Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

59 posts, read 99,989 times

Advertisements

We have no experience with towns that regionalize schools. Were looking at 2 houses both in nice towns but one town regionalizes with another. It has us worried because the house is located about 20 mins from the high school. That obviously takes longer on a bus. Does anyone have experience with regionalized schools?

Were leaning more in favor of the town that has a highschool 4 minutes down the road. Both towns are equally nice, similarly priced and both public schools perform well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:04 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Some of the best districts in the state are Regions (5, 9, 15).

Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 PM

428 posts, read 1,173,702 times
Agreed, Kid.

Amity, Pomperaug, RHAM, Joel Barlow, Norwich Free Academy are particularly notable, and among the best in the state! Which regional district are you looking at?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
I wouldn't care if a district was regional, as long as the schools performed well and the distance wasn't inordinate. Regionalization for small towns is much more cost effective than having a whole slew of tiny school districts.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:31 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
We live in a Regional District and we like it. It can get frustrating since you're trying to please or convince two towns when it comes to budget time, but since I live in the town more prone to knock down the school budget, I'm glad the other town lifts us.

NFA is a little different, I believe, though when it comes to funding.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I wouldn't worry that a town is part of a regional district. Even by Connecticut standards our regional districts are small serving just a couple of towns at most. In other states, regional districts are the norm and IMHO that is where the problems arise with this country's public education system. There is less oversight and accountability in these systems so the education suffers. But that is not what happens here. Jay

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 AM

What is more concerning to us is not the quality of the school but the distance of the middle and high school from the home we like. Norwich Free Academy is very far from my job and I don't think Norwich would be a town we would consider anyway. We are looking on the western side of the state.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,505 times
Are you looking on the Northwest side (Litchfield County)? Most of the those schools (Shepaug, Wamago, Northwest, Housatonic Valley) are regionalized because of the towns' small sizes and high summer populations. They are all good schools in educated communities.

As for distance…well, you just deal with it. I spend A LOT of time in the other town because my kids are younger. It will come full circle in high school they say. They are used to the 45-50 minute ride and not bothered by it. You just make the best of it. Honestly, my kids feel like they are part of two communities. Also, many people travel twenty minutes or more to a school even if it's in the same town.

Also, want to add that any schools that are regionalized will stay that way no matter how much opposition there is. Orange had enough students to go on their own, but were rejected. Prospect and Beacon Falls are not even next to each other and went through a bitter war over the high school, and they were rejected. As far as the state is concerned, regionalized school system are one town.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:59 PM

We're looking at a house on the far end of Bethany near the Naugatuck line, and another house in Quaker Farms off Rockhouse Hill Road right by the high school. I have never lived in a rural town so its possible that the remote section of Bethany will be a shock to our system. I don't know why but some of the houses in Oxford online say Per BOE under the high school listing. They don't still bus kids to Masuk I thought, unless it depends what section of town you live in.

Can someone give a recommendation for a good realtor in the Seymour Naugatuck area?

Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Another problem with Bethany could be if they're good friend lives in Orange. Mapquest estimates it at 32 minutes. What are these towns thinking?! The more I think about Bethany and Orange being part of the same high school, the more I'm turned off to it. That's a big area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut