC's in Connecticut but good to know that it sounds fairly healthy. I am in a way saturated city right now (Portland, OR) and so I think the salaries are probably lower. Anyway, the main reasons for the more modest housing price limit is my unknown income but also more about our lifestyle - we love to travel and prefer to spend our money on that, as opposed to a house. With that being said, if we need to spend more to be in a quiet, safe town that we love, then we're open to it.
Also, I've noticed most people are suggesting cities near Hartford - is the rest of the state not as desirable? How about closer to the coast? Thank you again for taking the time to respond!

Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
No one suggested towns closer to the coast because unfortunately your budget would price you out - at least anywhere south of New Haven, which is considered suburban NYC. Perhaps in more northern areas near the coast (ie Groton/New London) it may be more affordable, but still, I don't think under 300k...

There are some great options in the middle of the state though, and remember - CT is a small state. Your drive to the coast wouldn't be too bad, plus there are plenty of lakes & rivers in central/western CT.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Coastal Connecticut is beautiful for the most part, with very fantastic towns to live in. I agree with Jax to say that the reason no one outright suggested it was due to your stated price point and wish to be in a more rural setting. Unfortunately Jax is perpetuating a myth, there are some real gems in Fairfield and New Haven counties that are affordable (as well as the myth that its' considered "suburban nyc," which it might be but more held to those outside of the area). You might not get everything you might be looking for ideally, but you might be surprised on what you get in certain tradeoffs.

I just checked a search through multiple very nice towns in both Fairfield and New Haven counties and came up with a few hundred listings. Some have nice yards with about an acre (many in Trumbull, Bethel, and Orange all of which are lovely towns) to more cozy places in towns that abut the Sound (Stratford came back with some nice properties). Furthermore, just to let you know even the more compact older towns (I'm thinking specifically about Fairfield, it's what I know best) in the more compact neighbourhoods have many mature trees and a sense of privacy. It may be worth your effort to even check out a few of those towns on Realtor.com or Ravies.com and see what tickles your fancy.

Might also want to check out towns in Middlesex County and New London County, I wish I could help you more on those but I don't know enough about them other than many of the towns are very cute.

As for your question about the feeling about outsiders coming in... many in Connecticut (and a good chunk of the East Coast for that matter) are generally used to the ebb and flow of immigration both intrastate and international. We might not roll out the welcome mat, mind you, but I think it'd be fairly rare to face any hostility. Yankees are fickle things, it seems the general trend is to treat others doubly however they are being treated (nice gets double nice, mean gets double mean, indifferent is a wash lol). Best of luck though!!

~Cheers

Last edited by Beeker2211; 09-05-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Coastal Connecticut is beautiful for the most part, with very fantastic towns to live in. I agree with Jax to say that the reason no one outright suggested it was due to your stated price point and wish to be in a more rural setting. Unfortunately Jax is perpetuating a myth, there are some real gems in Fairfield and New Haven counties that are affordable (as well as the myth that its' considered "suburban nyc," which it might be but more held to those outside of the area). You might not get everything you might be looking for ideally, but you might be surprised on what you get in certain tradeoffs.

I just checked a search through multiple very nice towns in both Fairfield and New Haven counties and came up with a few hundred listings. Some have nice yards with about an acre (many in Trumbull, Bethel, and Orange all of which are lovely towns) to more cozy places in towns that abut the Sound (Stratford came back with some nice properties). Furthermore, just to let you know even the more compact older towns (I'm thinking specifically about Fairfield, it's what I know best) in the more compact neighbourhoods have many mature trees and a sense of privacy. It may be worth your effort to even check out a few of those towns on Realtor.com or Ravies.com and see what tickles your fancy.
A few things...

The NY Metro area includes everything south and west of New Haven and Waterbury. It is hardly a "myth". The area is home to ~50% of the state's population and is served by Metro-North commuter rail. The further southwest you go in CT, the more NYC commuters you'll find. I don't really understand when people claim CT is not suburban NY - I'm not sure if it's a 'New England snobbery' thing or if they just don't like NY. But by and large, southern CT is very much a part of the NYC metro in every way.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next the reason why the coast wasn't suggested is because for under 300k, you will get a lot more for your money in the Hartford area. As someone who has gone through the tough home-buying process, what you get for under 300k west of New Haven is something that, while livable, will need work in the very near future. Seeing 10 pictures on Realtor.com is nothing like the real thing. I've seen photos that make a home look beautiful but when you visit, it's hard to believe it's the same house. Further, any town where you will find a home for under 300k, the OP wouldn't like because even if there are trees, they aren't even close to rural (Stratford, Milford, West Haven). Yes, there are rural-ish parts of those towns, but those areas will be more expensive.

To the OP: I think West Hartford would suit you perfectly, but that's one of the more affluent suburbs in the area and, again, you may not be happy with what you can find for your money. One thing you have working in your favor is that you're not expecting a mcmansion for $300k. More than likely, you're looking at a modest ranch or raised ranch. Maybe a colonial in one of the cheaper CT towns.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:47 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A few things...

The NY Metro area includes everything south and west of New Haven and Waterbury. It is hardly a "myth". The area is home to ~50% of the state's population and is served by Metro-North commuter rail. The further southwest you go in CT, the more NYC commuters you'll find. I don't really understand when people claim CT is not suburban NY - I'm not sure if it's a 'New England snobbery' thing or if they just don't like NY. But by and large, southern CT is very much a part of the NYC metro in every way.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First this, I'm only going by traditional relationships of suburbs to their cities as found elsewhere in the country and world and more importantly the New York suburbs. Less than 5% of Fairfield County that works does so in New York according to the Fed (from 2005 but still).

The Evolution of Commuting Patterns in the New York City Metro Area - Federal Reserve Bank of New York
(Figure 1)

The vast majority of people here have a day to day relationship with essentially their home town and their regional centres, New York (while nice these days) really doesn't factor in except special occations. Are Fairfield and New Haven Counties part of the Megapolis though? That I will definitely agree with.

Second, I'm well aware that a few photos on Realtor.com isn't a substitute for the real thing I have been on the look out at open houses for the better part of a year trying to sort through some extended family issues. I have an ok sense on what's out there in the Greater Bridgeport, Stamford, and Danbury areas. Might take work to find and check out but there are gems out there and not everyone knows what our development patterns are like so worth mentioning.

Although ultimately I agree, West Hartford is a great town and certainly worth a look.

~Cheers

Old 09-05-2010, 11:01 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
The vast majority of people here have a day to day relationship with essentially their home town and their regional centres, New York (while nice these days) really doesn't factor in except special occations.
Sorry, but this is false. Where I grew up in the Norwalk/Stamford area, it was not uncommon to see people head into the Bronx or Manhattan for lunch, dinner or to grab a drink. Now if you're talking about people on the outer fringes of the area (New Haven or Waterbury) then you're 100% correct.

I know people from Yonkers and Hoboken who rarely go to Manhattan. With your logic, if 95% of people in Hoboken work in north Jersey, then it's not a suburb of NYC?

I'm not going to turn this this thread into a debate on whether or not southwestern CT is suburban New York. Simply put, it is.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I agree that outside Fairfield County the OP's budget would generally stretch farther. Still, there are some bargains to be found.

I wouldn't describe W. Hartford as rural. And I think $300k might be a little low there. I would suggest the OP do some research first, and figure out which areas are more in need of a chiropractor to help narrow down a location.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCub12 View Post
Also, I've noticed most people are suggesting cities near Hartford - is the rest of the state not as desirable? How about closer to the coast? Thank you again for taking the time to respond!
I think most people are recommending the Hartford area because it is the largest metro area in the state and has all that you asked for. You could easily live in a rural area and commute to a more densely populated area for your practice.

If you want to be nearer to the shore, the New Haven area is very nice too. The shoreline area east of New Haven is wonderful. Check the towns of Branford, Guilford and Madison are charming upscale communities ith much of what you are looking for. New Haven itself is a small city with a lot of shopping, restaurants and entertainment options. There is a worlc class medical commmunity in New Haven centered on the Yale-New Haven Medical Center. Plus access to New York would be very easy with regular train service to Manhattan every day. Jay

Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 37,192 times
Thank you all for your opinions and information - it is all extremely helpful.
Another question: It seems like much of the state is fairly rural - how are the recreational opportunities as far as hiking, camping, skiing, etc.? Being in Oregon, we're quite spoiled as far as that goes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut