U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,212 posts, read 5,036,336 times
Reputation: 3872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
He/she was being sarcastic when rooting for Linda.
No he wasn't. If you read his previous posts he has consistently supported Linda and I believe the comments to be genuine.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,003 posts, read 1,257,831 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No he wasn't. If you read his previous posts he has consistently supported Linda and I believe the comments to be genuine.
You got me. Wow. I am shocked that anyone would honestly think that personally spending one's way into a position is not unethical. You see something new everyday.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Norwalk, CT
6,619 posts, read 5,039,085 times
Reputation: 3644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
You got me. Wow. I am shocked that anyone would honestly think that personally spending one's way into a position is not unethical. You see something new everyday.
I just dont think candidates should be judged on their spending habits. It is for the purpose of generating momentum and is completely irrelevant to how they will perform as a real politician. I guarantee you if Blumenthal had that kind of money, he'd be using it for campaign purposes too. Why not?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,212 posts, read 5,036,336 times
Reputation: 3872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just dont think candidates should be judged on their spending habits. It is for the purpose of generating momentum and is completely irrelevant to how they will perform as a real politician. I guarantee you if Blumenthal had that kind of money, he'd be using it for campaign purposes too. Why not?
Let's apply it to real life. What if I were to come in and buy YOUR job? Now it know it's not an exact comparison, however, because I had enough money, your out of a job, and I am sitting in your job-- REGARDLESS of my lack of qualifications to actually DO the job. Is that ethical? Is that fair? What if you were truly more qualified and I simply had money...

If the rich continue to purchase political seats we could be well on our way to a plutocracy (if we're not already there). A plutocracy is run by and for the benefit of the rich. You are just labor. It's not what I want and allowing otherwise unqualified candidates to buy political seats is unfathomable.

Kristin85 also raises (and correctly so) the issue of the ethics of spending your way in to political office versus working your way there.

Furthermore, how one gets in to office can often be seen as a model for how one will act as a politician. It is completely relevant. You don't WANT it to be relevant because it paints the candidate you support in a poor light.

If Blumenthal were to spend $50 million on his campaign (which hardly seems necessary as he holds an 8 point lead while being outspent 7 to 1 according to today's poll) you could STILL make the argument that his years as attorney general qualified him to hold a seat in the senate.

Besides being rich and Vince McMahon's wife, how is Linda qualified?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Norwalk, CT
6,619 posts, read 5,039,085 times
Reputation: 3644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Let's apply it to real life. What if I were to come in and buy YOUR job? Now it know it's not an exact comparison, however, because I had enough money, your out of a job, and I am sitting in your job-- REGARDLESS of my lack of qualifications to actually DO the job. Is that ethical? Is that fair? What if you were truly more qualified and I simply had money...

If the rich continue to purchase political seats we could be well on our way to a plutocracy (if we're not already there). A plutocracy is run by and for the benefit of the rich. You are just labor. It's not what I want and allowing otherwise unqualified candidates to buy political seats is unfathomable.

Kristin85 also raises (and correctly so) the issue of the ethics of spending your way in to political office versus working your way there.

Furthermore, how one gets in to office can often be seen as a model for how one will act as a politician. It is completely relevant. You don't WANT it to be relevant because it paints the candidate you support in a poor light.

If Blumenthal were to spend $50 million on his campaign (which hardly seems necessary as he holds an 8 point lead while being outspent 7 to 1 according to today's poll) you could STILL make the argument that his years as attorney general qualified him to hold a seat in the senate.

Besides being rich and Vince McMahon's wife, how is Linda qualified?
That's not true. His lead is only by 3 points now and shrinking.

As of last Tuesday, by Quinnipiac: http://ctmirror.org/story/7809/quinn...pulls-3-points

Secondly, there are no laws or rules regarding how much one can spend for his or her campaign. Linda is breaking no rules whatsoever, and more and more people want her by the day.

Thirdly, it's NOT Blumenthal's job. The job is not entitled to him at all. He is simply running for it. Linda is just as much entitled to the job as he is. It's up to us CT people to decide.

Last edited by nep321; 10-04-2010 at 03:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,212 posts, read 5,036,336 times
Reputation: 3872
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's not true. His lead is only by 3 points now and shrinking.
Sorry... He's not ahead by three in today's poll. He's ahead by 12. The poll is announced on this page: Public Policy Polling - Highly Accurate Polls, Affordable Research for Candidates and Organizations If you want you can read the 11 page press release analyzing the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Secondly, there are no laws or rules regarding how much one can spend for his or her campaign. Linda is breaking no rules whatsoever, and more and more people want her by the day.
Who said she's breaking the law? The complaints were about the ethics of buying a seat not about illegal acts. If it's okay with you simply because it's legal, I guess you have different ethical standards than I do. And the law changes.... It's legal now. I think election reform is coming, as people are tired of electing the best marketed candidate instead of the best candidate.

As far as more people wanting her every day, that does seem to be born out in the polls. I think she is making the same mistake Ned Lamont did. Too much negative campaigning is turning people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Thirdly, it's NOT Blumenthal's job. The job is not entitled to him at all. He is simply running for it. Linda is just as much entitled to the job as he is. It's up to us CT people to decide.
I don't know who said that Blumenthal was entitled to the job.

Can you make a case that she's more QUALIFIED than Blumenthal that's based on thought and rational analysis? With all due respect you seem to be a solid Linda cheerleader, but can't come up with much in the way of facts to support her candidacy... Besides that she's rich-- you'll remember cheering the fact that she's going to spend $50 million dollars a few posts ago...

By the way... Before someone screams that the PPP poll is left leaning: The Wall Street Journal called it one of the two most accurate polls in the country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Norwalk, CT
6,619 posts, read 5,039,085 times
Reputation: 3644
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Sorry... He's not ahead by three in today's poll. He's ahead by 12. The poll is announced on this page: Public Policy Polling - Highly Accurate Polls, Affordable Research for Candidates and Organizations If you want you can read the 11 page press release analyzing the data.



Who said she's breaking the law? The complaints were about the ethics of buying a seat not about illegal acts. If it's okay with you simply because it's legal, I guess you have different ethical standards than I do. And the law changes.... It's legal now. I think election reform is coming, as people are tired of electing the best marketed candidate instead of the best candidate.

As far as more people wanting her every day, that does seem to be born out in the polls. I think she is making the same mistake Ned Lamont did. Too much negative campaigning is turning people off.



I don't know who said that Blumenthal was entitled to the job.

Can you make a case that she's more QUALIFIED than Blumenthal that's based on thought and rational analysis? With all due respect you seem to be a solid Linda cheerleader, but can't come up with much in the way of facts to support her candidacy... Besides that she's rich-- you'll remember cheering the fact that she's going to spend $50 million dollars a few posts ago...

By the way... Before someone screams that the PPP poll is left leaning: The Wall Street Journal called it one of the two most accurate polls in the country.
I do believe she is more QUALIFIED than Dick. It's a risk we take, to have someone with decades of business experience to manage the fiscal arena for the state of CT. Blumenthal is an anti-business monster who wants to decrease utility rates and eliminate energy tax credits. This will hurt utility companies bigtime. Anyway, I don't want to get into this now. I feel like we discussed this before. I'm off to my parents house in Granby for dinner and a bowl of popcorn as we watch Linda own Blumy at the debate!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
7,212 posts, read 5,036,336 times
Reputation: 3872
Enjoy. I am going to a comedy night in Hartford. Sounds like much more fun than watching a debate between a truly dreadful candidate and a somewhat dreadful candidate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,003 posts, read 1,257,831 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Enjoy. I am going to a comedy night in Hartford. Sounds like much more fun than watching a debate between a truly dreadful candidate and a somewhat dreadful candidate.
Watching 2 bad candidates trying to sound honest and intelligent is just as entertaining as seeing a comedian! You can have a great discussion with your SO about how many times each one of them screwed up or made promises that they can't keep.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 05:01 PM
 
Location: USA East Coast
4,445 posts, read 4,683,825 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Let's apply it to real life. What if I were to come in and buy YOUR job? Now it know it's not an exact comparison, however, because I had enough money, your out of a job, and I am sitting in your job-- REGARDLESS of my lack of qualifications to actually DO the job. Is that ethical? Is that fair? What if you were truly more qualified and I simply had money...

If the rich continue to purchase political seats we could be well on our way to a plutocracy (if we're not already there). A plutocracy is run by and for the benefit of the rich. You are just labor. It's not what I want and allowing otherwise unqualified candidates to buy political seats is unfathomable.


Besides being rich and Vince McMahon's wife, how is Linda qualified?

If only more people really understood that.

The middle class of this nation lose a little more ground each day.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top