Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM

200 posts, read 241,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
We have a Harmon...this will be its 2nd season in use..I don't know the model right now...the owners manual is MIA. And I have no idea what a catalytic stove is or if mine is one???
It seems Harman makes two wood insert models: the 300i and the Exception...neither of which uses a catalyst element. The 300i uses Harman's own technology, called FireDome, to burn of the emissions. FireDome is a ceramic refractory unit. The Exception uses what they call After Burner (mixes air and emissions at high temps).

Based on their 300i brochure (http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/300i.pdf), we are in what they label Zone 2, so the stove should be heating up to 2500 sqft.

The Exception model (http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads...ION_INSERT.PDF) seems less capable and will heat 1200 to 2000 sqft. That still is a lot more than a single room for most!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
My insert isn't noisy at all, either. I have a window on the door to enjoy the fire, too.
Nice! The glass makes a huge difference...always nice to see the fire dancing around I'm not sure why the one Yankeerose00 had was so noisy...possible that the fans were just really caked with dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,978 times
I'm sure the stove insert we had was just old. The fans weren't super noisy. Just enough that it was annoying.
Now if I could have a fireplace insert that allowed me to see and hear a fire, that would be much more enticing.

I take it the newer inserts look more like this:
http://www.thefire-place.com/KozyHea...haska_2092.gif

Ours looked like this. It was probably old school like everything else in that house was.

http://actonwoodpellets.com/images/008.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM

200 posts, read 241,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
I'm sure the stove insert we had was just old. The fans weren't super noisy. Just enough that it was annoying.
Now if I could have a fireplace insert that allowed me to see and hear a fire, that would be much more enticing.

I take it the newer inserts look more like this:
http://www.thefire-place.com/KozyHea...haska_2092.gif

Ours looked like this. It was probably old school like everything else in that house was.

http://actonwoodpellets.com/images/008.jpg (broken link)
Inserts vary so much in the looks department regardless of age. Mine is probably a decade old now...here is a pic.

Here is a closer look at the door...just loaded with wood...so flames are just getting going.

Like I said a few posts back...the glass comes out and is replaced by a screen so we can use it as a fireplace in the not so cold months.
Attached Thumbnails
Chilly, Got My Wood and Pellets Burning :)-100_0707.jpg   Chilly, Got My Wood and Pellets Burning :)-100_0730.jpg  

Old 11-04-2010, 12:21 PM

834 posts, read 2,277,978 times
I really like that insert! I like the idea of either the glass or just having it open and used as a regular fireplace. Ours didn't offer either option. It had the metal door that had to stay closed, otherwise the way it protruded from the fireplace could have led to sparks flying out.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Yeah, doors are definetly a must on wood inserts or stoves...kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice fire going without seeing it.

Man I cant wait for that 5 foot blizzard so I can cuddle up around my stove...not only to provide heat but light also... while everyone else uses flashlights. lol

Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, doors are definetly a must on wood inserts or stoves...kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice fire going without seeing it.

Man I cant wait for that 5 foot blizzard so I can cuddle up around my stove...not only to provide heat but light also... while everyone else uses flashlights. lol
I can add one more situation when you should not bother Cambium on top of when he is snow plowing and lawn mowing:

During a blizzard when he is cuddling near his stove.

Luckily I have a generator =P

Old 11-06-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I can add one more situation when you should not bother Cambium on top of when he is snow plowing and lawn mowing:

During a blizzard when he is cuddling near his stove.

Luckily I have a generator =P
Generators are nice but what if power is out for a week? How much gas do you need to store to have that available? Remember Washington DC last February? Funny how humans have short term memories on everything...(not you in particular...in general) Suburbs and areas were without heat and power for weeks... Inside temps got to low 30s...pipes were bursting...people had no food....streets were completly blocked and impassable after the 4 feet had fallen.

And keep in mind....IF IT HAPPENED IN WASHINGTON DC WHICH IS MANY MILES "SOUTH" OF US...IT FOR SURE CAN HAPPEN HERE. 4 FEET OF SNOW. Insane.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:16 PM

BTW, my furnace only turns on for 20 minutes at night.

Not only saving money but less wear and tear on furnace. Should last me 70 years at this pace.

Oil slowly inching up...$84 a barrel.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Generators are nice but what if power is out for a week? How much gas do you need to store to have that available? Remember Washington DC last February? Funny how people have short term memories on everything... Suburbs and areas were without heat and power for weeks... Inside temps got to low 30s...pipes were bursting...people had no food....streets were completly blocked and impassable after the 4 feet had fallen.

And keep in mind....IF IT HAPPENED IN WASHINGTON DC WHICH IS MANY MILES "SOUTH" OF US...IT FOR SURE CAN HAPPEN HERE. 4 FEET OF SNOW. Insane.
That is true. I'll simply drain all my pipes and drive down to Florida then.

I do have a stove actually but it heats up a very weird spot - my kitchen. Its vented to the back of my Masonry. I have no idea why the previous owner did this instead of installing a fireplace insert at the front of the Masonry that heats up the family room directly. Maybe a stove is more efficient than a fireplace insert?

My designer recommended me to take out the stove and install pantry cabinets but I got a feeling the stove will save me if the FED continues with QE3,4,5,6,7................

I also read that stove works better than fireplace because fireplace sucks heat out?

Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
. Maybe a stove is more efficient than a fireplace insert?

My designer recommended me to take out the stove and install pantry cabinets but I got a feeling the stove will save me if the FED continues with QE3,4,5,6,7................

I also read that stove works better than fireplace because fireplace sucks heat out?
Stove more efficient --depends.

QE3,4,5,6,7 - LMAO...I know right..but in defense the QE is better than the Stim1 or Stim2,3,4 obama wants. Lol

Fireplaces are a waste. Maybe previous owner didn't have the money to buy or install an insert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut