U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2010, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,674 times
Default should I move to Puerto Rico?

Right now I live in Connecticut with my husband and 3 kids. My husband will soon retire and asked me if I wanted to move to Puerto Rico. I have 6 brothers and sisters living in the Island and I believe I will be able to get used to it pretty quickly. One of the things that worrie me are the schools for my kids. I heard that it could be expensive for private schools. Also my husband would need to find a job as a teacher (hopefully) since I will be staying with the kids at least until I feel they have adjusted. We are in between either buying a house here in the US or moving to Puerto Rico. I don't know how easy it will be for my husband to find a job in PR or how reliable it would be once he finds one. I would like to know your input on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 PM

587 posts, read 557,098 times
I've never visited Puerto Rico, but with any potential move you should always visit first. I would also imagine that one would need to be near fluent in spanish to live & function there effectively.

Since kids are involved I wouldn't move them to Puerto Rico until after they have finished school in the USA. If you were moving to Europe I'd have a different opinion though. As their schools seem to be on par with the USA.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 AM

69 posts, read 75,906 times
My wife is from Puerto Rico. Her mother recently spent a month there and wasn't crazy about it. In fact most of my wife's family wouldn't want to live there again. It's hard to find work from what I hear.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:14 AM

6,526 posts, read 8,019,700 times
No offense and I'm not a moderator, but except for the fact that the OP lives in CT, why is this in this forum? If you go down to the "U.S. Territories" section, there is a very active "Puerto Rico" forum that I think could give you a lot more help. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 AM

14,256 posts, read 22,358,872 times
I think the OP is trying to get both views on this question. I will allow it to remain. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM

4,776 posts, read 7,690,509 times
If your husband is retiring, why will he be looking for another job?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:29 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,732,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
If your husband is retiring, why will he be looking for another job?
If I could whip out my crystal ball, I'm willing to bet he's a retired corrections officer, probably mid/late 40's with a full pension from the state moving to PR and doesn't want to sit around and do nothing.

I'd be curious how close I am with my guess.

I tried to say that before, but apparently it came across in a negative way, and wasn't my intention.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:35 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,658,098 times
Do I think you should move to Puerto Rico..........sure, why not! Beautiful beaches and scenery...go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut