Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 10:06 AM

38 posts, read 49,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Local Tree arborists drop off either cut Logs or full length trees. I then split it myself. The tree guys get charged to dump it somewhere so they LOVE to hear when people want some logs dropped off.

I'll never forget all the messages and even door knocks I got after Irene and Sandy. Arborists were "needing" a place to drop off. I just didn't have the room for them all..
Did the same before.But has broken knee and surgery in July.
Will try again after recovery next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,486,655 times
This might be off-topic a bit, but does anyone have an electric heater (ones that look like a fireplace) I am specifically looking at the Amish Made ones. I have a small house and looking to put one in my living room. Do they work well?

Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,575 times
Still have not turned on the furnace. I have this feeling that its going to be a cold winter. All my wood has been free so far but I had a cord dropped off from a friend that owns a landscaping company just to be safe. First time I actually purchased wood and it was cheap. It is mostly small rounds but it is well seasoned. I can always burn it next year.. It still blows away filling the oil tank... Can't wait to light the stove tomorrow when the cold temps come in..

Old 11-02-2013, 05:32 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Still have not turned on the furnace. I have this feeling that its going to be a cold winter. All my wood has been free so far but I had a cord dropped off from a friend that owns a landscaping company just to be safe. First time I actually purchased wood and it was cheap. It is mostly small rounds but it is well seasoned. I can always burn it next year.. It still blows away filling the oil tank... Can't wait to light the stove tomorrow when the cold temps come in..
Nice! I love pieces like that. Always has that cool look when stacked. You probably don't even have to split those. Just throw them right in.

I'm going to try to go a second year in a row without a drop of oil or the furnace turning on. I noticed when temps are in the single digits OR teens with 20mph+ winds, it was the border line and the stove was working hard to keep the house warm.. Luckily it was only a few days like that. But I think you're right... Something in my gut telling me we might not see a lot of snow but we might get prolonged frigid temps.

I really didn't want to fix my furnace. LOL But maybe a bigger stove is in store next year.

What's funny is... I can buy 1 wood stove a year and still cost less than paying for oil to heat the home.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice! I love pieces like that. Always has that cool look when stacked. You probably don't even have to split those. Just throw them right in.

I'm going to try to go a second year in a row without a drop of oil or the furnace turning on. I noticed when temps are in the single digits OR teens with 20mph+ winds, it was the border line and the stove was working hard to keep the house warm.. Luckily it was only a few days like that. But I think you're right... Something in my gut telling me we might not see a lot of snow but we might get prolonged frigid temps.

I really didn't want to fix my furnace. LOL But maybe a bigger stove is in store next year.

What's funny is... I can buy 1 wood stove a year and still cost less than paying for oil to heat the home.
I just toss them in the stove. They burn great and it is easy to pack them in.

Yep. My furnace is currently not operational. lol. Its brand new but I have to run a new 5 wire thermostat line and do some work on the flue. I heat my water with a electric heat pump hot water tank. Cost about $20 a month to run. So I don't need my furnace for hot water.

I think I will have to fire up the furnace though when we get those teens and single digits. I am more concerned about my unfinished basement and the pipes freezing. Hard to transfer heat down there from the stove. The rest of the house is nice and toasty.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 AM

Loaded the stove to max capacity last night. Windows are open as it is way too hot. LOL

Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Still have not ran the oil furnace once. Wood stove and free wood.... ********* big oil!

Old 11-16-2013, 06:43 AM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Still have not ran the oil furnace once. Wood stove and free wood.... ********* big oil!
Awesome! Same here

Old 11-22-2013, 03:54 PM

200 posts, read 241,265 times
These past 2 weeks have given us some great wood burning weather! With lows in the teens and highs in the 30s, we were cranking here. Here is my favorite part of the wood burning cycle; a short while after loading the stove up on a big bed of red-hot/white coals, the temperature reaches a point where the layers of wood ignite on all sides. Very cool to watch

Old 11-22-2013, 06:06 PM

Nice stove and video. Is that an EPA stove with the burner tubes on top? Looks like secondary combustion. Its so awesome to watch. On my stove the top of the stove becomes a rolling inferno of flames when its hot.

The next week+ looks like nonstop burning. Can't wait! I am going to spend all day tomorrow preparing. The cold snuck up fast and I got a huge load of logs dumped last week I have to process. I may even be out there Sunday in the cold. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut