Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2015, 05:05 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

I have to get a count going again... I think I used over 2.5 cords now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice pic. I can't quite put my finger on this! I've been trying to figure it out for a long time now.

I mean shouldn't a piece burn at its own pace? it doesn't sense the air temp so why would it burn "faster"? So why is it that the stove swallow more pieces when its frigid cold? I understand we need to keep it burning hotter but why would the same piece last 1 hour with temps in the 30s and half hour with temps in the teens? Doesn't make sense..

I would think there's more draft with warmer weather (rising air) so it shouldn't be a draft thing.

I know when I hear an answer I'll be like "ohhhhhh". lol

UNLESS... I'm not visioning it correctly...

I think it's the fact that instead of letting the residual heat from the stove sit after a piece has ben burned, we have to throw another piece in there to keep the room temp from dropping.

So essentially you're throwing more pieces in instead of waiting longer?
When it's colder out the stove draws more. This is due to the temperature differential between indoors and outdoors. The greater the draw, the faster the wood burns.
This is a great site for all things wood burning.
A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - woodheat.org home

Old 01-31-2015, 07:29 AM

16 posts, read 36,007 times
Reading this thread over the past year helped seal the deal for me. We had an insert put in on 12/30! I'm still brand new and probably burning very inefficiently but we love it and will get it figured out over time. Going to pick up another cord at the in-laws today.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildenGuy View Post
Reading this thread over the past year helped seal the deal for me. We had an insert put in on 12/30! I'm still brand new and probably burning very inefficiently but we love it and will get it figured out over time. Going to pick up another cord at the in-laws today.
NICE! Welcome to the wood club.

My favorite part.... Going to get some firewood with a snowpack on the ground. And yeah... It's time for the Cherries with this type of airmass.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
We've gone thru probably in the neighborhood of 3 cords.....just brought in 2 more wheel barrows full. Supply is running low, gonna be a busy Spring splitting wood to try and keep ahead

Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Amazing how I timed this all. I got to the Cherry stack at the end of January and working through it now.

Cherry and Oaks a must with this air! 13° at lunchtime. 5° this morning.

Wood stove damper slightly open and its as if there's no heat coming from it. So fully opened (which would be burning way too hot) is the way to go with this air mass.

I'm still amazing my furnace hasn't turned on with the air outside 4-15°F and it's 67-72°F in the house. These are the times you truly appreciate the stove.

Going past 3 cords this winter now (Oct-Feb).

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM

200 posts, read 241,347 times
Quote:
I'm still amazing my furnace hasn't turned on with the air outside 4-15°F and it's 67-72°F in the house.
I hear that! The only time my furnace runs lately is here and there between the hours of 3:00am and 7:00am ... simply because I'm too lazy to get up to get the stove burning good and hot during that time.

Quote:
Going past 3 cords this winter now (Oct-Feb).
I'm into my 4th cord at the moment...I usually go through 2.5 - 3 cords

Quote:
These are the times you truly appreciate the stove.
Absolutely! Especially as I watch the parade of oil trucks in and out of all my my neighbors' driveways

Old 02-13-2015, 10:46 AM

This week, and likely, the next 10 days....woodstove in the morning, till around 3 pm......then we set the thermostats and burn Oil to keep the Crawl Space (Insulated), and Baseboard pipes warm. Woodstove will warm the rooms....the pipes, not so much

Old 02-13-2015, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 241,347 times
It's just a tad toasty in the house right now...gotta close down the air a little bit!

Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildenGuy View Post
Check these sites.........
A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - woodheat.org home

Hearth.com Forums Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut