Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times

Advertisements

To be fair, there are some not-so-nice parts of Stamford & Norwalk, but they don't compare to the level of crime in the Newark area. If that is your benchmark of acceptability, anywhere in Stamford or Norwalk would be fine!

Since you're young & single, I'd stick to those two towns as they're really the best social scenes in Fairfield County, lots of bars, restaurants, shops and young singles. White Plains would be the best option in Westchester. The rest of Fairfield & Westchester counties, while beautiful, are much more family-oriented suburbs with not much nightlife.

You should be able to find a share for $900/month (try craigslist), but if you want your own place, you'll have to raise your ceiling to $1200 or look in Bridgeport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
Since it sounds like you don't want a long commute to work, I'd suggest looking into Norwalk and Port Chester, NY. It will probably be possible to find a place in Stamford for $900/mo. but I am not sure if you can find an apartment that is updated and in a safe neighborhood. There are lots of apartment renovations/building going on in downtown Stamford but the area is infested with crime. You could probably find a nice, semi-updated apartment in residential Norwalk or Port Chester without worrying about gangs. Norwalk rental ads are here: - Norwalk News - The Hour - Norwalk's Newspaper (http://www.thehour.com/classifieds/0620 - broken link) Check craigslist for Port Chester. Also, it will be almost impossible to find a place to rent for $800-900/mo. with all utilities included; usually only water or water+heat are included in rent.

Edit: It will also be very hard to find an apartment building that allows any types of pets (cats or dogs) in Fairfield County because of concerns about allergies for the tenants that occupy the apartment after you. If you are not willing to part with your dog (and you shouldn't!) you may want to spend more time looking at rentals in residential homes after eliminating apartment buildings that don't accept pets.

Last edited by Kristin85; 10-01-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Honestly, based on what you're looking for Stamford is the place to be.
Mike, the OP can probably find shared housing in Stamford on his budget, but it's really expensive to go out and about in Stamford. On ~45K, he won't have enough $$$$$ to be able to regularly partake in Stamford's "scene".

Old 10-01-2010, 06:04 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I'd recommend Port Chester first, then parts of Norwalk, and then Bridgeport. Bridgeport has a ton of bad areas, but there are also nice ones like Brooklawn, the north end, and Black Rock. Port Chester has some density and some rough/bad areas as well, but reminds me of parts of Brooklyn/Bronx.
You could also check out some roommate situations in Stamford. Stamford is expensive, so that's why a roommate scenario could be a great option for you in order to live here and be close to your job.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
I would like to find somewhere that I can afford a room share of no more than $800-900 a month
You shouldn't have any problem renting a 3/2 house in Stamford or Norwalk for $2400-$2700 a month.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:28 AM

6 posts, read 9,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Honestly, based on what you're looking for Stamford is the place to be. Kidyankee mentioned Norwalk which isn't a bad option. Some people may throw South Norwalk (SoNo) out there, since there's restaurants, bars and stores and a MetroNorth trainstop, but it helps to know your way around there - because in some parts there ARE gangs there. Stamford will cost more and for your budget you'd probably have to find a roommate, but it's probably the best option. It's a great city with lots to do - not on the same level as NYC, but on its own terms pretty good.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? Right outside of Newark is Kearny and Harrison, my guess is you're from one of these? I've been to Kearny, someone I used to know lived there & their Main Street area is pretty nice. (My mother's family is from Union County, so I know that area well.)
Hi Mike,

I didn't bother mentioning because no one has ever heard of Harrison, thats where I am.

I currently live in a 5 bedroom house that I help run for the landlord because I have been here for close to 8 years. I rent out the top floor and do not let them come use the kitchen but I do share with 2 roomates on my floor. One of them is never here and it is just a crash pad for him and the other lives here full time so I am FINE with roomates as long as they are ok with my little 5 pound lap dog (really anyone would be if they let me see the place aka see how nice/quiet he is) and they are ok with occasional loudness (I am reasonable and quiet guy but I enjoy a weekly or bi-weekly loud movie or concern dvd) so it might be better to be in a house than an apartment building.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 AM

6 posts, read 9,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Mike, the OP can probably find shared housing in Stamford on his budget, but it's really expensive to go out and about in Stamford. On ~45K, he won't have enough $$$$$ to be able to regularly partake in Stamford's "scene".
I find a way to go out around NYC on 20k (unemployment) right now. I am very good with money.

Do I take women on $200 dates, ha no but I don't want anyone who requires that and if I do you can "rent" without buying by fronting like you could do those things if you chose to... Thats a different discussion though. Unless the scene has $12-15 beers I should be fine. I prefer to workout and eat right and don't really drink much or eat out. Is it more expensive than NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut