Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,915,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The same goes for outdoor furnaces which has recently been stopped here in CT.
They didn't ban them, they just regulated them to a level that disqualifies most homeowners. Rediculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Got my wood stove going this morning... Was 45 felt like 41 at 7am.

Counting the days where either I turn on the stove or thermostat
(20 minutes or more)

Wood Stove - 2
Thermostat - 0

This is an older pic. Now I got tiles on the wall and a neater stack on the floor. LOL Its 16" away from the wall which is requirement from this stove anyway.
Well, I didn't want to ruin your fun when you posted this...but it's official. I used my first drop of oil last night. I can usually get to Jan 1 but this arctic snap did me in.

The furnace kicked in about 4:30am, the stove just couldn't go on full boil for 8 hours. But it's off now and the fire glowing bright again.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,826,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Well, I didn't want to ruin your fun when you posted this...but it's official. I used my first drop of oil last night. I can usually get to Jan 1 but this arctic snap did me in.

The furnace kicked in about 4:30am, the stove just couldn't go on full boil for 8 hours. But it's off now and the fire glowing bright again.
How much wood have you burned this season? We have almost gone through a cord just for our insert...trying to make it last until our next cord is delivered in a few weeks....

Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
How much wood have you burned this season? We have almost gone through a cord just for our insert...trying to make it last until our next cord is delivered in a few weeks....
Well, I cut, split and stack wood from my own property (Old farm meadow with past their prime old large oaks) so I don't really know exactly. But judging by the amount and stacks, so far I'd say 1.5 maybe 1.75 cords? When the weather goes cold like it has this week, I start blowing through it pretty quick as the damper is mostly open.

I *could* have gone without oil last night, but I just don't like when the temp dips below 66* for the little ones.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM

200 posts, read 240,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Hi renovating...I have been burning in an insert since late october ...24/7 for roughly 75% of the days/nights, the other 25% just nights...and we are probably at the cord mark. I will go through (usually) 3 to 3.5 cords a season...a season for me is late Oct through early March.

You should really consider (space permitting) getting all your wood delivered up front in April or May. Better yet, this year's wood should be last year's orders. Any wood delivered now and said to be seasoned is a lie. Sure, the trees may not have come down yesterday, but they were probably split very recently and that's when it can dry.

And, for the record...no oil yet! For home heat that is...we have a tankless coil for hot water so I can't say the furnace never runs But, it's great that the furnace only works as hard in the winter as it does in the summer!

Tonight will be a good test...8 degrees..yikes. We have been at a steady 72° with the stove through this cold snap.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
Hi renovating...I have been burning in an insert since late october ...24/7 for roughly 75% of the days/nights, the other 25% just nights...and we are probably at the cord mark. I will go through (usually) 3 to 3.5 cords a season...a season for me is late Oct through early March.

You should really consider (space permitting) getting all your wood delivered up front in April or May. Better yet, this year's wood should be last year's orders. Any wood delivered now and said to be seasoned is a lie. Sure, the trees may not have come down yesterday, but they were probably split very recently and that's when it can dry.

And, for the record...no oil yet! For home heat that is...we have a tankless coil for hot water so I can't say the furnace never runs But, it's great that the furnace only works as hard in the winter as it does in the summer!

Tonight will be a good test...8 degrees..yikes. We have been at a steady 72° with the stove through this cold snap.
How big is your house? Ditto on the tankless except ours is on demand, wall mounted gas.

I should clarify too...we live in a looong ranch, and the stove is at the opposite side as the bedrooms, so when I say 66* it's in the bedrooms with the doors cracked. The living room and main living areas are still toasty.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:13 AM

200 posts, read 240,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
How big is your house? Ditto on the tankless.
2200 sqft. I use a Vermont Castings Large Winter Warmer wood burning insert. It has a catalyst element that really drives up the temp of the stove with the damper always closed. I keep the air intake at it's most closed position most of the time and can get about 6 hours between loads. That stove really cranks! Honestly, before this cold snap, we had windows cracked open...it get's too hot. But too hot is a great problem to have.

Last edited by sgorneau; 12-09-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
2200 sqft. I use a Vermont Castings Large Winter Warmer wood burning insert. It has a catalyst element that really drives up the temp of the stove with the damper always closed. I keep the air intake at it's most closed position most of the time and can get about 6 hours between loads. That stove really cranks! Honestly, before this cold snap, we had windows cracked open...it get's too hot. But too hot is a great problem to have.
Nice. Vermont Castings are not cheap, but very nice stoves. I have a catalyst model too, what a difference! Even though I've gone through the house in just about every way, my biggest drawback is the 1953 1.5" fiberglass insulation in the walls. That's the one part I have not gotten too yet. Attic done, windows etc. There is "fiberboard" on the exterior sheething as well but I'm sure there is a total R value of about 5. LOL

Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM

83,275 posts, read 74,477,134 times
Excellent posts today...JViello beat me this year... Good run... My furnace went on couple weeks ago.

Hasn't run all day today...it usually doesnt run during the day. Only at night..Stove too small to keep going all night. Investing in a bigger one next year.

Nice wood stove showroom in Milford and Stamford.

I burned about 3/4 cord past 4 weeks. Lately the stove has been really thirsty. I usually go through 4 cords a winter.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:39 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,372,917 times
Wood stoves are good but wood gassification boilers are even better. I have a HS Tarm MB Solo. It stands besides my oil boiler and uses wood to heat the wood boiler to about 200 Degrees F and circulates the water between the two boilers. When there is a call for heat, the water is circulated to that zone and the cooler water comes back. This precipitates the damper to open more at the bottom of the wood boiler and increases the flames to burn more wood to heat more water. It's a great system because the wood heat is evenly distributed through the existing baseboard heaters. Wood stoves heat the air mostly around them and then gradually cools the farther away it travels from the stove. They also produce a lot of creosote if they burn slower when the area is sufficiently heated to the comfort zone.

The gassification boiler has a series of baffles that the burned wood gases flow through that reburns those gases so I don't get any creosote in the chimney flue or the stove pipe connecting from the boiler to the flue. I have all four of my chimneys inspected and cleaned every year but the one for the boiler has never been cleaned since it has no creosoyte. My chimney sweep can't believe it. The only creosote that is produced collects in the firebox and I have a spray solution that dries it out and flakes it away as I scrape the inside of the firebox. I burn 5 cords of wood to heat a three zoned, 3000 sq ft area, from Dec to March. Use no oil in thiat time unless fire goes out and the oil burner will automatically come on.

My next heating system will be a geothemal system no wood, no oil, and very little electricty.

http://www.woodboilers.com/wood-boilers.aspx (broken link)

http://www.3cats.com/TARM.htm

http://timberbuysell.com/Community/DisplayNews.asp?id=488 (broken link)

Quote:
WOOD GASIFICATION BOILERS
HS TARM Solo Plus boilers provide a convenient, safe and environmentally friendly way to heat your home and domestic hot water with wood. Solo Plus boilers assure the independence and self-reliance that heating with wood provides. They use substantially less wood than conventional boilers and outdoor water stoves.

Solo Plus boilers burn so clean, they are safer (virtually no risk of a chimney fire) and result in cleaner air for everyone. They also help to substantially reduce greenhouse gas emissions. HS-TARM Solo Plus boilers enable you to increase the warm security of your home in a safe, environmentally responsible way. Everyone wins!
For more than 70 years, HS-TARM has been a pioneer in the development and production of residential central heating equipment. HS-TARM's primary objective is quality, function and appearance... excellence on all levels. In fact, HS-TARM has earned the prestigious ISO 9001 certification, which assures consistently reliable product quality.
Operational reliability, unique firing efficiency, total quality, and concern for the environment, are all factors that have been instrumental in HS-TARM becoming an internationally recognized supplier of central heating boilers.

Combustion is regulated by a thermostatically controlled draft blower that forces combustion air into the boiler's ceramic combustion tunnel. Here, unusually effective combustion takes place at very high temperatures allowing the Solo Plus to use very little fuel in comparison to conventional boilers.

HOW THE SOLO PLUS-MKII WORKS
The combustion system employed in Solo Plus boilers solves most of the problems associated with conventional wood boilers and outdoor water stoves.

Here's why: The wood gasification combustion process in the Solo Plus boiler begins when the small, quiet draft fan turns on in response to the boiler's heat controls. The draft fan blows fresh air into the top of the firebox and down through the wood and live charcoal bed. This hot air and smoke mixture is forced through a slot in the top of the ceramic combustion chamber. Super-heated secondary air is then injected into these gases. The combination of the wood gas and smoke with the high temperature oxygen results in a super-hot 1800 flame in the ceramic combustion tunnel. The gases stay in this hot, turbulent environment long enough to achieve extremely high combustion efficiency. The resultant heat passes into the vertical heat exchange tubes giving off heat to the boiler water for house heating and domestic hot water demands. The combination of optimum combustion and maximum heat exchange efficiency is what yields the unusually high overall boiler heating efficiencies of 80-85%.

Last edited by brien51; 12-10-2010 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut