U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 132,086 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently researching housing options for a job in Norwalk. From what I've seen, Norwalk seems to be an expensive community to live in (am I mistaken?) Then again, I live in Pittsburgh currently and our cost of living is much lower.

In any event - could anyone provide advice on finding housing? I'm looking for the following:

1. Rental
2. Pet friendly (I have a 49lb, CGC, TDI certified dog who will be coming with me. For those that don't know what that is, it's AKC behavioral certification / therapy dog.)
3. Rent around 990~, less of course is fantastic
4. Studio or one-bedroom
5. In a relatively safe area as I walk my dog quite frequently

Also, could anyone provide insight into cost of living? Is it as comparable to New York as I'm being led to believe?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM

489 posts, read 463,912 times
Smile Why Norwalk?

Not really sure why you have selected Norwalk; there are lots of towns but you may want to consider Fairfield or Stamford. Norwalk has a lot of shootouts and drug violence. I would go out to dinner or a movie there; but I wouldn't live there. New Canaan has the most fantastic dog park in the county.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 PM

2,081 posts, read 3,917,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post

In any event - could anyone provide advice on finding housing? I'm looking for the following:

1. Rental
2. Pet friendly (I have a 49lb, CGC, TDI certified dog who will be coming with me. For those that don't know what that is, it's AKC behavioral certification / therapy dog.)
4. Studio or one-bedroom

Also, could anyone provide insight into cost of living? Is it as comparable to New York as I'm being led to believe?
There are plenty of nice sections of Norwalk....and Norwalk is on the water so if you like the beach or your dog likes walks on the beach you are in luck! I personally would avoid South Norwalk but nice areas of Norwalk include Rowayton, West Rocks, East Norwalk, West Norwalk, Silvermine and Cranbury. Plenty of safe neighborhoods to walk your dog.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM

8,956 posts, read 9,128,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Not really sure why you have selected Norwalk; there are lots of towns but you may want to consider Fairfield or Stamford. Norwalk has a lot of shootouts and drug violence. I would go out to dinner or a movie there; but I wouldn't live there. New Canaan has the most fantastic dog park in the county.
An exaggeration to say the least. Norwalk has many nice sections. On less than $1,000 a month, you are going to be limited. Fairfield County Connecticut IS one of the most expensive areas in the country. Norwalk is between two VERY expensive towns-- Westport and Darien. Westport started as an artist's enclave and became (like Darien) an expensive retreat for executives working in NYC.

You might want to look in the Black Rock area of Bridgeport. Bridgeport is a rough city, but Black Rock is widely regarded as the nicest area. It has restaurants, bars, movies and is convenient to shopping. You want to stay west of Ellsworth Avenue if you look in Black Rock.

You may also consider going north on Route 7 to the Danbury area. Danbury is away from the coast of Connecticut. It is a small city with all of the conveniences you need-- Good shopping, a number of good restaurants, etc. The route to Norwalk for work might be a bit trafficy since it's not exactly a super highway.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM

22,320 posts, read 36,830,775 times
Norwalk is in one of the most expensive parts of the country. It is a small city with a few not great areas but not nearly as bad as described by SailCT. There are some very nice parts of it as well. I agree that you may have to look further up the coast toward Bridgeport for a place in that price range. Good luck, Jay

Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 AM

57,534 posts, read 39,961,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlewis View Post
Hi, I'm currently researching housing options for a job in Norwalk. From what I've seen, Norwalk seems to be an expensive community to live in (am I mistaken?) Then again, I live in Pittsburgh currently and our cost of living is much lower.

1. Rental
4. Studio or one-bedroom

THANKS!
Here you go. new york all apartments classifieds "norwalk" - craigslist=

Sort through the pricing, then find out the location of the ones under $1000 and come back and post here. Or email me. I'm very familiar with Norwalk and can tell you if its a nice area for you and your dog. I have a rental in Norwalk for $900 but that wont be ready till Spring. So its very possible to find a rental for that price even in Single Family homes(basement) in a nice neighborhood.

Stay away from zips 06852, 06856, 06857, 06858, 06859

Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM

57,534 posts, read 39,961,244 times
And if your renting you dont have to worry about the "cost of living" compared to NY.

Gas for car is cheaper in Norwalk.
A bottle of milk give or take a few cents wont matter.

Now if you want to compare to down south, thats a different ballgame.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:16 PM

99 posts, read 132,086 times
Default thanks!

Thanks for all the input.

The job I'm considering is located in Norwalk - and it's not necessary that I live there - just looking for a reasonable commuting distance.

Thanks for the advice, all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut