Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,355 times

Advertisements

Thermostat was set to 60. Heard the furnace kick on this morning and said I think its time.

First fire of the year. By late morning it was too hot inside and I had to open the windows. lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
I noticed those who use firewood are happy about it and love to share stories.. Something natural and cozy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Thermostat was set to 60. Heard the furnace kick on this morning and said I think its time.

First fire of the year. By late morning it was too hot inside and I had to open the windows. lol.

Ha. You held out longer than me this year. I noticed there is a little skill involved to figure out how much to throw in or what type of piece it is and how long or hot it will burn.

Was 60° at 7am. lit stove. Put 2 Small Cherry pieces in, closed damper.. 68° at 9am. I let it die down when temp was passing 65.

Sun warms inside during the day.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
We've burned some Duraflame logs in the fireplace. STILL need to buy firewood (darling, PLEASE).

But look what we got!! I'm excited about it. There's a chimney in the center of the house where the oil furnace used to vent from the basement, then gas furnace...now there's electric. $$$ cha-ching Anyway, the chimney comes up from the basement at a good place to set this little gem. We need to finish the remodel first.

ALSO, I want to get the chimney sweep tools!! We've been talking about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilly, Got My Wood and Pellets Burning :)-coalstove.jpg  

Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,373,765 times
For you folks who are into wooburning, check out Hearth.com forum.....huge amount of knowledge from the posters.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
For you folks who are into wooburning, check out Hearth.com forum.....huge amount of knowledge from the posters.
Cool. I'm usually over at the arboristsite.com site. Not just arborist but folks showing their firewood stuff. Some Cool thread with pics. Firewood, Heating & Wood Burning Equipment

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
I would be going to those sites but I thought someone could weigh in here faster. Don't mean to hijack.

We pulled up some decent oak flooring and it's sitting outside awaiting disposal. It's from the early 60's and probably has had carpeting on it most of the time. It doesn't seem to have a ton of finish on it. It's been outside in the weather a couple of months (maybe 2 good rainfalls).

We are thinking about cutting it up and burning it in the fireplace. What do you think, anyone?

Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,373,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I would be going to those sites but I thought someone could weigh in here faster. Don't mean to hijack.

We pulled up some decent oak flooring and it's sitting outside awaiting disposal. It's from the early 60's and probably has had carpeting on it most of the time. It doesn't seem to have a ton of finish on it. It's been outside in the weather a couple of months (maybe 2 good rainfalls).

We are thinking about cutting it up and burning it in the fireplace. What do you think, anyone?
I wouldn't burn it, I'd be a little afraid of any finish that may still be in wood...maybe in a burn barrel out in the open air.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:41 PM

Chilly outside but not cold.

Time to throw another piece of wood in the stove.

Temperatures struggling past low 40s today. Clouds and Rain moving in tomorrow. I want to upgrade this stove to a bigger one even though it does the job.

Furnace has not come on yet BTW. Might go all year without needing to.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:50 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,355 times
It just doesn't feel like winter and its almost mid January....

50 degrees out and stacking. Feels like Sept/Oct when I am normally getting my wood ready...

I have barely touched my stacks. Been mostly burning scraps around the yard.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM

785 posts, read 823,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
It just doesn't feel like winter and its almost mid January....

50 degrees out and stacking. Feels like Sept/Oct when I am normally getting my wood ready...

I have barely touched my stacks. Been mostly burning scraps around the yard.
Where do you get your wood from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut