Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:43 PM

83,321 posts, read 74,627,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Ohhh, I'm jealous of that stove : ) I don't have one here and I miss having one (I did for 10 years at another place). I love my home but I do miss coming in after a long cold day of work, and warming up in my rocker by the stove...

I got an estimate for $5000 for a stove, hearth and piping-maybe someday I'll do it!
You must be talking about an insert..I didn't want to spend $3000 on one because I didn't think I would be at same house for more than 2 years.....I paid $325 for my stove 3yrs ago off craigslist. Brand new still on crate. Its small only fitting up to 15" pieces but it does the job. $350 for flue and parts. 1st year paid for itself. Energy prices will go up if its going to be a cold start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,841,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
dont you have to maintain the chimney for around $600 / year for burning wood?
I can't remember what we paid last year to have our chimney cleaned, but it was around $200, nowhere near $600.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM

34,680 posts, read 56,455,731 times
I have a question. I see from your picture that you have this wood stove in a cormer against plain walls. I thought that code required there to be a non-flamable surface around it? I only ask because I saw a similar set up somewhere else and wondered the same thing. Jay

Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,845,589 times
I was freezing in my bed underneath the sheets this morning. Thankfully, my radiator kicked on. I got the thermostat cranked at 77 degrees. Today marks the first day I had to wear my North Face jacket to work. As I've said in previous threads, COLD SEASON HAS BEGUN!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have a question. I see from your picture that you have this wood stove in a cormer against plain walls. I thought that code required there to be a non-flamable surface around it? I only ask because I saw a similar set up somewhere else and wondered the same thing. Jay
Code is the requirements from stove manufactuer and each stove is different. Mine is 16" away from combustable walls, 11 from non combust.
Check your manual, find the model and go online. Rule of thumb is kick your stove on and after a while touch the wall with palm of hand...if it's warm thats fine, if its hot to the touch then you better move it away more. After time sheetrock will get weaker and dry out.

But like I said, I tiled mine...will have to get a new pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I was freezing in my bed underneath the sheets this morning. Thankfully, my radiator kicked on. I got the thermostat cranked at 77 degrees. Today marks the first day I had to wear my North Face jacket to work. As I've said in previous threads, COLD SEASON HAS BEGUN!!!!

77 ??? Holy smokes. Just move to Florida already. lol

Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Planning on starting fire after 5pm...Thats

3 Stove
0 Thermostat

I'm hoping I go till Nov. 1st without turning thermostat on.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,845,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Code is the requirements from stove manufactuer and each stove is different. Mine is 16" away from combustable walls, 11 from non combust.
Check your manual, find the model and go online. Rule of thumb is kick your stove on and after a while touch the wall with palm of hand...if it's warm thats fine, if its hot to the touch then you better move it away more. After time sheetrock will get weaker and dry out.

But like I said, I tiled mine...will have to get a new pic.

77 ??? Holy smokes. Just move to Florida already. lol
Lol, well although it's set at 77, it actually feels more like 72 inside. I like it on the warm side, in the cold season. My apartment is all cement walls, so I think it makes it cold, even if the thermostat is at 70.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:57 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,208,235 times
Quote:
You must be talking about an insert..I didn't want to spend $3000 on one because I didn't think I would be at same house for more than 2 years.....I paid $325 for my stove 3yrs ago off craigslist. Brand new still on crate. Its small only fitting up to 15" pieces but it does the job. $350 for flue and parts. 1st year paid for itself. Energy prices will go up if its going to be a cold start.

No, not talking about an insert-I don't have a fireplace or chimney. So, I'd have to have a new, big (good-sized house) stove, the hearth pad for under it and the fireproof for the walls, and the stainless-steel stove pipe that would go up 2 stories...maybe someday. I was so sad to find out how much it costs to do this, since our other house came with the stove I had no idea. I agree that the stoves pay for themselves!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
No, not talking about an insert-I don't have a fireplace or chimney. So, I'd have to have a new, big (good-sized house) stove, the hearth pad for under it and the fireproof for the walls, and the stainless-steel stove pipe that would go up 2 stories...maybe someday. I was so sad to find out how much it costs to do this, since our other house came with the stove I had no idea. I agree that the stoves pay for themselves!
I got quotes of $1000-$1500 to install, I let them have my thoughts about that...

I bought the parts to go up 2 stories, ($350), Took me 6 hours to install. Never done it before. Read instructions about 12 times. lol

As far as fireproofing the walls, thats over kill. You can just tile a 3x3 section around the stove and thats fine. Sheetrock is rated to withstand up to 110 degrees. If you're room is 95 degrees you got bigger problems than the walls. lol

Dont give up on it. You can find a stove, buy the parts and install within a week. You got time.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:53 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,065,734 times
Quote:
I got quotes of $1000-$1500 to install, I let them have my thoughts about that...

I bought the parts to go up 2 stories, ($350), Took me 6 hours to install. Never done it before. Read instructions about 12 times. lol

As far as fireproofing the walls, thats over kill. You can just tile a 3x3 section around the stove and thats fine. Sheetrock is rated to withstand up to 110 degrees. If you're room is 95 degrees you got bigger problems than the walls. lol

Dont give up on it. You can find a stove, buy the parts and install within a week. You got time.
Your town doesn't have any rules about stove installation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut